Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHooliganX View Post
    As of writing. Xbox 360 avatars can now have certain shirts from certain clubs in Europe.
    Only 2 english teams are available currently though. Those being Liverpool (who get the full kit) and Manchester City.

You can however get every 08/09 premier league badge as a gamer pic.
    The most 3 used football badges (according to 360voice)
    is:
    1st - Aston Villa
    2nd - Wigan Athletic
    3rd - Manchester United
    Can you?? Where? Link me, show me!!
    That means that i'll be able to get a BORO badge then?
    sadface... that's the season we got relegated

It is not uncommon, after a series of dubious refereeing decisions, for fans across the world to ask the following question- “is the ref pissed?” But who would have believed that one day the answer to that particular poser would be- “Actually, yes he is. He is hammered!”

To set the scene, it is a Belarusian Premier Division match between Vitebsk & Naftan. The official in question is Sergei Shmolik, the referee who officiated England’s 6-0 win over Luxembourg at Wembley back in 1999 and one who was voted as Belarus’ finest in 2007. A decent pedigree. But there was nothing decent about his behaviour here. According to reports, the referee spent much of the game staggering around the centre circle, failing to keep up with play, and refusing to issue any cards whatsoever, despite some tasty tackles.

At the end of the game, Shmolik was helped off the pitch by another official like a drunken uncle at a family wedding, waving to the crowd as he left. He was taken to hospital for tests, which revealed that he had huge levels of alcohol in his system. The Belarus FA acted quickly, suspending Shmolik, who claimed that his strange performance was due in part to “a bad back” rather than “a bad pint”

Dogs and football rarely mix. Just ask Chic Brodie, the former Brentford keeper who suffered a career-ending injury after being attacked by an uninvited four legged guest. How many childhood games were ruined for you by the arrival of an over-eager, and less-than-friendly canine pitch invader?

But this particular dog/football story has a more comedic element to it. It takes place in the 1962 during the World Cup in Chile, as Jimmy Greaves’ England take on the holders Brazil. On rushes a small black dog, chasing after the ball with more energy than some of the England players could muster. Several players try to apprehend the dog, but none are as clever about it as Greaves, who gets down on all fours to beckon the dog towards him. It works as well, but there is always a twist with this kind of story, and so it comes as the terrified pooch proceeds to urinate all over Greavesie’s pristine white England jersey. A truly classic World Cup moment, one that legendary Brazil star Garrincha enjoyed so much, he took him home as a pet (the dog, not Greaves).

As a Saturday league connoisseur, I am used to turning up at some ramshackle ground in the middle of nowhere at ten to three, only to find that either the game is off, the other team hasn’t turned up, or that the venue has changed. Sometimes all three.

But when the game in question is a World Cup qualifier, questions have to be asked. Scotland were due to play Estonia in Tallinn at 6.45pm on 9 October 1996. But Scots manager Craig Brown was concerned about the quality of Kadriorg Stadium’s floodlights, and FIFA shared those concerns. The game was switched to a 3 o’clock kick off, at 9 o’clock the same morning. Estonia protested that they were not given sufficient notice, or preparation for the game, and simply didn’t turn up.

In some of the most farcical scenes ever seen, Scotland’s players- including full debutants Billy Dodds & Jackie McNamara- were made to line up, stand on ceremony through both national anthems, and then kick off the game. Three seconds later, the referee blew his whistle and Scotland were on their way with a default 3-0 victory.

Or so they thought. FIFA later ordered the game to be replayed at a neutral venue and, typically for the Scots, they were held to a frustrating goalless draw in Monaco’s Stade Louis II stadium a couple of months later.

Those early World Cup finals really were a bit special weren’t they? What with girders and politics and the entire competition being hosted within one city. But nothing my friends, can beat this for downright farce.

Montevideo. The semi finals of the first ever World Cup. Argentina v the USA. July 1930. The Americans were growing increasingly displeased with what they perceived to be “rough-house tactics” from the Argentinean’s. So much so in fact that after one particularly heavy foul, the US trainer leapt from the bench and raced onto the field of play to remonstrate with the referee. In his anger, the sandwich-short-of-a-picnic fella threw his medical bag to the floor, cracking open a bottle of chloroform, and knocking himself spark out.

Galvanised by this incredible setback, the Americans proceeded to play with style, grace, panache and poise, losing 6-1.

When you need a win in the Maracana stadium to have any chance of qualifying for the World Cup, you know you are in trouble. And when you are down by a goal to nil with just twenty minutes remaining, desperation starts to kick in.

That was the situation facing Chile as they trailed Brazil in Rio back in September 1989. Fortunately their goalkeeper, Roberto Rojas, had a Baldrick-esque “cunning plan” up his sleeve. Literally.
    Producing a razor blade he had stashed in his gloves pre-match, Rojas cut himself on the forehead, and fell to the floor with blood streaming from the wound. Nearby, a flare thrown from the stands was smouldering. Rojas’ concerned team-mates carried him from the field, and refused to go back out to play, citing “unsafe conditions”.

However, what Rojas had reckoned without was…..the fact that there were a million cameras inside the Maracana that night, and as luck would have it, a good few of them had seen the firework land nowhere near him, whilst a fair few had seen him cut his own bonce. Brazil were awarded a 2-0 win, and Chile were not only eliminated from the 1990 World Cup, but banned from the 1994 tournament as well. Rojas was banned for life by FIFA- although the ban was lifted in 2001 under appeal….when he was 44.

Some good did come of it all however, the fan who threw the flare- Rosemary de Mello- went on to pose for Playboy, and appeared in several adverts on Brazilian TV. Reality TV was born.

That's it for today folks, back tomorrow!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsta666 View Post
    Can you?? Where? Link me, show me!!
    That means that i'll be able to get a BORO badge then?
    sadface... that's the season we got relegated
    I don't know on the marketplace were. I have a friend who had Wigans so i'll message him.

Quote Originally Posted by VanHooliganX View Post
    I don't know on the marketplace were. I have a friend who had Wigans so i'll message him.
    wigan is not there anymore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pauadrian View Post
    wigan is not there anymore
    SuperDrew1 still has his
    But probably taken down now. Xbox get rid of everything that barely sells. Such as Games on demand, avatar items and other stuff.

Stories:
    Speaking of Wigan. They're usually 1 of the favs to go down. But they still have never been relegated, sometimes they do just enough to stay up but they're great escape artists.
    Arsenal and QPR currently hold the biggest loses of this season. At 8-2 and 6-0. Whilst Newcastle have the most 0-0 at 2 currently. Against Arsenal and QPR.