1. #40291
    I love bad bitches; that my fuckin' problem. And, yeah, I like to fuck; I got a fuckin' problem.

  2. #40292
    Black Ninja! akbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,268
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Dear Youtube....

    If a song is under 5 years old pointing out that you are still listening to it in 2013 is utterly pointless.

    Sincerely,
    Guy who wonders why he even reads youtube comments.
    Some Youtube comments are absolutely hilarious.

  3. #40293
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Batmania
    Posts
    24,366
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I always expect the best on some videos that I enjoy. A lot of the music that I like have great comments on the videos that make me chuckle... I only read the top comments for the most part unless there is an obvious troll that people are feeding. The fact that people still fall for trolls amuses me.
    Not everyone is a 24/7 net person. There are casual users you know. There are people unaware of what a troll even is. You know why? Because it's meaningless to a lot of people. Let me tell you something, people who frequent the internet think that it's the be all and end all of the universe and that nothing exists beyond it's hallowed halls. Bullshit. I didn't know what a troll was before I used this site. Why? Because my life didn't center around the imaginary sphere of geekdom that it is internet. And for some reason the prevailing attitude of internet users is that if you are unaware of the things that happen here then you are stupid or something. The holier than thou belief that things that happen here are more important and earth shattering than they actually are. Internetisms might be the be all and end all for some but they live in tiny universes of their own minds, blathering on about trolling and blogging and other embarrassing claptrap. I'm proud to have broader horizons and not knowing a few internet idiosyncracies does not make me less so.

  4. #40294
    Black Ninja! Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    16,503
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Not everyone is a 24/7 net person. There are casual users you know. There are people unaware of what a troll even is. You know why? Because it's meaningless to a lot of people. Let me tell you something, people who frequent the internet think that it's the be all and end all of the universe and that nothing exists beyond it's hallowed halls. Bullshit. I didn't know what a troll was before I used this site. Why? Because my life didn't center around the imaginary sphere of geekdom that it is internet. And for some reason the prevailing attitude of internet users is that if you are unaware of the things that happen here then you are stupid or something. The holier than thou belief that things that happen here are more important and earth shattering than they actually are. Internetisms might be the be all and end all for some but they live in tiny universes of their own minds, blathering on about trolling and blogging and other embarrassing claptrap. I'm proud to have broader horizons and not knowing a few internet idiosyncracies does not make me less so.
    The idea of trolling isn't just an internet thing. In fact I don't troll online but I often troll my friends because it's much more fun. We just call it other things, in fact I didn't know about trolls until about a year ago. Don't get me wrong I am on the internet often but before this site I was pretty much only on here to talk to friends on social media... I am sure I don't know plenty of internet idiosyncrasies but I think the idea of posting something like "Dave Grohl has no talent! He can't even play multiple instruments." is obviously fishing for a reaction.

    I do agree that we do take online "geekdom" too seriously at points and people do let it bleed out to their real lives which can be strange at times. I don't per say consider myself a geek so I wouldn't say someone who didn't know all the idiosyncrasies was an idiot. I would just say it's fun to see someone successfully get another person so riled up about an issue they most likely could care less about. Don't get me wrong trolls often go too far and that's obnoxious... but a good troll is amusing at times.

    Also Akbar you are correct. Some comments on youtube are gold!
    #BeJelly


  5. #40295
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Batmania
    Posts
    24,366
    Blog Entries
    6
    Like, it's all fine and good for someone to have an encyclopedic knowledge of something like Pokemon or Power Rangers; it's another thing entirely if that someone was to deride those who don't. So, same/same. Just because it's your whole world (not meaning YOU Dennis, just generalising) doesn't mean it should be that way for everyone. I just hate the ridiculousness of that idea.

  6. #40296
    Black Ninja! K2Jelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Crying My Eyes Out About Everything
    Posts
    16,687
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Like, it's all fine and good for someone to have an encyclopedic knowledge of something like Pokemon or Power Rangers; it's another thing entirely if that someone was to deride those who don't. So, same/same. Just because it's your whole world (not meaning YOU Dennis, just generalising) doesn't mean it should be that way for everyone. I just hate the ridiculousness of that idea.
    It's funny you mention Power Rangers and Pokemon because those were the two subjects that I got ridiculed for in my circle of friends because I didn't know(or care to know) about it as much as they did. They were all like, "Hurr, hurr! You don't know all of the character's names from all of the season by heart? You only know about Rita Repulsa?! Neeeeewb!!!" "Noooo, stupid! Poison's ineffective against Ground type not Rock type! GTFO and read a book or something!"

    This sort of sanctimonious attitude also frequents among older wrestling fans who look down on younger fans for not knowing about anything outside of the Attitude Era or this current era. "Fucking PG era bitch! Read up on all of Bruno Sammartino's title defenses before you can even begin to call yourself a wrestling fan!"


  7. #40297
    Black Ninja! Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    16,503
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Like, it's all fine and good for someone to have an encyclopedic knowledge of something like Pokemon or Power Rangers; it's another thing entirely if that someone was to deride those who don't. So, same/same. Just because it's your whole world (not meaning YOU Dennis, just generalising) doesn't mean it should be that way for everyone. I just hate the ridiculousness of that idea.
    That's a fair point. One of my friends always makes references to youtube videos and looks at me like I'm an idiot for not understanding her reference. I just kind of want to say... I know I don't get outside much... but it's enough not to give two craps about a crappy youtube video.

    Thanks for clarifying that you were not talking about me in particular. Though I got that you were not necessarily attacking what I said but rather the idea behind what was being said and the almost cult like geekdom that has become the internet.

    I'm not per say the nerdiest person but some might consider me a nerd. I don't really judge someone if they don't know all the bands that I know or all the trivial knowledge on miscellaneous topics that I tend to linger on... I mean obviously acting like a girl is an idiot because she doesn't know who John Cena is might not get me far in the dating world haha.
    #BeJelly


  8. #40298
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Batmania
    Posts
    24,366
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by K2Jelly View Post
    It's funny you mention Power Rangers and Pokemon because those were the two subjects that I got ridiculed for in my circle of friends because I didn't know(or care to know) about it as much as they did. They were all like, "Hurr, hurr! You don't know all of the character's names from all of the season by heart? You only know about Rita Repulsa?! Neeeeewb!!!" "Noooo, stupid! Poison's ineffective against Ground type not Rock type! GTFO and read a book or something!"

    This sort of sanctimonious attitude also frequents among older wrestling fans who look down on younger fans for not knowing about anything outside of the Attitude Era or this current era. "Fucking PG era bitch! Read up on all of Bruno Sammartino's title defenses before you can even begin to call yourself a wrestling fan!"
    I'm very aware of whether I'm being one of those fans. I think that if you are going to spout off on a topic then you should at least have a working knowledge of it. I only take umbrage when reference is made to history and it's clear that there's no knowledge to back it up. Newer wrestling fans are just as bad K2 - I stopped watching wrestling from about 1999-2006 and god help me if I don't know every match Goldberg had in WWE or some equally ubiquitous thing about the Attitude Era.

  9. #40299
    Black Ninja! akbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,268
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The idea of trolling isn't just an internet thing. In fact I don't troll online but I often troll my friends because it's much more fun. We just call it other things, in fact I didn't know about trolls until about a year ago. Don't get me wrong I am on the internet often but before this site I was pretty much only on here to talk to friends on social media... I am sure I don't know plenty of internet idiosyncrasies but I think the idea of posting something like "Dave Grohl has no talent! He can't even play multiple instruments." is obviously fishing for a reaction.

    I do agree that we do take online "geekdom" too seriously at points and people do let it bleed out to their real lives which can be strange at times. I don't per say consider myself a geek so I wouldn't say someone who didn't know all the idiosyncrasies was an idiot. I would just say it's fun to see someone successfully get another person so riled up about an issue they most likely could care less about. Don't get me wrong trolls often go too far and that's obnoxious... but a good troll is amusing at times.

    Also Akbar you are correct. Some comments on youtube are gold!
    Well of course the idea of trolling isn't just a internet thing but to call it 'trolling' definitely is.

  10. #40300
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Batmania
    Posts
    24,366
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    Well of course the idea of trolling isn't just a internet thing but to call it 'trolling' definitely is.
    Yeah, in other parts of life it's called "being an asshole".

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.