Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Yeah, what you and I are into are single camera series, which are filmed with a more cinematic approach utilizing a single camera and often done on location. Mutli-camera shows are done with 3 to 4 cameras permanently fixed to the stage where the filming takes place, so much of the action is built around the limited shots available to them.

What some people don't realize and/or choose to ignore is that the laugh track shows aren't so much dictating to the audience when to laugh, but rather the laughter is woven into the show to create a sort of comedic rhythm. It's a back-up band of sorts, and much of it is taken into context when laying out the flow of the scenes. I'm not really arguing in favor of it, but rather just trying to explain its true purpose. It is what it is, and much of it just boils down to personal preference.
    Just in curiosity what's your opinion of laugh tracks? You haven't really stated if you like it, just rather it's purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Just in curiosity what's your opinion of laugh tracks? You haven't really stated if you like it, just rather it's purpose.
    Well, my saying that you and I are into single camera series would indicate that I prefer my shows without them. I don't think they're the end of the world or anything, but I seem to generally gravitate towards the types of projects that don't utilize them.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Well, my saying that you and I are into single camera series would indicate that I prefer my shows without them. I don't think they're the end of the world or anything, but I seem to generally gravitate towards the types of projects that don't utilize them.
    That's what I figured, I just thought I'd clarify before assuming. I'm currently watching The big bang theory and I'm realizing how annoying a laugh track is if you are thinking about it.

That's what I figured, I just thought I'd clarify before assuming. I'm currently watching The big bang theory and I'm realizing how annoying a laugh track is if you are thinking about it.
    Surprisingly, that's one of the shows actually filmed before a live studio audience.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Yeah, what you and I are into are single camera series, which are filmed with a more cinematic approach utilizing a single camera and often done on location. Mutli-camera shows are done with 3 to 4 cameras permanently fixed to the stage where the filming takes place, so much of the action is built around the limited shots available to them.

What some people don't realize and/or choose to ignore is that the laugh track shows aren't so much dictating to the audience when to laugh, but rather the laughter is woven into the show to create a sort of comedic rhythm. It's a back-up band of sorts, and much of it is taken into context when laying out the flow of the scenes. I'm not really arguing in favor of it, but rather just trying to explain its true purpose. It is what it is, and much of it just boils down to personal preference.
    I think I have noticed this. It's like "Da na da na da na BAM! *insert laughter* Da na da na da na BAM! *I/L* da na da na, da na da na da na, da dum didly do day BAM!" - something like that? (I know that looks stupid but this is what I hear when I watch HIMYM). The set up becomes so obvious, you see it coming from a mile. Like Kat Dennings dialogue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    I think I have noticed this. It's like "Da na da na da na BAM! *insert laughter* Da na da na da na BAM! *I/L* da na da na, da na da na da na, da dum didly do day BAM!" - something like that? (I know that looks stupid but this is what I hear when I watch HIMYM). The set up becomes so obvious, you see it coming from a mile. Like Kat Dennings dialogue.
    Watching Two Broke Girls is even harder than watching Two And A Half Men... And that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    You've got the general idea, though 2 Broke Girls might not be the best example. Like you pointed out, they telegraph all of their jokes, but I'd argue that has more to do with the quality of the material and the predictable nature of their punchlines and pacing.

Some people posit that these shows stop being funny when you remove the laugh track, but that's ignoring that the tracks are the glue holding it all together and that by taking them away you're effectively changing the nature of all of the delivery. You can't take away the primary ingredient from a recipe and expect the dish to not taste differently; that's just unreasonable.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Watching Two Broke Girls is even harder than watching Two And A Half Men... And that's saying something.
    Two Broke Girls improves remarkably by turning the volume off. But Two and a Half Men? Yeah, that shit sucks regardless.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    I don't know if you guys have viewed the jack swagger response to glenn becks silliness on the news page... but I almost cried in laughter... This "news anchor" can't defend his claims against a professional wrestler? This has to be a joke.
    Two Broke Girls improves remarkably by turning the volume off. But Two and a Half Men? Yeah, that shit sucks regardless.
    I do have to admit... I have been the guy who watched Two Broke Girls because I said, oh hey two pretty girls... But even that couldn't save that show for me. hahaha

I don't know if you guys have viewed the jack swagger response to glenn becks silliness on the news page... but I almost cried in laughter... This "news anchor" can't defend his claims against a professional wrestler? This has to be a joke.
    That was sort of a lose, lose for the idiot. Turning it down was probably the smartest thing he could have done.

Color me surprised, though, that Beck actually turned down an opportunity to spew his awful rhetoric. I'm thinking maybe he was hep to the fact that an audience as culturally diverse as WWE's wouldn't have responded too kindly to his bullshit.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9