Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    Honestly I don't think most kids get the SNES and NES games as much, however I can attest from spending months in a hospital bed at a time, that after long enough, even shoelaces become entertaining
    I think I'll hold off on the NESes, but I might part with one or two SNESes. Mario World has still held up pretty well, and like you said, one of these poor kids might be open to giving anything a shot just on account of boredom.

I think I'm going to hold on to my top-loaders, for sure. Not only are they really nice (the NES and SNES top-loaders work every time you put a game in them), but they're apparently pretty rare and worth quite a bit.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Some friends, peers, and I have been doing a drive this year to donate some handhelds, consoles, and games to Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital, and tomorrow is the day that we're taking the presents in to hand out. I'm actually pretty excited, much in the same way that I used to get when I was the one on the receiving end of the gifts as a child. We've assembled a pretty kick-ass haul of stuff, too, with donations from close to 20 people. Everything from a new and used Xbox 360 (+ Kinect), a brand new PS3, 2 Wiis, a bunch of DSes and 3DSes, as well as a massive assortment of new and used games.

I got myself a swank-ass new 3DS XL over the summer, so I've decided to part with my original 3DS (with a couple of new games I was able to pick up during the Black Friday sales). The thing is in sterling condition (box, manuals, and all), but I figure it's just not doing me any good just sitting in one of my bins. I'm hoping somebody there can get some real enjoyment out of it. Anyways, I've also got a slew of older consoles (about a half-dozen each of NESes and SNESes) but I really can't decide whether to give them away or not. It's not so much the parting with them that I'm struggling with, but I don't know whether kids today would really be able to appreciate any of the classics. I've got loads and loads of old Mario and Zelda games to go with them, but I'm not sure if they're quite as timeless as I think they are. So, yeah. I guess I'm bringing this up to get some input from you guys. Do you think I should give it a try, or should I not even bother?
    Wait...ape..are u from Pennsylvania?

Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88 View Post
    Wait...ape..are u from Pennsylvania?
    I was born in PA, lived in MD for over a decade, and then moved back to PA. So, yeah, I'm a Pennsylvanian.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    I hate to put it this way, but I think it might be a waste of time Ape. I'm sure there ARE kids out there that would love those systems but they could be hard to find. Ah fuck it, what the hell, can't hurt to try. Some kids don't have great expectations for christmas. Check this out - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226536197293

Blog Entries
    I appreciate the feedback, really.

I would most definitely go for the XL for the following reasons:

- The 90% bigger screen is just awesome. And because of that extra screen real estate, the actual 3D effect is way more pronounced and effective (not that you necessarily even need to use the 3D at all times, but it's great for certain titles)

- The XL comes with an SD memory card that's twice the size of the card that ships with the regular 3DS.

- The battery life is slightly improved, as is the hinge for the top screen which seemed to get a tiny bit floppy on my original (which was through no fault of my own as I really take care of all my electronics to an almost obsessive degree).

- While not a big deal, they moved the stylus placement back to the right side of the system as opposed to the top which makes it immediately more accessible for games that have you toggling between button and touch input.

- And while this will likely vary from person to person, I've found that my hands cramp a lot less with the XL. The original system was particularly brutal for me, and I'm not crazy about having to endure pain just to get my game on.

There are a couple of downsides to consider, though:

- Of course, the increased price (but I think it's worth it).

- The XL doesn't use the rather nice charging cradle that the original came with.

- And while the screens are bigger, they didn't increase the resolution.
    Despite all of the pros and cons you've taken so much time to list, this is the biggest turn-off for me. I know, shallow isn't it? I'm not really an avid gamer so exclusive benefits of certain features for different consoles don't sway my decision when I buy one system over the other The fact that I chose a Xbox 360 over a PS3 should be a testament of that. However, I've always been a fan of the charging cradle and by the way you depicted the absence of that as a con, I'm guessing the charging equipment it does have is far less convenient with what I'm used to.

Of course, you could convince me otherwise.

Blog Entries
    I was born in PA, lived in MD for over a decade, and then moved back to PA. So, yeah, I'm a Pennsylvanian.
    Interesting. Im from nw pa

Blog Entries
    As for your original question, i think most kids would enjoy an snes, but pass over an nes. Just my opinion

Blog Entries
    Give us some fun facts about Pennsylvania then

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Give us some fun facts about Pennsylvania then
    I see an amish buggy once a day

I say soda but others say pop

Deer like to play chicken with vehicles? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88 View Post
    Interesting. Im from nw pa
    I don't know much about the state, like where everything's located and that sort of thing, but I've learned a lot about PA Dutch cooking from the women in my family. I make a mean chicken bot boi (which is a slippery-noodle pot pie that's absolutely nothing like the kinds of chicken pot pie that most people are familiar with).

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9