Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    $15 makes sense for 2 people with left over’s for the next day. If it was my wife and I alone, we could live off of $15 meals very easily. You add 3-4 growing kids, and the cost is easily doubled (or higher). If you go to a buffet, that's $8 for the adults with kids eating for $4 or free. You're saving a bit of money, even if it's pocket change to others. As for the grocery store situation, it's more due to the location of my city. I am about 300 miles from Dallas (closest "big" city) so the majority of produce is raised because they can. If it's not grown locally, it's usually outrageous (which is why I don't get to enjoy my pineapples or asparagus very often) in terms of price versus what it would be in a larger market. That's why your suggestion of buying in bulk with the rice is something commonly practiced here with the likes of Rice, Flour, and other items that aren't so quick to parish.

And I know you weren't trying to persuade against going out for a dinner at the local buffet. My point was more geared towards the idea that just because a places food doesn't live up to others standards doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable for people who can't afford to spend $30 at the sushi bar on themselves, so they opt out to spend $18 at an all you can eat place for the whole family. Sorry if there was a mix up in the direction I was taking the conversation; I'll fire the person in accounting for making such an obvious mistake.
    Yeah, dude, my not liking "chew 'n spew" buffets (thanks, Rob ) wasn't a personal affront to you, so I was a little puzzled by the Roger & Me-esque direction that you were taking things.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Yeah, dude, my not liking "chew 'n spew" buffets (thanks, Rob ) wasn't a personal affront to you, so I was a little puzzled by the Roger & Me-esque direction that you were taking things.
    No harm in the least Apey. I wasn't trying to make it an assault on you, rather than point out that though some people might not enjoy something doesn't mean that it's not a blessing to others. I personally hate onions, but if I have 20 growing in my garden that someone else may want, it's a blessing that they can have something they can use to its potential. I guess the tone that I got out of the comment is what caught me off guard by your statement; as if dismissing them (buffet's in general) as something considered useless because the food is below standards you have in your cuisine choices. That is my fault for reading into what you stated and taking it out of context on my own, not yours for implying hidden meaning behind your beliefs involving "chew-n-spews".

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

Hey, while we're on the subject of food thriftiness- lobster can currently be found all along the east coast (of the United States) for less per pound than most deli meats. God bless global warming.

And, no, this wasn't intended as a cruel way to taunt the land-locked Ron Garvin. I just thought it was an interesting little nugget to share.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Now all I can hear is Michael Moore when I read those posts. (I had to look up what Roger And Me was, but anyway...) lmao

Bazinga DRG

No harm in the least Apey. I wasn't trying to make it an assault on you, rather than point out that though some people might not enjoy something doesn't mean that it's not a blessing to others. I personally hate onions, but if I have 20 growing in my garden that someone else may want, it's a blessing that they can have something they can use to its potential. I guess the tone that I got out of the comment is what caught me off guard by your statement; as if dismissing them (buffet's in general) as something considered useless because the food is below standards you have in your cuisine choices. That is my fault for reading into what you stated and taking it out of context on my own, not yours for implying hidden meaning behind your beliefs involving "chew-n-spews".
    It's all good, man. Don't sweat it.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Ok, Census gave me Midland County population. Still, if Joplin is half that size, I just don't get why you don't have what we have. Midland does have an Interstate right on the edge of town. We are landlocked too. I mean we have a river, just nothing to get a boat on.
    The Future of the WWE Women's Division: Brittani Knight AKA Paige!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerinaine View Post
    Ok, Census gave me Midland County population. Still, if Joplin is half that size, I just don't get why you don't have what we have. Midland does have an Interstate right on the edge of town. We are landlocked too. I mean we have a river, just nothing to get a boat on.
    A lot might depend on supply and demand. Particularly demand. Also, how far is Joplin from a major city/cities? Is there a commercial hub within an hour or two from you? How long has Joplin been in existence? How has the population fluctuated (or not) in that time compared to where DRG lives? Man, there's so many variables that could come into play here

Quote Originally Posted by Amerinaine View Post
    It's more geared towards what city council approves or disapproves of. It took us years to petition for them to build a Jack in the Box to be allowed to start a franchise in the city. Once they built the first, the second popped up soon after the first one proved to be such a hit. It's funny because you'll see banks popping up everywhere (thanks to the oilfield money of course) and small businesses such as cleaning services (which is fine, the small businesses help the community thrive) but they will shoot down the idea of bringing in new food places. I have known of Panda Express for years but our first is just now being built. I'm holding out for a Carls Jr. sometime soon.

As to the interstate issue, yes we have a major highway that passes through our town, but it's merely a trucking route to connect El Paso to Dallas. Sure major trucks pass by here all the time, but that doesn't mean they have orders to fill in this city specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    A lot might depend on supply and demand. Particularly demand. Also, how far is Joplin from a major city/cities? Is there a commercial hub within an hour or two from you? How long has Joplin been in existence? How has the population fluctuated (or not) in that time compared to where DRG lives? Man, there's so many variables that could come into play here
    Joplin will be a two Interstate Hub next year.

Blog Entries
    It's more geared towards what city council approves or disapproves of. It took us years to petition for them to build a Jack in the Box to be allowed to start a franchise in the city. Once they built the first, the second popped up soon after the first one proved to be such a hit. It's funny because you'll see banks popping up everywhere (thanks to the oilfield money of course) and small businesses such as cleaning services (which is fine, the small businesses help the community thrive) but they will shoot down the idea of bringing in new food places. I have known of Panda Express for years but our first is just now being built. I'm holding out for a Carls Jr. sometime soon.

As to the interstate issue, yes we have a major highway that passes through our town, but it's merely a trucking route to connect El Paso to Dallas. Sure major trucks pass by here all the time, but that doesn't mean they have orders to fill in this city specifically.
    Yeah, same problem. Different reason. There are about 5 Major trucking companies based here. So we don't necessarilly see the product. Just the home of these trucks sent out to get the stuff to bypass our town. With the second Interstate, I imagine Joplin will actually grow. The tornado has not helped us much as far as prices though. But that is a very temporary problem.