Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    $15 makes sense for 2 people with left over’s for the next day. If it was my wife and I alone, we could live off of $15 meals very easily. You add 3-4 growing kids, and the cost is easily doubled (or higher). If you go to a buffet, that's $8 for the adults with kids eating for $4 or free. You're saving a bit of money, even if it's pocket change to others. As for the grocery store situation, it's more due to the location of my city. I am about 300 miles from Dallas (closest "big" city) so the majority of produce is raised because they can. If it's not grown locally, it's usually outrageous (which is why I don't get to enjoy my pineapples or asparagus very often) in terms of price versus what it would be in a larger market. That's why your suggestion of buying in bulk with the rice is something commonly practiced here with the likes of Rice, Flour, and other items that aren't so quick to parish.

And I know you weren't trying to persuade against going out for a dinner at the local buffet. My point was more geared towards the idea that just because a places food doesn't live up to others standards doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable for people who can't afford to spend $30 at the sushi bar on themselves, so they opt out to spend $18 at an all you can eat place for the whole family. Sorry if there was a mix up in the direction I was taking the conversation; I'll fire the person in accounting for making such an obvious mistake.
    You live in Pecos or something? There are quite a few "Big" cities in Texas. Hard to imagine one not being any closer to you than Dallas.
    The Future of the WWE Women's Division: Brittani Knight AKA Paige!

Blog Entries
    $15 makes sense for 2 people with left over’s for the next day. If it was my wife and I alone, we could live off of $15 meals very easily. You add 3-4 growing kids, and the cost is easily doubled (or higher). If you go to a buffet, that's $8 for the adults with kids eating for $4 or free. You're saving a bit of money, even if it's pocket change to others. As for the grocery store situation, it's more due to the location of my city. I am about 300 miles from Dallas (closest "big" city) so the majority of produce is raised because they can. If it's not grown locally, it's usually outrageous (which is why I don't get to enjoy my pineapples or asparagus very often) in terms of price versus what it would be in a larger market. That's why your suggestion of buying in bulk with the rice is something commonly practiced here with the likes of Rice, Flour, and other items that aren't so quick to parish.

And I know you weren't trying to persuade against going out for a dinner at the local buffet. My point was more geared towards the idea that just because a places food doesn't live up to others standards doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable for people who can't afford to spend $30 at the sushi bar on themselves, so they opt out to spend $18 at an all you can eat place for the whole family. Sorry if there was a mix up in the direction I was taking the conversation; I'll fire the person in accounting for making such an obvious mistake.
    Two things I got from this - One was, you aren't sure whether you have 3 or 4 kids and the other one was it reminded me how fortunate I am to have such readily available and affordable food.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Two things I got from this - One was, you aren't sure whether you have 3 or 4 kids and the other one was it reminded me how fortunate I am to have such readily available and affordable food.

lol, I have 4 kids (2 boys, 2 girls) but 1 of them was from before I married my wife. He is wife his mother most of the time, with the exception of every other weekend. This is why the 3-4 comes into play. This also factors into why living on a budget is important (since his mother get $700 a month thanks to the wonderful state of Texas' Attorney General)

And yes, being aways from major cities has it's downfalls in this regard. I used to love how cheap seafood was when I lived in Houston. Buying 20-30 pounds of crawfish for a family boil wasn't a pipedream because the price was very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Amerinaine View Post
    You live in Pecos or something? There are quite a few "Big" cities in Texas. Hard to imagine one not being any closer to you than Dallas.
    lol, close to Pecos. I live in Midland. Middle of Texas. 4-5 hours from Dallas, 5 from Austin, 5 from El Paso, 7 from Houston, 4 from the Mexico border.

DRG hates everyone

Blog Entries
    lol, close to Pecos. I live in Midland. Middle of Texas. 4-5 hours from Dallas, 5 from Austin, 5 from El Paso, 7 from Houston, 4 from the Mexico border.
    Pecos was about the only town I could think of reasonably distant from anything, but if you said yes, I was gonna say, Midland isn't exactly tiny.

Pecos was about the only town I could think of reasonably distant from anything, but if you said yes, I was gonna say, Midland isn't exactly tiny.

Nope 100k people, with 100k in Odessa. It's not a small city, but that doesn't help anything when you're landlocked for as many miles as we are and the cost of trucking in produce rises every day. Diesel is over $4.00 a gallon so the cost of associated products the trucks bring in also increases.

DRG hates everyone

Blog Entries
    Nope 100k people, with 100k in Odessa. It's not a small city, but that doesn't help anything when you're landlocked for as many miles as we are and the cost of trucking in produce rises every day. Diesel is over $4.00 a gallon so the cost of associated products the trucks bring in also increases.
    You're underestimating Midland by about 174K people. According the the US Census Bureau. I guess being landlocked sucks.

Go to hell.

Blog Entries
    Wow. Halfway between everywhere and somewhere else eh?

You're underestimating Midland by about 174K people. According the the US Census Bureau. I guess being landlocked sucks.
    No, there's appx 119k that live in Midland with another 114-5k that live in Odessa (and that's me being gracious with estimates). Unless they are counting college students and people from towns like Greenwood, Stanton, and Penwell in our census, then they are quite a bit off. Is that the combined number for Midland and Odessa because I know for sure there's not 284k people living in this town alone. There's not enough houses, apartments, mobile homes, retirement homes, or assisted living facilities to keep that many people.

DRG hates everyone