Thread: #FreeBodom

Quote Originally Posted by supergoing View Post
    I have television woes - occasionally the picture will drop out completely while the sound keeps works fine. Placing it on standby then back on again is a temporary fix, then it happens again after about 10 minutes or so.

Anybody have any experiences similar to this? I'm hoping it's the sort of thing that might sort itself out by unplugging the set for a few days, and not some internal problem like a fucked capacitor that I'd be too lazy to fix.
    So it was the actual television, not your Sky box? Just because, my Sky box did something similar to this not 3 days ago. It was on, had the sound, could bring up the tv guide, planner, change channel, etc, but there was no picture. I just turned eberything off at the plug for about 10mins, turned it all back on and it was back to normal - no problems. Was a weird one, but, thankfully it didn't last.

Bought a little wireless keyboard for my laptop, after I fucked the original keyboard off the motherboard. I'm pretty happy with it considering it was pretty cheap, but the only thing I can pull it up on is that it doesn't it have the Page Up, Page Down, Home, End buttons. I used to use these alot for quick scrolling, and do miss them; anyone know of other keyboard shortcuts for these options? I've always used Spacebar as my Pagedown so that's fine, and I found out that Shift and Spacebar works as a Page Up, but, are there any more peeps? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Androo View Post
    So it was the actual television, not your Sky box? Just because, my Sky box did something similar to this not 3 days ago. It was on, had the sound, could bring up the tv guide, planner, change channel, etc, but there was no picture. I just turned eberything off at the plug for about 10mins, turned it all back on and it was back to normal - no problems. Was a weird one, but, thankfully it didn't last.
    Nah, it definitely wasn't my Sky box that was at fault, since the problem also occured on the HMDI and PC RGB inputs. (Xbox and laptop, natch) I do get similar problems to yours with my Sky box on a regular basis though, which is always a nuisance.

Switching everything off at the wall overnight seemed to fix everything for me too though - touch wood. In retrospect, I imagine this kind of thing was inevitable seeing as my TV hadn't been properly switched off since about 2010. Y'see, the genius designers decided to place the ON/OFF button at the rear of the TV, in the most awkward to reach place ever... So partly because of stupid design - but mostly because of laziness tbh - I normally just put it on standby with the remote instead instead of properly OFF.

I'm not entirely sure of all the inner workings of TVs and Sky boxes, but I imagine that my set and cable must produce a fair amount of vampire voltage per month, just sitting there on standby, checking indefinitely for some kind of signal from a remote. Can't be that great for high voltage things to just sit there holding charge and whatnot for so long. Plus, I reckon I'd be classed as a TV-addict compared to the average dude anyway (well, a "watching movies on a TV" addict) which probably doesn't help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by supergoing View Post
    Nah, it definitely wasn't my Sky box that was at fault, since the problem also occured on the HMDI and PC RGB inputs. (Xbox and laptop, natch) I do get similar problems to yours with my Sky box on a regular basis though, which is always a nuisance.

Switching everything off at the wall overnight seemed to fix everything for me too though - touch wood. In retrospect, I imagine this kind of thing was inevitable seeing as my TV hadn't been properly switched off since about 2010. Y'see, the genius designers decided to place the ON/OFF button at the rear of the TV, in the most awkward to reach place ever... So partly because of stupid design - but mostly because of laziness tbh - I normally just put it on standby with the remote instead instead of properly OFF.

I'm not entirely sure of all the inner workings of TVs and Sky boxes, but I imagine that my set and cable must produce a fair amount of vampire voltage per month, just sitting there on standby, checking indefinitely for some kind of signal from a remote. Can't be that great for high voltage things to just sit there holding charge and whatnot for so long. Plus, I reckon I'd be classed as a TV-addict compared to the average dude anyway (well, a "watching movies on a TV" addict) which probably doesn't help.
    the TV does, however depending on the design of the box (living in the us, we don't have Sky boxes, so I am comparing to the standard cable box) less than most electronics.

also, it really sounds like you may want to start saving for a new TV, saw this happen a lot working at Comcast, and it always turned into a repeat issue where the TV had to be replaced.

Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.

Just one more day. One more day and I'm on vacation.
    I'd rather have nothing than have a lie.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    Just one more day. One more day and I'm on vacation.
    Finished Mass Effect 3 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by HeelTurn View Post
    Finished Mass Effect 3 yet?
    Just started my 3rd playthrough.

Blog Entries
    Just started my 3rd playthrough.
    Awesome, tried insanity yet? Wasnt as bad as I thought in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by HeelTurn View Post
    Awesome, tried insanity yet? Wasnt as bad as I thought in this one.
    I haven't built up the courage yet. I tried ME2 on insanity and gave up when I reached Horizon.

Blog Entries
    I haven't built up the courage yet. I tried ME2 on insanity and gave up when I reached Horizon.
    Its a hell of a lot more doable in this one, good old Garrus and Liara really back you up.