1. #39981
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    LOL. Nickelback doesn't suck quite as much as your taste in music. Go listen to Led Zep's "Ramble On" and "Tangerine" (just to pull 2 out of the clear blue air) and tell me how awesome Nickelback is by comparison. When you raise that bar, it's raised forever.
    I haven't listened to Nickleback in a few years now. Just the other day I was listening to 'Hungry' by Winger. I actually like Rock music from the 70's and 80's.
    Hey.. I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know.

    #TeamDevs

  2. #39982
    Moderator Robstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calling It
    Posts
    24,170
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    if techno counts, auto-tune crap has to
    for a music teacher to say that an entire genre isn't music? that's up there to me with a history teacher saying that Canada isn't a country. I mean, sure, no one will get real upset, but it's still just plain fucking wrong info, and she should know better.
    Totally. It's one thing to push music you like, even de-push what you don't - but as a music teacher there should be some sort of oath taken where you have to be fair and even handed and not promote your own tastes - well, not at the expense of other stuff anyway


  3. #39983
    Moderator Asherdelampyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Boktor, Drasnia
    Posts
    10,772
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Totally. It's one thing to push music you like, even de-push what you don't - but as a music teacher there should be some sort of oath taken where you have to be fair and even handed and not promote your own tastes - well, not at the expense of other stuff anyway
    much better to have said

    "Alright, I disagree because I find country music to be simplistic (or whatever her issue with it is)" that's a fair statement, while not actively lying about shit you went to school to teach others about


    Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.
     

  4. #39984
    Moderator Robstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calling It
    Posts
    24,170
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    I haven't listened to Nickleback in a few years now. Just the other day I was listening to 'Hungry' by Winger. I actually like Rock music from the 70's and 80's.
    Winger! OK, time to stop talking now Devs......

    Haha, we all have tastes for something thats not for everyone. I have many but they will remain deep, dark secrets and I will shout about the "cool" ones loudly and proudly like a patch on a denim jacket so everyone can see how cool I am!


  5. #39985
    The Trinity Poot-Hair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    10
    I sing Britney Spear's "I'm not a girl" sometimes. No lie, my old lady jammed it for a month straight and I learned the words to it by proxy.

  6. #39986
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    Country (disregarding country pop ala' Taylor Swift) is one of the last true sounds in the music industry. It's rough, lyrically adoring, and has not sold its soul yet to fast cash and shitty lyrics. So I would have to say that this Teacher does not know much of anything about music. It just sounds like she is shooting it down just because she does not fancy some good foot tappin' music. Haha~

    Excluding Big & Rich and Tim McGraw, of course...



    And I'd much rather listen to a song by Winger than hearing than god forsaken awful 90's hit Barbie Girl by Aqua


    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

  7. #39987
    Black Ninja! Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    16,408
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    No, as a matter of fact, I do not get your point. for a couple of reasons.

    First, if you had sex because you wondered what it felt like, good for you, not sure how that falls into the discussion, except to try and paint another filter on, which you immediately take back out. However it does kind of point out the flaw in any real sense of morality, in that it is so different.

    Also, and here comes the nasty part. there are people who believe that Hitler was morally justified (I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE) That puts and entirely different spin on it, though I understand your knee-jerk reaction to point to the most extreme case of "evil" you can think of. Of course when the British were exterminating african tribesmen, or when 2/3rds of the "civilised world" ran on slave power those actions were justified at the time by popular opinion, much like Hitlers actions were in Germany at the time.

    That brings me to something a little to the side, but from my heritage it's always come up.

    According to my family history, there were a great deal of people living in Germany that did not know anything about Hitler going after the jews. They only saw the face he presented. that being of the economic savior of the people, who overthrew a corrupt government and helped Germany recover after unfair sanctions pressed onto them. These people supported him politically during his rise to power, with no idea where it would ultimately lead.

    Are those people as evil as those who knew better?

    What if I told you there were people within the Nazi party that had no idea what he was going to do, supporting him merely on the premise of the economic reform (which he delivered on)

    Were those people evil?

    What about after Mein Kampf, the book that laid out all of his plans, and his psychotic theories was released. Were they evil then?
    Personally in your family history story I feel like the person with knowledge was much farther in the wrong that the people in the wrong. Thus making the people with more knowledge the more evil people.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelle1809 View Post
    Had an argument with my music school teacher today.

    She asked me, who I think to be one of the greatest artists of all time? I answered 'I think I'd say Johnny Cash.' She asked why, so I told: 'because of the special sound in his voice, his songwriting and the way he performed his songs and shows'.

    She then told me she disagreed. She doesn't consider Cash an artist because Country ain't music... WTF?
    While I disagree with who you chose I totally agree she's full of crap. Johnny cash is a MUSIC legend and anyone who says anything to the contrary is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    I must have missed something here. When did NickleBack start sucking? 'Someday' and 'How You Remind Me' are awesome songs.
    Not my cup of tea. They are both bland generic rock songs IMO. If you were to compare them to other bands of their genre they just don't really stack up. I'm not saying their music sounds terrible, I just wouldn't say it sounds good or original.
    #TeamGeeky


  8. #39988
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Personally in your family history story I feel like the person with knowledge was much farther in the wrong that the people in the wrong. Thus making the people with more knowledge the more evil people.

    This poses a new and interesting question;

    Is the knowledge of committing an act considered "immoral" less tolerable/acceptable than someone who cannot grasp the idea of morality committing the same act? Where Ted Bundy or Charles Manson being thought of as "monsters" is more acceptable if they were a person with Aspergurs or an affliction that causes the abilities to have an internal "moral compass" to be short circuited? If murder is an absolute, should the mental state of the person committing the act waiver since the end result is the same?


    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

  9. #39989
    Black Ninja! Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    16,408
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    This poses a new and interesting question;

    Is the knowledge of committing an act considered "immoral" less tolerable/acceptable than someone who cannot grasp the idea of morality committing the same act? Where Ted Bundy or Charles Manson being thought of as "monsters" is more acceptable if they were a person with Aspergurs or an affliction that causes the abilities to have an internal "moral compass" to be short circuited? If murder is an absolute, should the mental state of the person committing the act waiver since the end result is the same?
    I know other members who will disagree with this but I think you have to look at the entire story when you decide how immoral an act is... If someone with a syndrome accidently killed someone to me it's not as bad as someone who did it in cold blood.

    Though this also calls into question what is real morality and what is just stuff that we make up and call morality in order to keep our society in check. I have heard of people who argue morality is a hoax; that it's just something made up by humans in order to make themselves feel better. Which is cool but I tend to think that a super majority of the populous can come up with what should and shouldn't be considered moral for that societies members to do and what they shouldn't do. For instance something I'd feel safe in calling immoral is murder but I wouldn't feel safe in calling something like doing drugs immoral. I personally wouldn't do heroin and I wouldn't mind if someone said they deemed it immoral but as a society I don't know if you could really deem it immoral. Obviously drugs could lead to immoral activities but that doesn't mean the act it's self is immoral.
    #TeamGeeky


  10. #39990
    Black Ninja! VanHooliganX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vanity City
    Posts
    19,585
    Blog Entries
    7
    Oh baby. Quints is coming to town (40k posts)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.