Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPV Burnout?

PPV Burnout?

Something I have just realised looking over the PPV schedule for the coming months, we have Payback this Sunday then 2 weeks later we have Elimination Chamber that has just been added, and on the 14th of June (again just a 2 week gap) we have Money In The Bank.

Are they overdoing it on the PPV front? The brevity of the gaps between these events can't be a good thing surely? How can they build story arcs in such short spaces of time, unless we are going to be faced with lots of repeat matches that are done just for the sake it, rather than pushing any storylines forward.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Something I have just realised looking over the PPV schedule for the coming months, we have Payback this Sunday then 2 weeks later we have Elimination Chamber that has just been added, and on the 14th of June (again just a 2 week gap) we have Money In The Bank.

Are they overdoing it on the PPV front? The brevity of the gaps between these events can't be a good thing surely? How can they build story arcs in such short spaces of time, unless we are going to be faced with lots of repeat matches that are done just for the sake it, rather than pushing any storylines forward.

Thoughts?
    EC and MITB include gimmick matches that don't necessary need build. However you make a good point on having repeat matches and not pushing storylines forward. Hopefully they will find a way to keep the feuds interesting if we are gonna have repeat matches and spice things up
    Last edited by magglis; 05-14-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magglis View Post
    EC and MITB include gimmick matches that don't necessary need build. However you make a good point on having repeat matches and not pushing storylines forward. Hopefully they will find a way to keep the feuds interesting if we are gonna have repeat matches and spice things up
    Even gimmick matches need story, especially pertaining to why certain wrestlers are in the match. You still need to be pulled in to a certain degree or why should I care who wins, even more so if the matches don't have a wrestler I'm particularly interested in. Story invests you, even if the participants are not your first reason to be.

Even gimmick matches need story, especially pertaining to why certain wrestlers are in the match. You still need to be pulled in to a certain degree or why should I care who wins, even more so if the matches don't have a wrestler I'm particularly interested in. Story invests you, even if the participants are not your first reason to be.
    Yeah but those gimmick matches always attract attention despite the build they get. You have EC match and a MITB match that you only watch once a year, those are must see matches imo.

Yeah but those gimmick matches always attract attention despite the build they get. You have EC match and a MITB match that you only watch once a year, those are must see matches imo.
    Lack of story can make them forgettable though, to be frank sitting here now I can't remember the last EC and MITB matches apart from Rollins winning the briefcase. Off top of my head, I can't remember what they were or who were in them. So I can only imagine lack of time is going to make me forget them quicker.

Hmmm. I can see both points of view lads and it's a good topic Wade. I think at the moment we are seeing a few repeats of people working with those they have done before or in the case of lacking a build.. I think we are seeing that too with Bray/Ryback which has zero interest too me, sadly.

So, it's a little worry for sure. I can kind of see Maggs point with the gimmicks though because I think they are the kind of matches where as long as you have those that can go and tell a story in there, the matches can be awesome without the best build. I guess we will see, interesting topic though.

IWA:
    1x Tag Team Champion - Ramon/Infection.
    IWA & EWN Tag Team of the Year 2013 - Ramon/Infection.

HWA:
    1x Adrenaline Champion - Ramon.
    HWA & EWN Champion of the Year 2012 - Ramon.
    Feud of the Year 2012 - Ramon/Clique
    Shocking Moment of the Year 2012 - Ramon/Clique

General:
    Feud of the Year 2013 - Rock/Ambrose.
    Promo of the Year 2013 - Rock/Ambrose.

Lack of story can make them forgettable though, to be frank sitting here now I can't remember the last EC and MITB matches apart from Rollins winning the briefcase. Off top of my head, I can't remember what they were or who were in them. So I can only imagine lack of time is going to make me forget them quicker.
    Now wait you are saying that EC and MITB are forgettable to you, maybe is because of your age.

Nah, seriously idk know why you are saying that cause i do remember those matches in fact MITB matches are the ones that give you the next world champion and EC matches used to give you one part of WM main event. I think the build is most needed after those matches and not that much before.

I don't think EC will be considered anything more than a pseudo-PPV, or rather a network attraction like the semi/finals of KOTR.
    Kaige Chamberlain
    Ballad of an Asshole

Former RTE Tag-Team Champion(w/ Xavier Hightower[1])
    Current EWNCW Tag-Team Champion (Solo; 3/30/14) [1]
    'Father' Black Angel:
    Preacher of the Voices

Winner of BotN[Seraphim]

I'm trying to be number one, why would I settle?
    @IWACreative_Parody Tweeter

Now wait you are saying that EC and MITB are forgettable to you, maybe is because of your age.

Nah, seriously idk know why you are saying that cause i do remember those matches in fact MITB matches are the ones that give you the next world champion and EC matches used to give you one part of WM main event. I think the build is most needed after those matches and not that much before.
    I'm getting better, I don't have to write my name in my clothes anymore!

Yeah MITB does generally give you next world champ but as I say with Rollins, I can't even remember who else was in the match or even any big spots that occurred. Yet I can remember all of that from the Edge, RVD and both Punk MITB matches, as the builds were much better (granted they were at Mania)
    Last edited by Wade Barrett 1979; 05-15-2015 at 06:44 AM.

I'm getting better, I don't have to write my name in my clothes anymore!

Yeah MITB does generally give you next world champ but as I say with Rollins, I can't even remember who else was in the match or even any big spots that occurred. Yet I can remember all of that from the Edge, RVD and both Punk MITB matches, as the builds were much better (granted they were at Mania)
    LOL! Well played!

I don't disagree with you but I'm just saying i was always more interested for what happens after those matches and the match it self.