Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The reason this era in the WWE is failing

This is not a bring back the Attitude Era thread or a thread praising the Attitude Era, but rather a thread comparing why maybe the Attitude Era is so fondly remembered rather than this era. The reason the Attitude Era is more fondly remembered then this era was that the Attitude Era was the Era of the Stars. In the Attitude Era you had:

1.) Stone Cold
    2.) The Rock
    3.) HHH
    4.) Mick Foley
    5.) The Undertaker
    6.) Kane
    7.) Kurt Angle
    8.) Chris Jericho
    9.) The Big Show
    10.) Vince McMahon

Those are just a few names you can drop in the Attitude Era without even including The Hardy Boys, Edge and Christian, the Dudley Boys, HBK, DX, The Nation of Domination, Paul Bearer, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, The Corporation, or the innovative match types created during this era such as Hell in a Cell and TLC.

In this era of wrestling I don't know if it's a lack of promo time for the superstars, if it's a lack of storylines, or maybe it's the focus on John Cena, but this era does not, and has not, have the star power that the Attitude Era has. The only stars I can think of created in this new era are John Cena, Batista, CM Punk, and Daniel Bryan. And I'd argue that no one except CM Punk and John Cena will be remembered in the same light as those listed above.

The future is bright though it seems. With guys like Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, NXT, and Dolph Ziggler maybe we can recreate the mega star atmosphere that the Attitude Era seemed to have.
    Brad Maddox is the new face of the WWE!

I'll tell you my main personal reason this era is not 'working' too many dirt sheets and miserablists in the Drive By IWC. I took time away for a couple of months before Christmas and it was great, no spoilers on any stories and no being bashed over the head constantly by whingers who seem to be incapable of picking and choosing what part of Raw etc to watch.

I did it a lot in the AE, if there were shit segments (and believe me there were a lot) I would zone out or flip over until it finished.

Oh and from what I've seen the main reason why the AE seems to be so fondly remembered, is many that you see commenting on it didn't actually sit through it at the time. The rose tinted glasses are strong with those who only saw it via YouTube etc.

During the attitude era many knew about the stars but use to be critical of the roster. It was stone cold ,and a bunch of mediocre guys . I remember people comparing saying there's nobody like Hogan,Macho man, Ricky steamboat ,etc.

now looking back is how people appreciate guys like foley. The Rock came into his own and actually had a short run as the man, and undertaker was undertaker .While some liked it , some hated it. And that's just how it was. Point is wrestling fans are the ones that complain the most about everything while its in the mist of things.

Maybe one day these kids will look back and realize how athletic and how great the matches are compared to what will be. Because wwe wants 5 move wrestlers and Nxt is where you get molded into 1.

No matter how awesome, or great the guy/girl is , it's all about how wwe uses you or wants you to do.

MARK DIMENSION
    *EWNCW INTERNATIONAL CHAMPION
    11.27.2011-3.6.2012

*EwncW EVOLUTION CHAMPION
    11.12.2012-5.28.2013
    11.25.14-

THE NEW ASSAULT PROGRAM
    *BWA INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONS
    9.4.2011-Forever

*BWA/EwncW INTERNET CHAMPIONS
    5.5.2012-9.26.2012

*EwncW CHAMPIONS
    4.7.2013-8.25.2013

SCARFO JONEZ
    *TWE BLOODOATH CHAMPION
    SEPTEMBER.23,2012

DEPRI$e
    AWF SUPERFLY CHAMPION
    NOVEMBER.15,2011

N
    *2x ICW INSANITY CHAMPION
    6.28. 2012-6.28.2012
    6.29. 2012-6.29.2012

CHUNKERTAKER
    0-1,787 at wrestlevania

I'm with my ole' friend, Wade. Totally.

I've never understood the negativity and constant moaning in regards to anything the WWE has done in the last couple of years. I mean sure- there's been a couple of things that have made you go.. Really?! But that's wrestling in general- you are never going to like everything, same as there never going to create a product which caters to everyone all the time. It's just not going to happen.

I loved the AE Era, I really did. However I'm quite happy to say, I enjoy the WWE and wrestling, just as much as I did when I was a boy growing up. That's why I continue watching.. Simple.

Also I would go with the notion of avoiding spoilers and such helps.

IWA:
    1x Tag Team Champion - Ramon/Infection.
    IWA & EWN Tag Team of the Year 2013 - Ramon/Infection.

HWA:
    1x Adrenaline Champion - Ramon.
    HWA & EWN Champion of the Year 2012 - Ramon.
    Feud of the Year 2012 - Ramon/Clique
    Shocking Moment of the Year 2012 - Ramon/Clique

General:
    Feud of the Year 2013 - Rock/Ambrose.
    Promo of the Year 2013 - Rock/Ambrose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    I'll tell you my main personal reason this era is not 'working' too many dirt sheets and miserablists in the Drive By IWC. I took time away for a couple of months before Christmas and it was great, no spoilers on any stories and no being bashed over the head constantly by whingers who seem to be incapable of picking and choosing what part of Raw etc to watch.

I did it a lot in the AE, if there were shit segments (and believe me there were a lot) I would zone out or flip over until it finished.

Oh and from what I've seen the main reason why the AE seems to be so fondly remembered, is many that you see commenting on it didn't actually sit through it at the time. The rose tinted glasses are strong with those who only saw it via YouTube etc.
    I agree with you that spoilers do kill the show a little bit, but honestly one of the most memorable moments of Mick Foley's career was a spoiler. That he was going to win the WWF Championship. I think that this roster does lack a little bit of star power because of Vince McMahon. I feel like back in the Attitude Era Vince was more willing to take chances on creating new stars, especially if they get themselves over like Mick Foley, but now a days he only wants to push he wants to push with the obvious exceptions of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. With the former only being pushed because of the fans. I say that because I look at a guy like Zack Ryder who got himself over. He got himself over so much so that the fans would be chanting his name in main event matches. Not throw away matches or segments, but the main event. So what did Vince do? First he tried to ignore it. Then he tried squashing Zack against guys like Mark Henry and HHH. Finally he gave Zack his push for all of one week before feeding him to Cena and Kane. I said earlier in this thread the star power was the problem, but now I'm thinking it's Vince McMahon and possibly HHH and Stephanie as well.

Blog Entries
    I agree with some comments, and would like to add a reason: more than at any time before, WWE lost so much stars to all kinds of circumstances - some tragic, some natural.

Steve Austin retired before he really passed on the torch. The Rock became too big for wrestling; he should and would have been the main man of this era. Goldberg felt he was owed more than he got, and quit. WWE put a lot in Brock Lesnar, he left for his own reasons. Mick Foley got a bit too old and beaten up. Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy had their WWE tenure cut short because of injuries and substance problems. Edge had to retire because of injury. Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit would've filled out the roster and put guys over, they fell away before doing so. HBK and Undertaker became irregulars because of old age and injury. Jericho and Batista found success outside of wrestling.

And almost all guys I mentioned didn't really pass the torch. That's partly WWE's own fault, i.e. choices they made with HBK and Undertaker. And they could've handled some up & comers better. But still: they lost so many guys that would've been really useful the last decade, maybe even still be useful right now.
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

Jim Cornette: 'They think they have to make up for it by doing all this devastating stuff, but the stuff isn’t devastating if you don’t beat people with it. Then you’re just going out there exposing the business.'

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    I agree with you that spoilers do kill the show a little bit, but honestly one of the most memorable moments of Mick Foley's career was a spoiler. That he was going to win the WWF Championship. I think that this roster does lack a little bit of star power because of Vince McMahon. I feel like back in the Attitude Era Vince was more willing to take chances on creating new stars, especially if they get themselves over like Mick Foley, but now a days he only wants to push he wants to push with the obvious exceptions of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. With the former only being pushed because of the fans. I say that because I look at a guy like Zack Ryder who got himself over. He got himself over so much so that the fans would be chanting his name in main event matches. Not throw away matches or segments, but the main event. So what did Vince do? First he tried to ignore it. Then he tried squashing Zack against guys like Mark Henry and HHH. Finally he gave Zack his push for all of one week before feeding him to Cena and Kane. I said earlier in this thread the star power was the problem, but now I'm thinking it's Vince McMahon and possibly HHH and Stephanie as well.
    For me the biggest reason that the product has changed so much is that there is no WCW like competition for them anymore, all that happened in that Era (the pluses) were down to a fight for survival. They don't have that now and I can't see it happening again in the future either.

Fans need to evolve with the product, otherwise you're going to be perennially disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    For me the biggest reason that the product has changed so much is that there is no WCW like competition for them anymore, all that happened in that Era (the pluses) were down to a fight for survival. They don't have that now and I can't see it happening again in the future either.

Fans need to evolve with the product, otherwise you're going to be perennially disappointed.
    Good point. I think competition is needed for any product to grow and live up to it's full potential. Hopefully one day there will be competition again in the wrestling industry.

Blog Entries
    Honestly we the IWC kinda killed this era nothing is suprise anymore ypu see posting all the time
    i mean look at suprises could of happen
    At same time we saved guys like bryan, dz, ryder (for little) tyson kidd (not sold) cersero, we also buried cena , hhh, brock too
    When in doubt rain snow and shine or live ambrose shines

Vince didn't have a choice, but to depend on guys like stone cold, the rock, taker, and mick foley because that's all he had left since wcw decided to pay off all of his previous stars to create a super team. Wrestling at the time was just bigger the fact that there was wcw that was legit juggernaut for vince`s throne and ecw bring the hardcore element to wrestling which made it better. The wwe now just don't have that feel because the the business is too soft and too comfortable where as back in the attitude era everyone had something to prove. I don't blame vince for getting his money with bring back the old stars because deep down inside the fans and the wrestling industry have seen the best and everyone is coasting from vince to the wrestlers so he might as well get it while it last.