Fresh Member
    Blog Entries

Talking Dr Death Steve Williams

I always heard a lot about Dr Death from old timers on podcasts like Jim Cornette and I recently looked up some videos of him on youtube and watched a load of old matches and what can i say...it's unbelievable that such a talented and unique wrestler was never properly used in WWE or WCW and I'm surprised also by his really short run at the same time in ECW. I know the WWE killed his career pretty much with the Brawl for All tournament but really now that I understand roughly how great and underused he was I can't help but think about what could have been...

Blog Entries
    I always loved Dr Death from around the time he was UWF champion @ 1987. He was among the group of truly tough S.O.B's, like Terry Gordy, Bruiser Brody and Stan Hansen. This was long before Stone Cold cornered that market and I believe Austin owes a lot to guys such as Williams.

I was always impressed by stories of how he wrestled an afternoon match, recieving a wound that required 108 stitches - 108!!! - and still wrestled again later that night. The great man is missed.

I love Steve Williams nickname,Dr Death.

I remember back in 1997 or 98 where Jim Ross just came back from jaw surgery(I guess) and become Steve manager for a short period of time before return as commentator(not wiki or google it,its just buried in my mind)

I didnt see much of his WWE,WCW or ECW work but I watch plenty of his stuff in All Japan pro wrestling during the 90s...he wrestle among the greats like Kobashi,Akiyama,Taue and the late Misawa,form a team with Vader and Ace,wrestle in a great matches and become Triple crown champion at that time.

Not to mention Steve deliver one of the sickest dangerous backdrop suplex I've ever seen(Kobashi been the victim)

Maybe its just me but Jack Swagger wrestling style somewhat similar to Steve Williams,a tribute to Steve perhaps? by adding moves like Oklahoma stampete and Gutwrench powerbomb/Doctorbomb to his repertoire.

Blog Entries
    Good comparison. Most people couldn't get past the fact that they aren't similar appearance-wise and say "oh well they're nothing alike!" lol

JR was VERY high on Swagger too, both Swagger and Williams were Oklahoma varsity I think

Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I loved the doc!!!! I've seen alot of his matches. Wow, just wow. The man was a wrestling machine. His tag team with Gordy was one of the best....
    I would loved to have seen him against Bart gunn without the massive gloves on. He was a wrestler not a boxer. Brawl for all was a bit of a joke but it was quite interesting to see the tough guys of wwf shoot on each other. I thought it would have made Bart, instead he was punished for upsetting their plans. His reward for winning the first and only bfa? A sick knock out at the hands of butterbean!!!!

RIP dr death Steve Williams
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bodom is our John Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dismal Jester View Post
    I hate you.
    #FreeBodom

Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I loved the doc!!!! I've seen alot of his matches. Wow, just wow. The man was a wrestling machine. His tag team with Gordy was one of the best....
    I would loved to have seen him against Bart gunn without the massive gloves on. He was a wrestler not a boxer. Brawl for all was a bit of a joke but it was quite interesting to see the tough guys of wwf shoot on each other. I thought it would have made Bart, instead he was punished for upsetting their plans. His reward for winning the first and only bfa? A sick knock out at the hands of butterbean!!!!

RIP dr death Steve Williams
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bodom is our John Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dismal Jester View Post
    I hate you.
    #FreeBodom

I just want to post this video of Dr. Death and another one of my favorite big men Bam Bam Bigelow. May they both Rest in Peace