Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halo hate

Halo hate

As time goes on more and more Halo haters seem to be popping out of the wood works. I'm curious as to why?

Reach, in terms of volume no other game (not just FPS) even comes close.

- Fully fleshed out campaign that addresses the shortcomings of the previous games (none of the backtracking that's plagued the series, no Halo 2 cliffhanger, no Halo 3 "shortness").

- The best multiplayer of the series that actually feels different than the previous title *cough*COD*cough*. The armor abilities add a whole new level to the classic Halo multi. There are so many different playlists from Zombies, FFA, Team, Big Team, and the community playlists which I'll get to later. The best argument I've heard from my friends against this (and really the only valid issue I've seen put forth against the series) is that it takes too many bullets to take down an enemy. I prefer it this way as opposed to military shooters (not just COD) where you die after three bullets. If you get caught from behind in a military shooter, you're done. In Halo if you're quick enough and have skill you can spin around and turn the tables on your opponent. I understand it comes down to a personal preference which is the only reason I consider it a valid argument in the first place, but I've always preferred skill to whoever can twitch faster.

- Firefight. Essentially just horde mode that GOW popularized and is found in nearly every game on the market today, where applicable. Great fun, good time killer.

- Theater. Other than COD (which I admit has a more robust theater option. Only one person in a party to view a vid? WTF. Great, now all my splitscreen buddies have to sign out every time one of us wants to make a vid. Thanks Bungie) no other game I can think of (although I'm sure there are a few I've missed) has this option. It's pretty awesome being able to make a clip of your best kills and Halo's physics makes for some craziness that can't be found in COD. Mongoose through a mancannon for a triple kill splatter? You wish Black Ops.

- Forge/community creations. The crowning jewel of the list. I'd imagine it goes overlooked by the majority of the Halo community, but it's limits are only your imagination. Not just a map editor, a GAME editor. From (a now) community favorite of Grifball introduced in Halo 3 (pretty much Halo rugby) to a King Of The Hill map where the hill is a moving vehicle the possibilities are endless. Bungie even puts well built and liked Forge maps made by any member of the community into regular rotation in matchmaking. Free. Maps. From the community. On a regular basis. There's even a whole section with four or five different playlists with crazy and inventive game types. Need I say more?

So, can anybody offer a valid and well thought out argument against Halo? Sure some of you are just going to have personal preference issues, which is fine, but I'm not just talking about this. I'm aiming more for the people who actually think it's a bad game. If all I get are assinine neanderthal responses it'll just confirm my theory that you have to be mentally incompetent to actually HATE the series.

Blog Entries
    To be clear up front: My hatred for Halo is a terrible spill over from my hatred for it's fan base, which is probably based on my friend's erotic fixation of that series. It also makes me sick to see a game series that seems to have half its fan base only plays multiplayer, and COD is just as annoying about it. So yeah, I hate the fans I meet, not the game. I find the game relatively fun, and Bungie is an insanely good game company. The ONLY logical reason I can find to hate it applies to 80% of movies and video games lately: We're tired of the same game continuities and sequels, and they want something new.
    D.O.A.

I can feel that, but it's just the times we live in. Media and technology move so fast and people want more more more. 1 to 2 years turn around for a sequel is standard nowadays and it just isn't going to change. There are so many companies out there making so many great games now that when they find a franchise that works they have to keep their name in the game and not be forgotten 4 or 5 years later.

The exception to this is Valve. They handle their IPs in a great way IMO. In an age where every studio seems to go from Game to Game 2 to Game 3 until no one buys them anymore, Valve takes their time and mixes in new IPs to stay fresh. Do they have a franchise with a 3 in it yet? L4D2. Portal 2. Team Fortress 2. Half Life 2. Half Life 2 Episode 2. We're just at the point where publishers have multiple franchises, developers don't. It's the corporatization of the industry.

To an extant Nintendo is another good exception. New franchises have been kind of lacking on the Wii, but they don't just go from Zelda, to Zelda 2, to Zelda 3, dead, ONTO MARIO! By not shoving it down our throats they keep the interest in the series relevant which serves their interest in the long term than milking it to death in the short term.

Now that I think about it, the trend is more true of western developers than Japanese. Interesting.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I did think of one thing: I find the Halo series kinda disturbing from the story point. The overarching war seems to be a Slave Army, made up of a multitude of different creatures, vs a Genetically Altered, Uni-race, Dressed to have no identity army? And the Spartans are suppose to be the good guys? It's a little bit of a nitpick, but I still find it creepy so few people ever realize this. Plus, in the ODST commercial (I think), a soldier is injected with the genetic thingy, and his eyes turn blue. Wth Bungie?

Course, this is something few people will ever realize and won't be a major point of hatred.
    D.O.A.

In the Halo mythology I believe the Grunts (though it may be the Jackals) are essentially forced into the Covenant. As far as a Uni Race goes, you never see civilians because the focus is on war. There are civilians, not everyone is in the army, but once again in the Halo mythology I believe they are a military government and the Spartans were created originally to crush rebellions. As far as the genetically altered army goes, Spartans aren't the whole army. They're more like a Spec Ops team, and most of em are dead anyway, lol.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the idea isn't 100% defendable--I've never read any of the books--I'm just babbling ideas that come out. I really can't think of any reason to hate a game that's good.
    D.O.A.

Blog Entries
    Although I have 30 minutes of Halo playing time I can say this.
    Halo 3 suffered from over-hyped syndrome and didn't live up to peoples stupidly high expectations. It happened to GTA 4 as well.

I believe Halo 4, 5 and 6 will either make it one of the greatest gaming franchises ever. Or destroy it. Although Halo 2 was very fun. Even with only 30 minutes of playing it XD

Quote Originally Posted by RomanFlare View Post
    Oh, I did think of one thing: I find the Halo series kinda disturbing from the story point. The overarching war seems to be a Slave Army, made up of a multitude of different creatures, vs a Genetically Altered, Uni-race, Dressed to have no identity army? And the Spartans are suppose to be the good guys? It's a little bit of a nitpick, but I still find it creepy so few people ever realize this. Plus, in the ODST commercial (I think), a soldier is injected with the genetic thingy, and his eyes turn blue. Wth Bungie?
    Course, this is something few people will ever realize and won't be a major point of hatred.
    Well I hate to nitpick but eyes turning blue it was never mentioned in the books. I think they added that to the 'Reach' commercial to make it more exciting somehow.

Do you really think Bunjie wrote a story to say that a 'Pure Master Race' was under attack from a 'Mixed Race Apocalypse.' No the only reason they did it was to add a challenge to combat. Having different 'classes' to fight against at the same time adds to the difficulty.

"Dressed to have no identity"
    Do you mean they are completely covered in high tech armor? You have been able to customize the armor since Halo 3, in the multiplayer at least. In Reach every Spartan modifies their armor. ODST marines are also completely covered in armor do you complain about them not having an identity? What about every other game that has full body armor? Do you complain about them?
    I will never forget you, CBot. You will always be my one true love.

I'm with IPITB.

I love Halo, I won't hide it, but there is one simple reason I love it.

It's fun, isn't that why people enjoy things? You don't get angry at dying, you laugh how you died.

Seriously, if you haven't before, check out "Fail of the Weak" on YouTube. It's created by RoosterTeeth, famous for the RedVsBlue series. It will guarantee to make you smile.
    TBOZ - Current EWNCW Evolution Champion - 28/05/2013

Former EWNCW World Heavyweight Champion - 06/03/2012 - 04/07/2012

Former 4x WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPION with GodMoney

Want to become that great? Then join EWNCW today! PM me!

Need advice on how to get started as an e-wrestler? Just PM me, I'm always free to chat!

I've watched almost all of those. They're hilarious and just want to make you play the game in hopes of dying so spectacularly too.