Was wrestling better before it had writers?

I put this on the old school forum because most new fans have no idea that wrestling didn't always have writers. In fact it didn't have them till the mid to late 90's. WCW didn't get them intill they got Russo in 99 and that pretty much killed it. My problem with writers is they don't understand the history of wrestling and what made it special to begin with. I much prefer a booker who matches the wrestlers together and lets them cut their own promo's. It gives the wrestlers a better chance to get themselves over and it makes one wrestler stand out from another. When the same writers write everyones lines they all sound alike to me. I may be alone in this being that I like more sports in my sports entertainment then most. Like JR says I prefer the steak to the sizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdogg4 View Post
    I put this on the old school forum because most new fans have no idea that wrestling didn't always have writers. In fact it didn't have them till the mid to late 90's. WCW didn't get them intill they got Russo in 99 and that pretty much killed it. My problem with writers is they don't understand the history of wrestling and what made it special to begin with. I much prefer a booker who matches the wrestlers together and lets them cut their own promo's. It gives the wrestlers a better chance to get themselves over and it makes one wrestler stand out from another. When the same writers write everyones lines they all sound alike to me. I may be alone in this being that I like more sports in my sports entertainment then most. Like JR says I prefer the steak to the sizzle.
    lol nobody remembers? I'm fine with people not agreeing with me by the way

There has always been bookers, but I guess now the term is writer. With so much talent in organizations now, the booking cannot come down to one man as it was in the 70's and 80's. You had between 10-20 "main" guys in each promotion with them basically knocking around jobbers on TV. With the emphasis on storys and back-ground pushing towards a match, there has to be a "booking" team. Basically it is worked as a soap-opera now.

R.I.P. Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggy View Post
    There has always been bookers, but I guess now the term is writer. With so much talent in organizations now, the booking cannot come down to one man as it was in the 70's and 80's. You had between 10-20 "main" guys in each promotion with them basically knocking around jobbers on TV. With the emphasis on storys and back-ground pushing towards a match, there has to be a "booking" team. Basically it is worked as a soap-opera now.
    bookers didn't write peoples lines or unrealistic story lines though.

Fresh Member
    Blog Entries
    I sort of hate the concept of the writer because it implies wrestlers fake firstly, but also yeah they dont have any experience in wrestling to be a part of it and its lead to the system in WWE we have know where they are disrespecting wrestling and don't know what to do that captures the attention of the fans, instead because they are writers they write fiction and make wrestling appear as one big overblown soap opera.

Although...I agree with a point Raven made on the guest booker dvd where he said writers came in to help the undercard guys and midcarders who couldnt get over and needed gimmicks etc. I can understand that to a degree that actual they could to some degree help the wrestlers but not all of them. The problem was they thought they could write for everyone and in the end that's what gave them the control and killed the booker, when Vince gave control to his daughter and she hired some like minded writers who use wrestling as just another show to write for so they can get to bigger and better things.