Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Future of Wrestling (Excited?)

I am sure that there has been a post on this done before. And if I am correct, then I apologize for double posting. I have been a dedicated wrestling fan for over 20 years (with a few years hiatus because of military time) and I have seen legends come and go. Hundreds of great matches and countless memories of my youth always make me feel better when I am watching.
    I read lots of forums on here during my free time, which I have a lot of, and I have noticed that everyone is complaining about the current state of WWE and their PG rating...yadda yadda yadda. It reminds me of the late 80's to early 90's. The problem right now is that the WWE is in the middle of a talent turnover. We will slowly being seeing more and more of the "Legends of our generation" retiring or switching to less active roles.
    I personally think that this is a great thing. Yes, we have to deal with some crappy wrestling matches and promos right now. And the writing has been, obviously, just slapped together. But I think people need to give it time. It's hard to think of things to do when you've already done it all with what you have. It's this mentality that keeps me excited about wrestling. Just think about what the future could possibly have in store.
    Once WWE gets a new stable of stars, I see another boom in the industry being extremely possible. I base this totally on my opinion and past history of course. The last time that WWE had an overhaul of talent (not that there will be one, it just seems like its leading that way) the Attitude Era is what ensued. The pushes of Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, Y2J, HBK....I could go on and on as I'm sure everyone thinks of that era fondly.
    Yes, there is a downturn in writing right now. Yes, they arent really having many great matches. But the potential is there. And the talent is slowly making it's way back in. Just give it some time.
    What is everyone most excited about in the future tho? It will give everyone some perspective on what is possibly awaiting us. Personally, I can't wait until Daniel Bryan and Kaval put on a wrestling clinic at Wrestlemania down the road as well as the imminent creation of a stable of 2nd and 3rd generation superstars. There are so many coming in that it only makes sense.

I think the golden age of wrestling has gone, mainly due to the internet. Before then, no one had a clue what was going on and getting new wrestlers from other promotions was suprising and exciting. These days everyone knows what is going on etc and it has taken alot of the fun out of it.

R.I.P. Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggy View Post
    I think the golden age of wrestling has gone, mainly due to the internet. Before then, no one had a clue what was going on and getting new wrestlers from other promotions was suprising and exciting. These days everyone knows what is going on etc and it has taken alot of the fun out of it.
    sad but true
    If I can be serious for a minute..

EWNCW - E Wrestling News Championship Wrestling

This is true.

Blog Entries
    It will be a few years of establishing new stars. In the meantime it will suffer. But I personally will remain a fan of the product as this era reminds me of late 93 to early 97.

Quote Originally Posted by merhardt03 View Post
    It will be a few years of establishing new stars. In the meantime it will suffer. But I personally will remain a fan of the product as this era reminds me of late 93 to early 97.
    Sadly I disagree, back then you had stars that swung between WCW and WWF, not many new creations were formed. It as only the "attitude" era, when the Monday night wars did WWF begin to create new stars. OK Austin had been around, but he had no creative behind him, but got to WWE and he created his own persona.

The era you are talking of was not the creation of anyting new, it was the era of recycling old talent. It was only in 98 that the new era was born.

R.I.P. Guys

Completely agree with this...

P.S To the OP you should really space out this thread, it would be so much easier to read.

Another issue in the WWE is the fact that you have a select few that "protect" their spots. Ken Anderson has spoken on it, and so has Greg Helms. (Both available at pwrshow.com *an excellent website*) Look at Anderson. He threatened someone's spot in the company and poof, after making an awesome return to WWE he was gone the next day. Look at Elijah Burke.... he went to TNA where he was allowed to have creativity and now we have The Pope. If HHH, Cena, or Orton feel that someone is threatening their position in the company then they take action.

Take John Morrison for example. Probably one of the most athletically gifted guys in the business today. And because you have a modern day legend in the business in Y2J who is willing to put over new talent he is finally getting a deserved push. But honestly, once the program with Jericho is done and over with, where will Morrison go? You think Cena is going to lay down for Morrison? Is HHH going to let Morrison get a win over The Game? Just like the pushes of Evan Bourne, MVP, and Kofi Kingston (and maybe CM Punk? ) John Morrison's push will slam into the glass ceiling.

As for Kaval and Daniel Bryan.... these guy's are amazing competitors in the ring and I really hope WWE pushes them to the stars. Kaval supposedly won a title shot when he won NXT, right? Then why have him job to Drew McIntyre? Why not let him build some steam? Face the facts, Mysterio has less then 5 years left in him unless they lighten his schedule. Who better to mold into that spot as the tough underdog than Kaval?

And we have The Miz. Let's face it. The guy's awesome. His character can easily be made a face or heel (kinda like The Rock). And he is MR MONEY IN THE BANK! So who's going to let Miz take the title off of them.... Sheamus was believable. But Randy Orton? Cena? HHH? No freakin way!

By securing their spot and millions of dollars they make every year, the top 1% of WWE is weakening the business in the long run. Yeah spoiler's suck, but they're not the reason we haven't had new maineventers (except for Sheamus) in the last 5 years.

Vince McMahon would not be a millionaire if he hadn't had some creative control...

R.I.P. Guys

i think the day we the iwc think we can book better than russo tna or the wwe..seriously some of us think we can do better the reality is we cannot since we dont even know how it feels to work in backstage politics...we also need to stop thinking wwe is god and give other companies a shot instead of burrying them like we do...doesnt anyoen remmeber wcw vs wwe woundt u love to have that again...tna is the cloest thing we have to something from wcw/ecw day and we bash it like crazy and all they do is try to put on shows that we used to like but i do agree that we need new ideas...but what can u possibly do thats new....for example i was reading the jersey shore gimmick tna is havin people are already bashin it sayin its gonna fail...how the fuck do u know its gonna fail what makes u so good...point is we need to enjoy wrestling instead of anaylizin it