Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

The Official EWN Book Review

What books, wrestling or other, would you recommend to people? Leave a short review of the book, genre and why it appealed (or didn't) to you.

*(There was a thread like this some time ago but I cannot for the life of me, find it)

Blog Entries
    I just read Cross Rhodes: Goldust Out of The Darkness by Dustin Rhodes. (duh)

I'd have to say it was a fairly satisfying book, but not overly so. Very honest and covers all areas of his career but I found it to be sorely lacking in road stories and the ones covered aren't done very satisfactorily - at least to my liking. It might sound like I didn't enjoy it but that's not the case. As a fan of Goldust, it was nice to flesh out who Dustin Rhodes(Runnels) a little bit.

About a third of the book is centered around his recovery. There are a few home truths about the nature of addiction, but to me it just emphasised how much importance he places on his sobriety.

My score:7.5 out of 10

Chris Jericho, A Lions Tale

Constantly either overated or underated, Jericho is a man bound for the Hall of Fame and, more importantly, a man whose name will be remembered for many years to come.
    Not a big guy by any means, Irvine (Jericho) has used his intellect and determination to get where he is today.
    His book was informative and not too drawn out. He lets you in on just enough 'inside info' to wet your appetite. Too much information and the thrill of the unknown is lost.
    I enjoyed reading his story of his younger years, all the fighting and travelling and commitment of many well known wrestlers in the industry today as well as himself. It was interesting to see just what it takes to get where they are today - a journey many 'fans' today don't ever think about.
    For some reason, many of us have the delusion that these guys just 'jump in' to WWE.

My elder sister, a self confessed non wrestling fan read this book cover to cover in 2 days - despite having to stop and ask about who certain people were and what certain terms meant (try explaining 'getting over', 'heat', 'tweener' etc with a straight face to someone who thinks your talking double dutch) - she thoroughly enjoyed this book and that goes to show the appeal of it.

Interestingly, it should also be noted, Chris Irvine wrote the book himself, with no ghost writer - a la Foley. A very talented individual.

Marks: 9/10

Banned
    In an old van with no windows, passing out free candy.
    IPEEINTHESHOWER is interested in anything Aliens or ancient history. The last book I read was The Day After Roswell by Col. Philip J Corso.

Destined to become a field and research classic, this book is authored by a retired colonel from the United States Army. Having served as an advisor to various presidents, Col. Corso (retired) has the highest status to date of anyone coming forward to openly admit the truth about the UFO which crashed in Roswell, New Mexico in July 1947.

Now in his eighties, the author had such a high level position with the army that anyone doubting his veracity must acknowledge the man had nothing further to gain by telling the truth at his age. The book is written crisply and will captivate anyone interested in UFOs, military buffs, or anyone having fought in World War II, the Korean War or Viet Nam wars. Much presidential history is covered in detail with good links as to which presidents were informed and which ones were misinformed by those they believed to be their trusted cabinet or CIA contacts.

To date, most of the negative jabs taken against the book have come from other branches of the United States military or security groups. Clearly, the author stepped on a few toes here!

The history provided by Corso is fascinating: In detail, he discloses how he saw one of the Roswell corpses, and how recovered artifacts were hidden from other branches of the military, the president, and the public by labeling these things as "foreign technology." The ruse was clever, and worked.

Other military and government officials were led to believe the "foreign technology desk" headed up by Corso's boss was to distribute technology stolen from the Nazi's, East Germans, Russians, or other military threats to the United States.

The book makes it eminently clear that the "cold war" with Russia was just a political foil against the real threat to the Earth's safety: UFOs. Corso explains how the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) treaty and the Star Wars project were intended to protect Earth from UFOs. The Russians cooperated in this political ruse since it was in their best interest to cooperate with the U.S. military, which was attempting to develop missiles to protect the entire Earth from extraterrestrial attack. So, while the cold war with Russia was the political foil to keep funding alive for these secret military projects, the foreign technology desk distributed the Roswell artifacts to various government contractors.

Corso's job in 1961-2 was to study the Roswell artifacts, read the investigators' reports, then determine which government contractor would be given the artifact under the guise of technology stolen from a foreign military power.

All contractors were told to reverse-engineer and then file for a patent under their own names. This would inspire the technology to be discovered while concealing its origin as extraterrestrial.

For example, Corso learned one of the broken computer chips from the Roswell disc was given to Bell Telephone labs in 1948. The chip was reverse-engineered and resulted in a catapulting of the computer industry.

Blog Entries
    Heartbreak and Triumph: The Shawn Michaels story by Shamwn Michaels.

Excellent book. Quite honestly the best autobiography I've read to date. It covers his whole life, growing up, entering wrestling, getting into WWF, his constant addiction to drugs, his back injury, becoming a born again christian, returning to WWE. It's a very honest and emotional story and I'd recommend it to anybody.
    9.5/10
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Blog Entries
    When I was a kid, I used to always grab a wrestling mag from the store as there we no books or DVD compilations then. However, I have read only two wrestling related books thus far. They were Mick Foley's 'Have a Nice Day', and Bischoff's 'Controversy Creates Cash'.

Foley's book was really good especially for the fact that he wrote it alone. There were some great stories in there.

Bischoff's book was also good as you get insight as to why he does things his way.

I recommend both books for the private sanctuary, aka the bathroom.

Have a Nice Day: 8/10
    Controversy Creates Cash: 6/10

What Was The Last Book You Read?

In the tradition of Last Movie Watched and Currently Listening To threads I'm throwing a little refinement out there. What is your favorite book and/or what are you currently reading? I'll go first. So far my favorite book has been Cormac McCarthy's The Road (movie was pretty good as well). Something about being a father really allowed me to connect with the story more than I've ever connected with a book. I am now getting started on A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ PUNK View Post
    I'll third that. Angelina looks like a heroin addict. Her skin is more leathery than Hogans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot-Hair View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; Instead of Chyna concentrating on getting back into wrestling she needs to concentrate on getting that 8 inch she-bean that she has hanging between her legs removed...

I've read and very much enjoyed the Sisters of the Moon Series by Yasmine Galenorn, these are some of my all time favorite books.

I also read the Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and Twilight series as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Zero View Post
    I've read and very much enjoyed the Sisters of the Moon Series by Yasmine Galenorn, these are some of my all time favorite books.

I also read the Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and Twilight series as well.
    oh know, you didn't say the T word did you
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ PUNK View Post
    I'll third that. Angelina looks like a heroin addict. Her skin is more leathery than Hogans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot-Hair View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; Instead of Chyna concentrating on getting back into wrestling she needs to concentrate on getting that 8 inch she-bean that she has hanging between her legs removed...

Quote Originally Posted by 68wPayne View Post
    oh know, you didn't say the T word did you
    Lol The books do justice to the series not the horrible movies.

Often times its best to read the books and imagine in your head as the author intended rather than seeing it the way a multi-million dollar movie studio wants you to see it.

Its been that way with most book series I've read throughout the years.