Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summerslam 2016

Blog Entries
    OK. So I watched Summerslam again tonight. I think it was a good PPV but poorly structured in terms of match placement.

Opening match was good placement, and Jericho & Owens going over gives them good heat. Job done.

The women's title match next was a great match with the correct winner in my humble opinion (I'm a big fan of Charlotte), but why was that placed so early in the card? Was the six-woman tag match more important? Granted Nikki Bella got a great pop for her return but still...wrong way round, surely? The women's title match had a big match feel and it felt like Summerslam was peaking too early.

Apollo Crews vs. The Miz was a decent filler match to recover from the women's match. Nice to see someone hold the IC title for longer than seven seconds.

Then we really did peak too early. Cena vs. Styles was incredible. The pace was perfect and the build to a clean finish for Styles was beyond perfect. If the PPV ended there, it would have been fine.

New Day vs. The Club was another filler. Jon Stewart...seriously, again? I'd like a break from New Day now. I loved them, and I'm not saying take them off TV altogether, but a little less exposure for them right now could invigorate fans' enthusiasm for them again.

When the 'WWE Heavyweight/WWE World Heavyweight/WWE World/I'm sure this title has a weekly name change' came on, I honestly thought last night that the four hours of Summerslam flew by. It wasn't until I looked at the clock that I realised that the top title in the company is on the middle of the fucking show! Is CM Punk champion again? Match was OK, but we've already peaked. Nothing is matching Cena/Styles.

6-women match was a good match, but too high up the card and it too suffered from being on after Cena/Styles. At this point, and especially the next match, you could sense the audience were getting frustrated and already being tired out by, you guessed it, Cena and Styles.

Universal title next. A great match that I thoroughly enjoyed, and it created the second main event star of the night in Balor.

Then the US title. I'm confused. The heel is defending his wife's honour and is then bullied about by the face? Then the match never happened. The crowd are dying and needed an injection of energy and whilst the logic was there for this segment to create that energy, it didn't work. I'm tired at home watching it, so the audience must be exhausted.

Then the erection killer of a main event. The match felt like a standard Lesnar match that you can set your watch to, and the end of it was uncomfortable to watch. Who honestly went home happy after that ending? After such a long show, did we really want to see someone get pummelled in a pool of their own blood? And there wasn't any blading there. That elbow was brutal. The night needed something big that'll make the crowd pop, but they got something big that almost silenced them. I think what was created there was the Summerslam equivalent to the ending of the streak.

I think you could rejig that card, have everything happen exactly as it did and it would have been a better show. Cena and Styles put on an arguably 5 star match, and it killed the PPV.
    Last edited by BennyTheBall; 08-22-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Benny The Ball's Teddy is here to fuck you up...

...and then steal your girl!

#BennysTeddy

The 6 woman match needed to be there rather than the Womens Title match. You don't want to get caught between the two main Title matches but being match 2 wasn't right either. For all the 'Revolution' bluster they keep going on about, the amount of match time on Raw and PPV placements they receive, the division isn't really that evolved in the overall scheme of things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    The 6 woman match needed to be there rather than the Womens Title match.
    Fair point. I've tried re-building the card myself and it's tricky with the matches, but if I built the card, I think:

Jericho & Owens vs. Enzo & Cass - was an excellent PPV opener, and I'd keep it where it was booked

Rusev vs. Reigns - I think what happened would have had a much bigger pop and more impact had it happened this early in the night

6-woman tag match - a well worked match with a return that was welcomed by the audience

Balor vs. Rollins - now hold on, before anyone jumps down my throat! A big match is needed here and since the Universal title is not an established title yet, and also giving Smackdown a bit of a boost by having their title on later in the show, I think that this is the correct placement.

New Day vs. The Club - Odd booking aside by having the faces DQ to keep the titles, this is a good filler for a post main event title match.

Banks vs. Flair - This is a better placement for the Women's title match. After a bit of a break, and it builds up to...

Cena vs. Styles - Having watched Summerslam, I would have put this on last BUT I'm trying to build this card as if I'm doing it before Summerslam happened. With that in mind, I think this is the right place for this match.

Crews vs. Miz
    - Big match needs a piss break. We welcome The Miz for such a thing.

Ambrose vs. Ziggler - A match not as good as those that have preceded it, but it gives Smackdown a boost by being higher on the card than Raw and will hopefully show WWE's stance that SD is as important as Raw.

Orton vs. Lesnar - A match that fell flat but based on the fact that I'm putting together this card 'before' SS and based on the hype WWE put into it, this is the obvious show closer.

Pretending to look at that card structure before Summerslam, I think that makes more sense and I would go as far to say that assuming all the finishes are exactly the same as what happened, the show would work out better with this structure.

Obviously I have the benefit of hindsight.
    Last edited by BennyTheBall; 08-23-2016 at 05:07 AM.

Benny The Ball's Teddy is here to fuck you up...

...and then steal your girl!

#BennysTeddy

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheBall View Post

Rusev vs. Reigns - I think what happened would have had a much bigger pop and more impact had it happened this early in the night
    I'm dissapointed with that match. I would have prefer Rusev to win and retain instead of that waste of time brawl. He is supposed to be a brute and by the way he is the US Champ. I don't understand were Vince wants to go with him. He had great matches when he debuted and he was built like a monster, and now he is only jobbing to Reigns.

Because of what happened at Summerslam, I thought he would cost Reigns his match on RAW, but no. I believe this will happen next RAW in the Fata 4 way.

Quote Originally Posted by PSOjedi View Post
    I'm dissapointed with that match. I would have prefer Rusev to win and retain instead of that waste of time brawl. He is supposed to be a brute and by the way he is the US Champ. I don't understand were Vince wants to go with him. He had great matches when he debuted and he was built like a monster, and now he is only jobbing to Reigns.

Because of what happened at Summerslam, I thought he would cost Reigns his match on RAW, but no. I believe this will happen next RAW in the Fata 4 way.
    As long as rusev is the champ and moves on and booked strong after the Vince favorite reigns feud I'm cool wid it

MARK DIMENSION
    *EWNCW INTERNATIONAL CHAMPION
    11.27.2011-3.6.2012

*EwncW EVOLUTION CHAMPION
    11.12.2012-5.28.2013
    11.25.14-

THE NEW ASSAULT PROGRAM
    *BWA INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONS
    9.4.2011-Forever

*BWA/EwncW INTERNET CHAMPIONS
    5.5.2012-9.26.2012

*EwncW CHAMPIONS