Thread: 41%

41%

41%..specifically 40.6% of all performers/managers involved in matches on the SummerSlam '90 card are now deceased. I'm not here to talk about why, etc. Any wrestling fan knows that this is an ongoing concern with the wrestling business in general. I'm just providing this very intriguing, yet sad, fact. Perhaps those that read this will follow up with comments to get a conversation going about what can or can not be done to stop this trend. Imagine 25 years from now we are looking back at the card from SummerSlam '14 and saying the same thing.. Lets hope not.

Here are the facts:

Total performers/managers: 32
    Alive today: 19
    Deceased: 13
    % of deceased: 40.6% = 41%

List of the deceased:

The Texas Tornado (died in 1993 at age 33 / suicide)
    Dino Bravo (died in 1993 at age 44 / murdered)
    Sapphire (died in 1996 at age 61 / heart attack)
    Rick Rude (died in 1999 at age 40 / heart failure)
    Mr. Perfect (died in 2003 at age 44 / acute cocain intoxication)
    Big Boss Man (died in 2004 at age 41 / heart attack)
    Hercules (died in 2006 at age 47 / heart disease)
    Earthquake (died in 2006 at age 42 / bladder cancer)
    Crush (died in 2007 at age 43 / cause of death: accidental overdose from painkillers and muscle relaxers)
    Sensational Queen Sherri (died in 2007 at age 49 / overdose, high amounts of oxycodone)
    Bad News Brown (died in 2007 at age 64 / heart attack)
    Randy Savage (died in 2011 at age 58 / heart attack)
    The Ultimate Warrior (died in 2014 at age 54 / atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease)

Performers from that card who are still alive today:

Paul Roma
    Shawn Michaels
    Marty Jannetty
    Bobby Heenan
    The Warlord
    Slick
    Tito Santana
    Bret Hart
    Jim Neidhart
    Smash
    Jake Roberts
    Jim Duggan
    Pat Tanaka
    Sato
    Mr. Fuji
    Jimmy Hart
    Dusty Rhodes
    Hulk Hogan
    Nikolai Volkoff

Thanks for the read, feel free to comment below

Blog Entries
    If you look at those who are deceased, most of them have had problems with substance/alcohol abuse and so on. It's true that some of the ones that are alive have too, but they've either curved their life for the better in time or have just been lucky.

Today, there are far stricter, rules, guidelines and regular tests for the performers that they simply HAVE to follow or risk losing their job. These (like the WWE's wellness policy) are in place for the benefit of the performers so that we don't get a situation where in years time we're looking back at another generation of wrestlers that died way before their time. So with that in mind, I think as the years go on, the average age of wrestlers should increase. I think the ones that are on the WWE roster right now are in a good position as far as taking care of their bodies are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    If you look at those who are deceased, most of them have had problems with substance/alcohol abuse and so on. It's true that some of the ones that are alive have too, but they've either curved their life for the better in time or have just been lucky.

Today, there are far stricter, rules, guidelines and regular tests for the performers that they simply HAVE to follow or risk losing their job. These (like the WWE's wellness policy) are in place for the benefit of the performers so that we don't get a situation where in years time we're looking back at another generation of wrestlers that died way before their time. So with that in mind, I think as the years go on, the average age of wrestlers should increase. I think the ones that are on the WWE roster right now are in a good position as far as taking care of their bodies are concerned.
    Definitely agree, Tommy. At least it seems that way, which is a good step in the right direction. Whether it's WWE actually taking measures to help out, or the wrestlers learning from the previous generation, or a combination of the two, it's good to see. Now if they could only go back and learn from them how to cut a decent promo, we'd be all set. Haha. But thats a conversation for a different thread..