Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TNA Announce Team

Announce teams can make or break a product. Unlike talent, announcers have to be at every broadcast and Pay-per-view. I remember Eric Bichoff saying that first thing that he did to WCW was change its announce team.

I'm sure, that everyone has heard the news of bringing in Josh Mathews to replace Mike Tenay. I for once am not fond of this change at all. Biggest reason would be that Mathews would be looked upon as a WWE guy along with Tazz. When you bring Mathews and Tazz together, then all you are doing is reuniting WWE Velocity announce team.

At this time they need some fresh commentary to go along with their new branding. I would even consider bringing back Don West to team with some recently retired wrestler, that would be the way to go. The height of TNA's announce team was when Mike Tenay and Don West were doing it.

What do you think about Josh Mathews entering the frame? Who would be the ideal choice for you?

Blog Entries
    I'll be honest with you, when I recognized that Matthews and Taz were going to be TNA's planned announce team in the near future, the first thing that crossed my mind definitely wasn't the fact that they're both ex WWE guys, and it certainly wasn't "oh, they're reuniting the old Velocity announce team". In fact, had you not pointed out that those two were the old announce team for Velocity, I wouldn't have known/remembered, so I don't see that as the first conclusion people will jump to.

Matthews is a good announcer and one that deserves a chance to have a crack at being the top play by play announcer in a company. As good as Mike Tenay has been, he's well past his sell by date IMO (a hindsight that I sometimes feel bout JR to when WWE decided to fade him out of their announce team), and the fresher, younger Matthews is a great choice to be the new voice of TNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I'll be honest with you, when I recognized that Matthews and Taz were going to be TNA's planned announce team in the near future, the first thing that crossed my mind definitely wasn't the fact that they're both ex WWE guys, and it certainly wasn't "oh, they're reuniting the old Velocity announce team". In fact, had you not pointed out that those two were the old announce team for Velocity, I wouldn't have known/remembered, so I don't see that as the first conclusion people will jump to.
    100% agree with this.

Personally, I like Mathews and it's nice too see he will be giving a chance. I know some people are not keen on Taz, but he generally makes me laugh with his comments at the announce table and so I'm glad it's him staying, not Tenay.

Plus from what I have read, it's likely Tenay will have a role backstage- Using his experience to feed lines to the commentary duo which should work well for all three of them.

IWA:
    1x Tag Team Champion - Ramon/Infection.
    IWA & EWN Tag Team of the Year 2013 - Ramon/Infection.

HWA:
    1x Adrenaline Champion - Ramon.
    HWA & EWN Champion of the Year 2012 - Ramon.
    Feud of the Year 2012 - Ramon/Clique
    Shocking Moment of the Year 2012 - Ramon/Clique

WWE:
    Feud of the Year 2013 - Rock/Ambrose.
    Promo of the Year 2013 - Rock/Ambrose.

PWR:
    1x Women's Champion - Akira Tajiri
    Female of the Year 2015 - Akira Tajiri

Don't get me wrong here, I got nothing against Mathews, but the guy is way too generic. He doesn't come off, as an on air commentator and simply has no gimmick. His only memorable stint was, when he was being bullied by JBL. I don't remember any quotes from Mathews nor a specific moment that makes me say, "hey I wanna hear more from this guy."

Maybe Josh deserves a chance to be top commentator in TNA, but the fact that his partner is Tazz only makes things worst. Tazz hardly call the in ring action, and most of his stuff revolves around himself or Knockouts calender. They need to promote the calender, but is it necessary to talk about it for whole knockouts match?

It's just a matter of personal taste here, I guess. I was never a fan of Tazz from the get go, and the fact that, I never really seen him wrestle didn't help the cause at all. I would take former ROH announce team of Kevin Kelly and Nigel McGuinness, over Tazz and "plug any name here" any day.

To be honest one if not both of Tenay and Tazz needs to go, but I never been a fan of Tenay (WCW included) so this seems like the right choice. He's always came across to me as a bit of a smart ass (not in a good way). As if he knows to much for his own good and not afraid to rub it in. Tazz on the other hand does have some good one liners, but that about it.

I really enjoyed the 3 man announce team TNA used for a few weeks. It was a breath of fresh air. Hopefully Mathews can freshen things up. A good announce team is a difference maker.

First thing I think of with Mathews is not announcer, but moonsault from tough enough.

I would've thrown the checkbook at J.r.

But Matthews and taz wouldn't be a bad team . (Replace taz too if possible)

MARK DIMENSION
    *EWNCW INTERNATIONAL CHAMPION
    11.27.2011-3.6.2012

*EwncW EVOLUTION CHAMPION
    11.12.2012-5.28.2013
    11.25.14-

THE NEW ASSAULT PROGRAM
    *BWA INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONS
    9.4.2011-Forever

*BWA/EwncW INTERNET CHAMPIONS
    5.5.2012-9.26.2012

*EwncW CHAMPIONS
    4.7.2013-8.25.2013

SCARFO JONEZ
    *TWE BLOODOATH CHAMPION
    SEPTEMBER.23,2012

DEPRI$e
    AWF SUPERFLY CHAMPION
    NOVEMBER.15,2011

N
    *2x ICW INSANITY CHAMPION
    6.28. 2012-6.28.2012
    6.29. 2012-6.29.2012

CHUNKERTAKER
    0-1,787 at wrestlevania

Quote Originally Posted by chunkkynutzzz View Post
    I would've thrown the checkbook at J.r.
    I never really got everyone's obsession with Jim Ross. The guy is 62, made enough money in his life and on top, got his own business. No doubt! He is one of the greatest of all times, but seriously it's about time to let him go.

Is it really wise, to throw big money at J.R. when you can hire someone fresh for less than half the price? Oh and did I mention that TNA is tight on money. Not saying they should have hired him, if money wasn't an issue.

Don't you think it's about time that someone new should be given the ball. Last time they tried that with Don West, and by no means that can be called a failure.

I would not mind JR as a ppv announcer. Other than that I think he would be a better fit back stage.

The more I think about it a Don West type would be great. Tazz is ok with his one liners, but he does not seem to get emotionally involved and does not seem believable.

Blog Entries
    As far as calling action goes, Matthews always did a good job I thought. Yeah, he may be a little generic, but he's a play by play commentator, he calls the action, and he does that well.
    I agree that TNA should replace Taz too though, he's just terrible. He was pretty good when he was back in WWE on Smackdown, but since jumping to TNA he's been on a very steep slippery slope and he's now useless as far as I'm concerned. He's to TNA what Jerry Lawler is to WWE's announce team.

Would have wished, I heard," Shut up Josh!!" at the end of TNA Impact. Now that is whom, I want alongside Mathews.

Pretty sure you all got whom, I'm referring to.