View Poll Results: Do You Agree With The NBA's Decision?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 86.67%
  • No

2 13.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries
    First off, let's not pretend this is the first time Donald Sterling has been caught being a racist prick.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/donal...history-2014-4
    That links to quite a few incidents, stemming all the way from 1983.
    Secondly your entire "Well it's something he said privately" argument just flat out doesn't hold water. If I say that all women should have their tits cut off, it won't really matter if I say that at a press conference, while pulled over by a cop, or to a girlfriend with a cell-phone. What matters is what is actually said. Coming from a person with a long history of being a racist prick, this was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. In order for Sterling to have a case, he'd first have to prove he's not a racist, and he hasn't been able to do that for 30 years.

Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broc View Post
    First part, thats fine. Your opinion, I wont tell you whats right and whats wrong there.

Second part though, no. In court, that tape is pretty much useless. Why? Because it was recorded without Sterlings concent, which, by the way, is ILLEGAL. The court would not recognize it.
    No it isn't my opinion when Clippers manager and best players are black, not when the sponsors have already threatened to pull out which the commissioner even addressed saying he would hope the sponsors stick with Clippers.

Second part though, no. In court, that tape is pretty much useless. Why? Because it was recorded without Sterlings concent, which, by the way, is ILLEGAL. The court would not recognize it.
    Nah you really are a special kind of idiot. The court aren't prosecuting Sterling, the tape is for NBA to believe that he is a racist, illegally or legally obtained doesn't matter to the NBA. The court just have to be convinced what NBA did was reasonable. This is not a case to send Sterling to jail, please remember that.

Blog Entries
    Broc, I'm sure I read the woman who "released" the tapes was his archivist. Her role then is to record conversations (I read somewhere, I don't know how accurate, that she has over 100 hours of conversation with him). He knew he was being recorded, but he didn't know that it would be released, and therefore would be used in the court (but again, this may not be reliable, so have any facts to prove me wrong).

Also, here in the UK, a racist remark on Twitter gets a six-month prison sentence. In my humble opinion, the First Ammendment is a pile of wank, because it allows politically incorrect, bigoted people like Sterling, to get off offences like this relatively scot-free.

Blog Entries
    Taken from: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...-lifetime-ban/

Silver has broad authority under the NBA's constitution and bylaws to suspend and fine an owner for conduct detrimental to the NBA. According to Sliver, Sterling admitted it was his voice on the recording in which he made racist remarks. Even if the recording was unlawfully created under California law -- the recording would likely be unlawful if the conversation was confidential and Sterling didn't give consent -- Silver is authorized to punish Sterling based on the recording's impact on the league. It is safe to say that Sterling's comments, which elicited the rebuke of President Barack Obama, have deeply harmed the NBA and its relationship with players, sponsors and fans. Sterling seems to lack a viable argument that his conduct was not seriously detrimental to the NBA.

Sterling is also disadvantaged in challenging the suspension and fine because of how a court would treat such a challenge. A court would review Silver's decision under the deferential "arbitrary and capricious" standard of review. This standard would essentially require Sterling prove that the NBA -- and specifically Silver, acting as the NBA's ultimate arbiter -- failed to follow its own rules in how it investigated Sterling and punished him. For instance, if the NBA failed to authenticate the recording, concealed evidence or not requested a meeting with Sterling, Sterling might have sufficient grounds. Silver's remarks during the press conference, however, suggest all relevant rules and policies were followed. Absent Sterling proving there was a procedural defect of serious importance, Sterling likely has no viable appeal to either the fine or suspension.

As a practical effect, the suspension all but excommunicates Sterling from both his team and the NBA. He is forbidden from any contact with players, coaches and staff, and he is barred from attending games or practices. Sterling is also prohibited from participating in league activities. He is now, essentially, in NBA exile.

Blog Entries
    Taped with or without his permission, the NBA did not take Sterling to court. They acted on information that was made available to them and since his ban, fine and other punishments are not a legal issue, it doesn't matter. The fact that he hasn't been arrested (or, at least, not from what I have heard) is probably down to the fact that it may be a secret recording.

The NBA have not broken any laws and, quite frankly, do you not think they would have gone to such an extreme punishment without double checking that they can do so without liability?

Looking at the punishment, it does make me go "Hoof!" It is very much kicking shit out of the guy, but he deserves it. If you choose to be a racist, that is fine and it may just be an 'off the cuff' remark (Ron Atkinson, anyone?), but you say those things knowing that it is illegal and may land you in a lot of trouble.

Benny The Ball's Teddy is here to fuck you up...

...and then steal your girl!

#BennysTeddy

Yes, but I still think it's more of a moral thing. I mostly agree with what Mark Cuban said on the situation (which you can read here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1772540

His comments werent right, but I dont agree with him being forced to sell the team.
    He technically isn't being forced to sell the team. He just can't make money on them since he is banned, so in a sense he has to sell the team, but isn't forced to.

THE FINAL FIST BUMP!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hey Bear...Rehmix called... He wants his everything back.

Malcolm Cage
    "Primetime" AJ Dixon
    EWNCW ~ IWA ~ APW