Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dusty's tweeted that he's annoyed he's not higher on the list, yet he's above Jake Roberts and Bobby Heanan, can't think of many bigger compliments

Quote Originally Posted by TheJosephBanks View Post
    I love these discussions because despite it being basically opinion, WWE is always wrong apparently.

Cena is high on the list because when serious, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that can hold a candle to him on the main roster. People may not like him, but the man can talk his ass off.
    I just wish he were serious a lot more than he is

Rest in Peace Eva "Ezra"

^
    ah, Renee Young

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eyehatecena View Post
    From the official WWE Website
    according to lordofpains.com

15. Arn Anderson

14. Superstar Billy Graham
    13. Vince McMahon
    12. John Cena
    11. Jake Roberts
    10. Chris Jericho
    9. Hulk Hogan
    8. Bobby Heenan
    7. Mick Foley
    6. Paul Heyman
    5. Dusty Rhodes
    4. Steve Austin
    3. Roddy Piper
    2. The Rock
    1. Ric Flair

This is only the top 15- CM Punk came in at 16. While Cena can cut a good promo from time to time- how he is in the top 15 and not Punk idk. Of course this is coming from a WWE list
    Lists like this are highly subjective and quite clearly up for scrutiny but I think it should be said I can see a very valid case for why Cena is a better talker. Punk is a great talker but really has more of a niche audience. John Cena gets the entire crowd going with his promos, and it really doesn't matter who you are. For instance when I went to Raw in Seattle he cut a promo and he could clearly see the crowd was not behind him. It was a smark crowd but he used our hometown guy of Daniel Bryan to win us over and by the end of the promo, he had almost completely won over the crowd.

So yea... That's why I think WWE likely went with John Cena over CM Punk. Cena is able to garner more of a reaction on the microphone on a more consistent basis than Punk. At least that is the way I've always seen it. It's fair if you disagree with that opinion.
    #TeamGeeky

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Lists like this are highly subjective and quite clearly up for scrutiny but I think it should be said I can see a very valid case for why Cena is a better talker. Punk is a great talker but really has more of a niche audience. John Cena gets the entire crowd going with his promos, and it really doesn't matter who you are. For instance when I went to Raw in Seattle he cut a promo and he could clearly see the crowd was not behind him. It was a smark crowd but he used our hometown guy of Daniel Bryan to win us over and by the end of the promo, he had almost completely won over the crowd.

So yea... That's why I think WWE likely went with John Cena over CM Punk. Cena is able to garner more of a reaction on the microphone on a more consistent basis than Punk. At least that is the way I've always seen it. It's fair if you disagree with that opinion.
    Clarify on the bolded as to why you think that makes Punk not as good as Cena I don't know where you're coming form with that.

Also, I'd like to add that to me, Cena basically has two modes: SCREAMING AND YELLING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS and a somber, robotic tone that lacks natural inflection. CM Punk is more flexible when it comes to conveying emotion and that goes a long when you're trying to get your message across. With Cena, I feel like I'm watching a State of the Union address.

Blog Entries

Cena's higher than Punk (and several others that probably should be higher than him) because he's the face of the company. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Jelly View Post
    Clarify on the bolded as to why you think that makes Punk not as good as Cena I don't know where you're coming form with that.

Also, I'd like to add that to me, Cena basically has two modes: SCREAMING AND YELLING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS and a somber, robotic tone that lacks natural inflection. CM Punk is more flexible when it comes to conveying emotion and that goes a long when you're trying to get your message across. With Cena, I feel like I'm watching a State of the Union address.
    This.

I think Cena's great on the mic, but he's not as good as this list suggests. On the other hand, there's several others that are placed wrong in my opinion, but at the end of the day that's what it boils down to; one's opinion. And obviously not everyone has the same opinion. What a boring world we'd live in if that were the case.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Cena's higher than Punk (and several others that probably should be higher than him) because he's the face of the company. Simple as that.
    Yea, and he's the face of the company because he can connect better with the fans via his mic work...

A la my entire argumentation above.
    Quote Originally Posted by K2Jelly View Post

I don't think he's as predictable as you are making him out to be. Does he have his off night, sure... But even then he's still a pretty great mic worker.

To me that list is who can connect to the crowd best on the microphone. Is someone like Randy Savage on that list? Probably... Was he an eloquent speaker... no. The entire purpose of working a mic in the WWE is so the fans give a crap about you. If you are a great speaker but only get half the audience to care about you, you aren't doing as good as a job as someone who isn't quite as eloquent but gets more people to care.
    #TeamGeeky

Blog Entries
    Yea, and he's the face of the company because he can connect better with the fans via his mic work...

A la my entire argumentation above.
    That's by far not the only reason Cena's the face of the company.

Blog Entries
    That's by far not the only reason Cena's the face of the company.
    John Cena is the guy because the fans either love him or love to hate him. His mic work is a clear factor on that. I'd be ignorant to say it was the only factor but it's clearly a major factor and that is why the WWE has chosen to place him that high on their list of great promo cutters.
    #TeamGeeky

Blog Entries
    John Cena is the guy because the fans either love him or love to hate him. His mic work is a clear factor on that. I'd be ignorant to say it was the only factor but it's clearly a major factor and that is why the WWE has chosen to place him that high on their list of great promo cutters.
    Right, and in my opinion he shouldn't be that high on a list of 50 greatest promo cutters. IMO, there's people on that list that should be above him.
    Like I said, it all boils down to each and every single person's opinion at the end of the day, which is going to give you diversity.

Blog Entries
    Right, and in my opinion he shouldn't be that high on a list of 50 greatest promo cutters. IMO, there's people on that list that should be above him.
    Like I said, it all boils down to each and every single person's opinion at the end of the day, which is going to give you diversity.
    That's fair enough, I'm just saying claiming the only reason he's above Punk is solely because he's the face of the company is unwarranted.

Especially when you consider the fact that his mic word had a causation-like effect on him being the face of the company.
    #TeamGeeky