The "Default Wrestler"

As a long-time, yet casual, fan of wrestling, the WWE may not be interested or invested in my personal opinion. But, it should be. Over the past decade I have not spend one penny on WWE tickets, merchandise, or apparel. Within that same decade, I have spent thousands of dollars NBA, NFL, and NASCAR despite being nothing more than a casual fan.

The difference between the WWE and pro sports is evident. While all are entertainment, the WWE is the only one that isn't an actual competition. I watch the NBA for the competition. I watch WWE for the entertainment. There is no way I would watch the NBA if it was scripted. Watching Derrick Rose cut a promo would be agonizing.

The reason wrestling, to me, was so much more interesting in the 80's and 90's was because of the gimmicks: The larger-than-life characters, the over-the-top storylines, and general mystique. The NBA and NFL do not need these aspects to be successful or entertaining. The NBA doesn't need an enigmatic superstar such as the Macho Man. The NFL doesn't need a mysterious figure like Undertaker. They have actual competition to keep viewers engaged. The WWE needs these things yet, with rare exception, has abandoned them.

With the popularization of Reality TV, the WWE began to transition away from over-the-top angles to more "realistic" storlylines and characters. Watching WWE became akin to watching that stupid show with the tanning bed ho's on MTV. It was as if every character was interchangeable. Stale. Replaceable. It was the "Default Wrestler" in a different colored shirt every match.

The WWE has overcame a lack of creativity, originality, and mismanagement of characters because of a few superstars with great athleticism and mic skills. The WWE is obviously still very successful, but it is missing an opportunity to cash in on long time fans who are simply losing interest. It doesn't need to abandon its PG system to captivate a more adult audience. It simply has to be entertaining. It must abandon the "Reality Era" and go back to its roots.
    Abolish the State.

Blog Entries
    Welcome and cool that you arrive with a well thought through and coherent post.. but I don't agree with you

A) The NBA is more than competition, it has larger than life characters. I don't think Cleveland would've been that pissed if LeBron was just a good player. Kobe has been the guy you love to hate his whole career. Even a normal, devout dude like Kevin Durrant is interesting, because he is that devout in a world full bling. Larry Bird was the hick from French Lick. NBA is a lot about imaging: David Stern was stressed out during the period that Allen Iverson was the face of NBA. Hell, besides a(the) great(est) player, Michael Jordan was the biggest marketingproduct in the world. Be like Mike. (Gambling addiction Mike? No, American Dream Mike.)

Were the NBA five dudes with the charisma of Alberto Del Rio's versus five dudes with the charisma of Curtis Axel, nobody would watch it.

B) It's absoluteley normal that you tune out to wrestling. I'm enjoying wrestling on a meta-level at the moment, more interested to see how they push someone and when, than who. But I'm slowly tuning out too, I miss shows and don't rewatch even though I taped them, whilst I'm quite positive about the current WWE product and young wrestlers.

C) To young kids John Cena is every bit as much larger than life and awesome as Hulk Hogan was. I think we grown up wrestling fans tend to overlook that.
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

As a long-time, yet casual, fan of wrestling, the WWE may not be interested or invested in my personal opinion. But, it should be. Over the past decade I have not spend one penny on WWE tickets, merchandise, or apparel. Within that same decade, I have spent thousands of dollars NBA, NFL, and NASCAR despite being nothing more than a casual fan
    invest in daniel bryan. you have spent thousands of dollars on nba, nfl and nascar? like they need the money, should have spent good use on that yourself or maybe the homeless. nba cares? think not, much like a lot of corps. out there, they spend cheap labor on kids in china to make their shoes and appeal.

i either have spent money on wwe (ok, only tickets) but i buy my dvds at the flea market/thrift shops/pawn shops.

The difference between the WWE and pro sports is evident. While all are entertainment, the WWE is the only one that isn't an actual competition. I watch the NBA for the competition. I watch WWE for the entertainment. There is no way I would watch the NBA if it was scripted.
    how is nascar a sport and wrestling isnt? as for sports not being script, ok maybe not there are not as scripted but there have been rigged games. even ufc fights have been rigged. boxing as been rigged for years!

The reason wrestling, to me, was so much more interesting in the 80's and 90's was because of the gimmicks: The larger-than-life characters, the over-the-top storylines, and general mystique
    wrestling has changed over the years and decades. which isnt a bad thing. people now dont want to see big muscle guys, they want to see smaller guys or guys they can get behind (daniel bryan). over the top storylines isnt needed but with the wwe network you can go watch it all over again. i think kane/cena and ryder did fine with its over the top storyline. its no springer tv 14, but a water down pg version of springer.

With the popularization of Reality TV, the WWE began to transition away from over-the-top angles to more "realistic" storlylines and characters. Watching WWE became akin to watching that stupid show with the tanning bed ho's on MTV. It was as if every character was interchangeable. Stale. Replaceable. It was the "Default Wrestler" in a different colored shirt every match
    "reality tv shows" are fake and just lazy. there really needs to be thinking or creative writing...oh, i get it now with wwe creative writing now and how their shows are now. speaking for "default wrestler" are you sure you are not thinking of the indys? kidding. yes, wwe has taken the approach of doing more real life styles but i wouldnt compare it to "reality tv". now those shows are over the top. i bet their lives were done the way they are on tv. all the fights and stuff, they would be more in and out of jail.

i think wwe had evolved and while the 80s were fun with the gimmicks and we saw, it was also cartoony in a looney tone way. the 90s were all about extreme and wwe went that way. wwe has been i say current over the years and the way we see the current gen is dull and boring. i think wwe is still enjoyable and watchable. it all depends on who you favor or enjoy watching in the ring, with it be wrestling (db, ziggler) or even gimmicks (wyatt's). with the popularity of the internet and social networking and wwe has went that way. that is what the current stay is. whatever is next to become POP, be aware for wwe market that way.