View Poll Results: What was the better horror movie?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silence of the Lambs

4 80.00%
  • Ringu

1 20.00%

What was the better horror movie, Silence of the Lambs or Ringu?

Hello horror fans, the EWN database was down last night so sorry that this wasn’t posted until today but there was nothing I could do about it. Anyway, this match-up features one of my all time favorite foreign films, and one of my all time favorite films in general. The Silence of the Lambs and Ringu were both very different films in nature, one relying on gritty realism and brilliant movie-making to both encapsulate and terrify the viewer, where the other relied much more on subtle, atmospheric portrayals of the super-natural. Both films were terrific no doubt about that, but which one was the better horror flick? Well, that’s what were gonna find out. Before that though, check out these cool clips I found off of youtube.

Here’s a great behind the scenes of the Silence of the Lambs. Highly recommend if you’re a fan of the film:

Here is the scene from Ringu that I find to be most effective. Sorry it’s kinda long, but especially in context the scene if very frightening:

My opinion:

Better movie: Silence of the Lambs. I’m just gonna come out and say it, any one of the 15 other movies would be hard pressed to beat Silence of the Lambs in this category. Some detractors may say that Foster’s accent isn’t accurate; something that may be the case as I don’t have a keen ear for that type of thing, but other than that it’s almost a perfect movie. Ringu is a great movie, one of the better ones in this tournament in fact, but it’s still not too particularly close to Silence of the Lambs in my book.

Scarier movie: Ringu. This category was awfully close for me, as both films were really scary in different ways. I almost picked Silence of the Lambs because that movie seems to get to me more and more every time I watch it, whereas Ringu’s presence in my mind has slightly decreased with multiple viewings. However, I stick by my pick based on the fact that Ringu obviously has worked on my subconscious because it’s one of the very few films that literally gave me nightmares after watching it.

Impact on pop-culture/society/other movies: Silence of the Lambs. This one was also very close, as both actually did make a pretty big impact. Ringu had a big splash on the world of film because it was the movie that originally spawned the recent J-horror remakes that exposed Western civilization to Asian horror. Silence of the Lambs won this category though because it made people change their minds about the horror genre in general. It was the only horror movie to win all 5 major Oscars (unless you include One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest as a horror), and it introduced the world to Hannible Lector as we know him today.

Gore: Silence of the Lambs. If there’s one thing that Ringu wasn’t, it was gory. There was no blood at all in fact, and other than a couple images of dead bodies, nothing too much of note at all really for this category. Silence of the Lambs wasn’t exactly a splatter film either, but the jail break scene alone wins this category in a landslide.

Overall: Silence of the Lambs. Ringu is a very good movie that I felt could have advanced until at least round 2 of this tournament if it had been facing another film, but for me Silence of the Lambs was just too much for it to handle. Imo, Ringu= very very good, Silence of the Lambs=elite.

But what do you think?
    WWE resigned Punk, and everything I've said has come true on these things, so WWE, keep Punk a badass face. He will become a legend if you do.

JBW is so good, even the most cynical member of the IWC couldn't complain about it. Check out or most recent shows here!

And join in on the discussion here. We will welcome you with open arms. Please join now by PMing me or WWTNA Mark!

Horror movie tournament final: The Shining vs. Silence of the Lambs vs. Halloween...coming very soon.

Blog Entries
    Hannibal Lecter is one smart cannibal so Silence of the Lambs gets my vote!

Don't really know why this hasn't gotten too much attention. I hope the tourny hasn't lost its steam. Anyway you guys got a while for this match-up to close so get your opinions in if you want!!
    WWE resigned Punk, and everything I've said has come true on these things, so WWE, keep Punk a badass face. He will become a legend if you do.

JBW is so good, even the most cynical member of the IWC couldn't complain about it. Check out or most recent shows here!

And join in on the discussion here. We will welcome you with open arms. Please join now by PMing me or WWTNA Mark!

Horror movie tournament final: The Shining vs. Silence of the Lambs vs. Halloween...coming very soon.

Poll is officially closed guys, and Silence takes this one by a score of 4-1. Not much else to be said, I don't know why this hasn't got quite as much action as the other threads. Maybe it's chalked up to Ringu being a foreign film. Whatever the case, congrats to Silence for advancing and thanks everyone for your votes!

I tried to get in on it last night but it was closed, this was around 6 or 7pm pacific time... My choice wouldve been the winner anyways, Hannibal is too classic of a character.. I watched a documentary on the origin of Silence of the Lambs on Webtv, it spoke of profilers and each character in the movie was based one or two people in real life (words from the writer himself).. Like Hannibal Lecter, his main persona was based off Ted Bundy for instance.. The real intelligent likeable guy that you wouldnt believe he did those things or you just didnt want to believe and so forth..

MARVEL > EVERYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by samoan619 View Post
    I tried to get in on it last night but it was closed, this was around 6 or 7pm pacific time... My choice wouldve been the winner anyways, Hannibal is too classic of a character.. I watched a documentary on the origin of Silence of the Lambs on Webtv, it spoke of profilers and each character in the movie was based one or two people in real life (words from the writer himself).. Like Hannibal Lecter, his main persona was based off Ted Bundy for instance.. The real intelligent likeable guy that you wouldnt believe he did those things or you just didnt want to believe and so forth..
    Oh man I would've loved to have seen that. That kind of thing always intrests me no matter the movie, but since Silence of the Lambs was one of my favorites I might just have to look for it.

Another match-up will be posted by 12 pm tonight (ET) and the final one will be posted very late tonight. Just in case your interested, be on the look out for them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samoan619 View Post
    Just like Leatherface in TCM, Norman Bates, and Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs, they are based a little upon Ed Gein! If not familiar with him, here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

Blog Entries
    Silence of the Lambs is a classic movie. Probably one of my favorite horror movies of all time.
    "Bring a knife to a fist fight, a gun to a knife fight, and a M134 to anything else."