Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 383
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    They didn't just make Fury black, they made him Samuel. L. Jackson!!!! How cool is that!

    Shifting gears. The Boys?
    Ive heard some things about the Boys, haven't really got a chance to give Jim Lee's Wildstorm books much time yet (thats Garth Ennis though huh? I remember you mentioning Preacher earlier in this thread too).. You gotta let me know what theyre all about (The Boys and Preacher).. Actually if you can open the door to their world for me, I will be spending some $$ on it ..



    MARVEL > EVERYTHING

  2. #102
    Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,192
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by samoan619 View Post
    Ive heard some things about the Boys, haven't really got a chance to give Jim Lee's Wildstorm books much time yet (thats Garth Ennis though huh? I remember you mentioning Preacher earlier in this thread too).. You gotta let me know what theyre all about (The Boys and Preacher).. Actually if you can open the door to their world for me, I will be spending some $$ on it ..
    I've only read the first two volumes of Preacher so my knowledge on it is limited, I actually have the third and it's on my to read list, but to tell the truth I'm kind of waiting till I have a couple more before I read it so I can bulldoze my way through it!

    I have to say this, growing up, comics were always my preferred form entertainment as it provided just the right amount of information (words and pics lol) and Left the rest to the imagination. And, sadly, now that I'm older, superhero's (while still remaining one of my favourite pastimes) are not enough, but the need to read a comic is still there. Enter Preacher and The Boys.

    I don't want to come off like a Garth Ennis Fanboy (I am) but his style of writing, when unencumbered by PG limitations, is up there with the best! His characters are all instantly relatable, distinguishable and accessible, and more to the point human. Not to mention he's created some bad mutha fuckas, who rank high on my bad mutha fuckas list. Some funny fuckas too.

    Right.... The Boys: Remember the graffiti in The Watchmen that said "who watches the watchmen?". Well this series answers that question with a smack to the chops that tears half your face off!!

    "The Boys watch the Watchmen"

    In this world, that Garth has created, the Super Heroes have been given their powers from a serum of some type (memory fails me). In this world they are celebrities and are super over with the masses, and all their adventures are published in comics. The problem is while these so called heroes are just as powerful as they are the their comics, they are really just arsehole and clueless wankers who's 'adventures' have been greatly exaggerated. Being the type of characters they truly are, they often get out of hand, well, thats when the Boys come out to play.....
    The Boys: I have to start with the star of the show, Wee Hughie... Firstly, His likeness is based on Simon Pegg (who writes the foreword of volume one), and Pegg is a big comic fan so he really got a kick out of it. Secondly, He's Scottish, and he's a wimp of a man who's whose girlfriend is accidentally killed during a Super Fight in the most horrible way....
    Billy Butcher: he's the governor of the team and he is the one that brings a vengeful Hughie in to the group. Butcher is an English guy with a bulldog, and he's a mean Bastich with the wit and lyrics to back it up..
    Mothers Milk: Butchers best friend and all round tough guy. His back story is crazy and, without spoiling anything, weird!
    The Frenchman: As his name suggests he's a French guy. He's a man of few words but he is one of the most violent of the group, in fact, he's only second to...
    The Female: Young Asian girl, who appears to be innocent, but is really a trained assassin capable of outrageously sickening acts of violence. Despite this, The Frenchman is very protective of her (see, there's some depth to this shit lol)

    The dialogue is extremely witty, very humorous, to the point and often times, shocking. The art work (Darrick Robertson) is simple but effective, and it borders on comic looking art and the real body type comics that have become so popular. There is Violence, Sex and Violence galore. This is not for the kids lol! No punches are pulled in The Boys and it's one of the better reads out there. Trust me

    Buy the first volume now!

    Preacher: As I said I haven't read much, but all I know is that the Main Character Jesse Custer is cool as fuck, and his Irish vampire buddy Cassidy is the best vampire, like, in forever!
    The main plot involves Heaven and Hell, and is something along the lines of this.... One day the Devil fucked an Angel (sorry if this offends anyone) and the angel bore child/demon, well, Heaven had decided to keep this thing locked up somewhere... But it's escaped, and Heaven and Hell are going loopy about it, and Jesse's probably gonna have to be the one to stop it (I guess)... That's all I got for that, except it's the same type of Ennis dialogue that makes The Boys so great. Must. Read.
    Last edited by Kashdinero; 03-28-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.

     

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    I've only read the first two volumes of Preacher so my knowledge on it is limited, I actually have the third and it's on my to read list, but to tell the truth I'm kind of waiting till I have a couple more before I read it so I can bulldoze my way through it!

    I have to say this, growing up, comics were always my preferred form entertainment as it provided just the right amount of information (words and pics lol) and Left the rest to the imagination. And, sadly, now that I'm older, superhero's (while still remaining one of my favourite pastimes) are not enough, but the need to read a comic is still there. Enter Preacher and The Boys.

    I don't want to come off like a Garth Ennis Fanboy (I am) but his style of writing, when unencumbered by PG limitations, is up there with the best! His characters are all instantly relatable, distinguishable and accessible, and more to the point human. Not to mention he's created some bad mutha fuckas, who rank high on my bad mutha fuckas list. Some funny fuckas too.

    Right.... The Boys: Remember the graffiti in The Watchmen that said "who watches the watchmen?". Well this series answers that question with a smack to the chops that tears half your face off!!

    "The Boys watch the Watchmen"

    In this world, that Garth has created, the Super Heroes have been given their powers from a serum of some type (memory fails me). In this world they are celebrities and are super over with the masses, and all their adventures are published in comics. The problem is while these so called heroes are just as powerful as they are the their comics, they are really just arsehole and clueless wankers who's 'adventures' have been greatly exaggerated. Being the type of characters they truly are, they often get out of hand, well, thats when the Boys come out to play.....
    The Boys: I have to start with the star of the show, Wee Hughie... Firstly, His likeness is based on Simon Pegg (who writes the foreword of volume one), and Pegg is a big comic fan so he really got a kick out of it. Secondly, He's Scottish, and he's a wimp of a man who's whose girlfriend is accidentally killed during a Super Fight in the most horrible way....
    Billy Butcher: he's the governor of the team and he is the one that brings a vengeful Hughie in to the group. Butcher is an English guy with a bulldog, and he's a mean Bastich with the wit and lyrics to back it up..
    Mothers Milk: Butchers best friend and all round tough guy. His back story is crazy and, without spoiling anything, weird!
    The Frenchman: As his name suggests he's a French guy. He's a man of few words but he is one of the most violent of the group, in fact, he's only second to...
    The Female: Young Asian girl, who appears to be innocent, but is really a trained assassin capable of outrageously sickening acts of violence. Despite this, The Frenchman is very protective of her (see, there's some depth to this shit lol)

    The dialogue is extremely witty, very humorous, to the point and often times, shocking. The art work (Darrick Robertson) is simple but effective, and it borders on comic looking art and the real body type comics that have become so popular. There is Violence, Sex and Violence galore. This is not for the kids lol! No punches are pulled in The Boys and it's one of the better reads out there. Trust me

    Buy the first volume now!

    Preacher: As I said I haven't read much, but all I know is that the Main Character Jesse Custer is cool as fuck, and his Irish vampire buddy Cassidy is the best vampire, like, in forever!
    The main plot involves Heaven and Hell, and is something along the lines of this.... One day the Devil fucked an Angel (sorry if this offends anyone) and the angel bore child/demon, well, Heaven had decided to keep this thing locked up somewhere... But it's escaped, and Heaven and Hell are going loopy about it, and Jesse's probably gonna have to be the one to stop it (I guess)... That's all I got for that, except it's the same type of Ennis dialogue that makes The Boys so great. Must. Read.
    Yeah Im definitely gonna go looking for Preacher and the Boys... Even with the brief synopsis of Preacher it reels me in because I like those Heaven and Hell plotlines (Me and the wife just saw the 9th Gate with Johnny Depp literally like 15 minutes ago).. So I'll definitely be grabbing that, and the Boys too, that sounds like it could be a dope ass movie.. And I can already tell that the Frenchman and the Female will be my two favorite characters of the bunch.. So I will be looking for these volumes within the next two weeks, Im gonna grab a copy of Preacher and the Boys to start me off, and I'll start off slowly with a volume each, but I'll be hitting you with details and of course a thank you for more great material to add in my trivial mind lol...



    MARVEL > EVERYTHING

  4. #104
    Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,192
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by samoan619 View Post
    Yeah Im definitely gonna go looking for Preacher and the Boys... Even with the brief synopsis of Preacher it reels me in because I like those Heaven and Hell plotlines (Me and the wife just saw the 9th Gate with Johnny Depp literally like 15 minutes ago).. So I'll definitely be grabbing that, and the Boys too, that sounds like it could be a dope ass movie.. And I can already tell that the Frenchman and the Female will be my two favorite characters of the bunch.. So I will be looking for these volumes within the next two weeks, Im gonna grab a copy of Preacher and the Boys to start me off, and I'll start off slowly with a volume each, but I'll be hitting you with details and of course a thank you for more great material to add in my trivial mind lol...
    The Boys on the silver screen would be gold!

    Dude, I've seen on a lot of sites that the X-Men (stories and characters) in the 90's are not fondly remembered, is this true for you? I freaking loved the 90's X-Men! The noughties X-Men are somewhat better though, but hey, thats progression for ya!
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.

     

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    The Boys on the silver screen would be gold!

    Dude, I've seen on a lot of sites that the X-Men (stories and characters) in the 90's are not fondly remembered, is this true for you? I freaking loved the 90's X-Men! The noughties X-Men are somewhat better though, but hey, thats progression for ya!
    Lol, I think the whole thing about people disliking it then was because there were so many editions to collect (original, variant prints, foil covers, holograph covers, etc) and not just the X-Men but Marvel and comics in general at that time, it shyed away a lot of die hard fans that just wanted the meat and potatoes rather than buying multiple editions of the same issue (and it seemed like every issue had those multiple versions, which can be very costly in the long run for collectors).. Me, ive always had an open mind to the X-men, and I can truly say there was a time where they were wearing thin to me in the 90s but I stuck to them and they ended up not letting me down, and then when the new millenia hit, it just made everything more satisfying because all the stories from the 90s became a rich tapestry to create what we have now(and being able to say you were there to witness it all, rather than hear say, makes it all worth the long bumpy ride) ..



    MARVEL > EVERYTHING

  6. #106
    Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,192
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by samoan619 View Post
    Lol, I think the whole thing about people disliking it then was because there were so many editions to collect (original, variant prints, foil covers, holograph covers, etc) and not just the X-Men but Marvel and comics in general at that time, it shyed away a lot of die hard fans that just wanted the meat and potatoes rather than buying multiple editions of the same issue (and it seemed like every issue had those multiple versions, which can be very costly in the long run for collectors).. Me, ive always had an open mind to the X-men, and I can truly say there was a time where they were wearing thin to me in the 90s but I stuck to them and they ended up not letting me down, and then when the new millenia hit, it just made everything more satisfying because all the stories from the 90s became a rich tapestry to create what we have now(and being able to say you were there to witness it all, rather than hear say, makes it all worth the long bumpy ride) ..
    Well said bruv! That is why I have to read the past before I continue with the present. It's a mission and a half, but I'll get there... Eventually.

    I caught some of that vibe about the multiple cover, ect, thing, but I didn't care about all that, one shots, and the like, were great, as they always had something of worth inside the cover. At the time though, it was quite hard to keep up with the X-Universe, and I think I got lost somewhere around Onslaught then, like, immediately after they hit us with Operation Zero Tollerance, and that's where my old comic collection stopped. Lol. I've since re-read the Onslaught saga (in perfect order, via uncannyxmen.net) and have just finished Operation Zero Tolerance, so the next couple years worth are (mostly) the unknown to me. Also, I think it was after I read the Grant Morrison run, that I decided to "go back in time" as it felt wrong (while still being the right thing to do) to basically kill an era. Plus, I just had to read it all for my self, rather than read a recap on Wikipedia, or the like.

    Speaking of my future reading, I was planning on reading Deadpool (the first on going series, with art by Ed McGuiness), but it the TPB's only go up to issue seventeen, and each issue after that was, like, five quid! I'll wait to see if there will be more TPB's methinks.

    Spawn or Batman?

    Edit: I stopped reading Spawn around issue 75 and when I went back to it it was a completely different world. I met and spoke to David Hine and he was telling me about his run on Spawn, but he kind ooutput me off by the way he was explaining it ( he used a few big words, and I got lost). He did tell me that Todd let him do whatever he wanted. How cool/lucky is that!
    Last edited by Kashdinero; 03-29-2011 at 04:42 AM.
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.

     

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    Well said bruv! That is why I have to read the past before I continue with the present. It's a mission and a half, but I'll get there... Eventually.

    I caught some of that vibe about the multiple cover, ect, thing, but I didn't care about all that, one shots, and the like, were great, as they always had something of worth inside the cover. At the time though, it was quite hard to keep up with the X-Universe, and I think I got lost somewhere around Onslaught then, like, immediately after they hit us with Operation Zero Tollerance, and that's where my old comic collection stopped. Lol. I've since re-read the Onslaught saga (in perfect order, via uncannyxmen.net) and have just finished Operation Zero Tolerance, so the next couple years worth are (mostly) the unknown to me. Also, I think it was after I read the Grant Morrison run, that I decided to "go back in time" as it felt wrong (while still being the right thing to do) to basically kill an era. Plus, I just had to read it all for my self, rather than read a recap on Wikipedia, or the like.

    Speaking of my future reading, I was planning on reading Deadpool (the first on going series, with art by Ed McGuiness), but it the TPB's only go up to issue seventeen, and each issue after that was, like, five quid! I'll wait to see if there will be more TPB's methinks.

    Spawn or Batman?

    Edit: I stopped reading Spawn around issue 75 and when I went back to it it was a completely different world. I met and spoke to David Hine and he was telling me about his run on Spawn, but he kind ooutput me off by the way he was explaining it ( he used a few big words, and I got lost). He did tell me that Todd let him do whatever he wanted. How cool/lucky is that!
    Ill pick Batman > Spawn, Im more knowledgable of the Dark Knight and his world than Spawn.. Spawn had me in the beginning though, but at one point I couldnt stick to it because I was too into the mass Marvel comics coming out then.. I like the Violator and the fat clown, the art had to some of the darkest ive seen yet, with those evil clown like faces (it drew me in).. But at that point it was Marvel or nothing with me (with the exception of Batman, Lobo, and some DC graphic novels).. And on the TBP's ive heard you save 20-40% at Barnes and Noble's website..



    MARVEL > EVERYTHING

  8. #108
    My favorite current run is Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and after what Fantomex did to Apocalypse, he's slowly but surely gaining ranks on my favorite character list. I'm concerned about Remender's take on Venom, particularly because I didn't really enjoy #1 too much. My favorite character at the time in the Marvel U is probably Nova, especially after the Thanos Imperative. That shit was the best arc I've read in comics in a LOOOONG time. I'm not too much of an X-Men fan though, and I hate Captain America immensely. I'm still disappointed that Bullseye got taken out in Shadowland but I'm sure we'll see him soon. OH! And another one of my favorites is Parker Robbins, his MAX run was pretty damn good. I wish I would have read that BEFORE Siege so I would have cared about the character, his dynamic with his dark side and his family is fresh and bad ass. Bendis, btw, is super hit and miss, and from what I hear, his Moonknight idea sounds a bit on the retarded side.


    ..Step aside Christian, the real #1 Contender is A-Rodg..

  9. #109
    Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,192
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by samoan619 View Post
    Ill pick Batman > Spawn, Im more knowledgable of the Dark Knight and his world than Spawn.. Spawn had me in the beginning though, but at one point I couldnt stick to it because I was too into the mass Marvel comics coming out then.. I like the Violator and the fat clown, the art had to some of the darkest ive seen yet, with those evil clown like faces (it drew me in).. But at that point it was Marvel or nothing with me (with the exception of Batman, Lobo, and some DC graphic novels).. And on the TBP's ive heard you save 20-40% at Barnes and Noble's website..
    I would of probably gone with Batman, but back in the mid nineties I would have said Spawn in a big way! Greg Cappullo's artwork was in a league of it's own, and was the perfect replacement for Todd. These days I'm all about the Dark Knight, and my Bats TPB "2 read list" is extensive. Miller's Year One was so good, as was Loeb and Sales The Long Halloween. For the moment I'm totally marking out for the early Batman stories!

    Thoughts on the Marvel Vs DC mini series, y'know the one where the fans had to vote for the winners of Lobo Vs Wolverine, Bats Vs Cap, Supes Vs Hulk, WW Vs Storm and Super Clone Vs Spider Clone (?).... At the time it was a big fucking deal!!!
    Last edited by Kashdinero; 03-30-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.

     

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    I would of probably gone with Batman, but back in the mid nineties I would have said Spawn in a big way! Greg Cappullo's artwork was in a league of it's own, and was the perfect replacement for Todd. These days I'm all about the Dark Knight, and my Bats TPB "2 read list" is extensive. Miller's Year One was so good, as was Loeb and Sales The Long Halloween. For the moment I'm totally marking out for the early Batman stories!

    Thoughts on the Marvel Vs DC mini series, y'know the one where the fans had to vote for the winners of Lobo Vs Wolverine, Bats Vs Cap, Supes Vs Hulk, WW Vs Storm and Super Clone Vs Spider Clone (?).... At the time it was a big fucking deal!!!
    Yeah it was a big fucking deal, I didnt vote, but I did pick Wolverine vs Lobo, Batman vs Captain America, Thor vs Shazam(I will always call him Shazam lol), And Superman vs Hulk... And I was happy with the outcomes of what I purchased, even though imma marvel mark, I could respect how they ended it..



    MARVEL > EVERYTHING

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.