Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Greatest Professional Wrestler of All Time

Now, I have way too much free time on my hands, and I tend to spend a decent amount of this free time in the wrestling world. Along with watching pro wrestling regularly, me and a friend of mine discuss it regularly as well. One topic we have a tendency to discuss is who is the G.O.A.T of wrestling. We often try to list a top 10 or so, but due to the fact there are only two of us, cannot agree on a list. This is why I've come up with a tournament style game to decide who the IWC considers the G.O.A.T in this industry.

Now, I'm sure this is a topic regularly discussed, and has probably been on these boards regularly, and if this is the 100th time that something like this has been attempted and you guys are sick of it, feel free to close this immediately. I checked the boards and have not seen anything like this, so if there is already something like this going on, again close this and lead me to it so I can participate as well.

If not, then the rules of the tournament will be as followed

• There will be a bracket consisting of 32 superstars
    • Every week I will post 2 superstars that are matched up and you will vote on who you feel is the superior superstar, and feel free to discuss, and debate as well
    • This will go on until there is one man remaining, and this man will be crowned the IWC's Greatest Professional Wrestler of All Time

Pretty simple format, but the fun part is narrowing it down to just 32 people to put into said bracket. That's where this thread comes in handy. I would like you guys to help me fill these brackets by simply following these rules
    • Make a list of your top 20 superstars of all time. The list does not have to be ordered, it merely has to consist of 20 people
    • There is no federation restrictions, so feel free to add superstars from WWE, WCW, ECW, NWA, NJPW, AAA, or any other federations you may follow, just make sure it's your top 20 of wrestling's history.
    • Base your list off of whatever it is you feel makes a superstar great. It doesn't necessarily have to be a list of the top 20 in ring talents, or promo cutters, or influence on the business, but merely YOUR top 20 in wrestling history
    • After about a week or so, I will tally up the superstars mentioned, and the 32 superstar mentioned the most, will be the 32 featured in our tournament

Please feel free to give any ideas on how to make this tournament operate as smoothly as possible, as well as any criticisms on the current format. A thank you in advance for participating, now lets crown the IWC's G.O.A.T of professional wrestling!!!!!!

Bret Hart will win, I don't know why you are bothering with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick BoA View Post
    Something for fun, and I agree he'll be a strong contender, but we won't know unless we try.

Kurt Angle better win this, he's a damn Olympic gold medalist!

In no order:

Stone Cold Steve Austin
    Bret Hart
    Andre the Giant
    Shawn Micheals
    Randy Savage
    Ricky Steamboat
    Triple H
    The Undertaker
    Mr.Perfect
    Rick Rude
    Jake Roberts
    Terry Funk
    Mick Foly
    CM Punk
    Chris Jericho
    Sting
    The Rock
    Roddy Piper
    John Cena
    Kurt Angle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick BoA View Post
    Wrong. We did 2 tournaments before on this site; greatest all round of all time and greatest wrestler of all time. All rounder was won by Shawn Michaels, wrestler was won by Kurt Angle. Both won by quite a margin if I recall.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

The problems with these kinds of 'tournaments' on sites like this are:

1: Most don't know much about wrestling outside of North America
    2: Most don't know wrestling pre 80's

So it's really the Greatest North American Professional Wrestler from 1980 - Present.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to suggest a change to your system. You ask for a top 20, I'd suggest doing a top 10 or 5. Not including Shawn Michaels or SCSA or Hart in a top 20 is just plain strange, so it will skew the results. A top 5 will provide some diversity, although Michaels will probably still be nr 1.

Cool idea though, creating a list like this never bores me.
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    The problems with these kinds of 'tournaments' on sites like this are:

1: Most don't know much about wrestling outside of North America
    2: Most don't know wrestling pre 80's

So it's really the Greatest North American Professional Wrestler from 1980 - Present.
    There's barely any available coverage for wrestling outside of North America (you can even specify that down to 'outside of WWE, WWF, WCW, ECW or TNA' (you could maybe throw ROH in there too)).
    And unless the younger memebers read up on history, then you can't expect them to know anythin pre-80's. And the number of 'older members' on sites like this are so minimal. Always will be.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Nice thread but this is where most fans go wrong these guys are not wrestlers, cm punk is not a "wrestler" hes an entertainer they ALL are. Because if they were wrestlers Kurt angle would be undefeated, Dan severn would of whooped austins ass in 30 seconds so really it should be who is the best entertainer. For that the best of all time is Hulk Hogan. Dominated for 15 of the last 30 years easily no one else has done this. He will always hold the records for Attendance, merchandise and viewership. I know vince says Austin break all of those well thats b.s maybe if you compare Austin's best year to Hulks yes he may win but overall I dont think so.