Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Greatest & Your Favorite Storylines Of All Time

As I responded to a blog that I read on this site a little earlier, I began to think about what would be considered to be the greatest storyline of all time, & what was my favorite storyline of all time.

The greatest storyline of all time is a no-brainer, at least to me: The creation of the N.W.O. From the "Outsiders" showing up on Monday Nitro to the reveal of Hogan as the 3rd member, there was no more riveting, what's-gonna-happen-next television in any area or genre at that time.

My favorite storyline of all time branches from the N.W.O. storyline, & it's the Sting-N.W.O. saga. Sting was & is still my favorite wrestler of all time. To see him transition into the "crow" Sting & run with that storyline for a year without talking was the best thing ever, to me.

I'm very curious & excited to see you guys' opinions....
    I am Rebel Lion. Come, now....I shall set you free!!

I agree the entire NWO storyline was the best storyline of all time! While I completely enjoyed the edge of your seat, what is going to happen next, I have a different favorite from a few years earlier. It took place in WCW, before the days of the Monday Night Wars, before internet "spoilers" and before "writers" scripted everything from gimmicks, outcomes and lines(mic). The storyline developed out of one of the worst tragedies to happen to Pro Wrestling...the car crash and ultimate end of a career for a future NWA World Champion...Magnum TA.

The set-up was the 4 Horsemen running all over the VA/NC area...Flair World Champ, Blanchard (lost US Title to Nikita Koloff), Arn & Ole Tag Champs. The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes was the #1 contender for the World Title. Magnum TA was tagging in 2, 3 & 4 man tags with Dusty and the Road Warriors battling the Horsemen and the Russians (Ivan & Nikita), leading up to the "GREAT AMERICAN BASH". At every turn(week to week), Dusty, Warriors and TA were left beaten and down due to the dirtiest player in the game and the numbers game. Dusty kept coming up short against Flair, usually because of Horsemen interference of Flair's use of a Gordon Soley coined "international object". Magnum was battling Nikita for the US Title, all over the Mid-Atlantic area in the Best of 7 series...different types of matches. The first to win the 4th match would become US Champ. Matches included, Russian Chains, Indian Strap, 1st Blood , Cage and I Quit formats.

Dusty lost a match to Flair and was told he would not get another shot...TA was down to the 7th match at the "BASH". Dusty went off on Flair, Arn and Tully Blanchard at various times, prompting JJ Dillon to have a cage match...Dusty Rhodes & Magnum TA vs any 2 members of the Horsemen at the BASH. If Dusty wins, he would get one more shot. Then tragedy hit the day before the Super Bowl. Magnum TA crashed his car on an icy road in Greensboro. At the time, no one knew for sure how long Magnum would be out or the extent of his career ending injuries.

As the main event at the "BASH" was to begin...the cage was lowered into place...JJ Dillon came to the ring, just as he did the night before on World Championship Wrestling and stated Dusty no longer had a partner, stating no one wanted to be his partner and they'd be crazy to cross the Horsemen. Then Tully, Arn and Ole entered the ring, followed by the playing of Wrestling's National Anthem, Space Oddesey and Flair's spectacle entrance. Now 5 men are inside the caged ring. Dusty now starts to make his way to the ring...all business, no dancing, no shaking hands with fans, no charismatic smile, no jacket, robe or shirt. He gets to the top of the steps, looks back and enters the ring. JJ says, he knows Dusty isn't stupid enough to face them by himself and suggests Dusty leaves and forgets about this match and the World Title. Dusty grabs his crotch and flips the bird to Flair, which pisses Flair off. The Horsemen surround Dusty, when suddenly their is a commotion in the aisle. The crowd is reacting in a mixed manner and parts the way for Nikita Koloff(Magnums nemesis). The Horsemen attack Dusty as Nikita climbs through the cage door. Flair and Arn begin to laugh and celebrate as Nikita posses, tongue out, Russian Sickle loaded, glaring at Dusty. Flair encourages Nikita to take Dusty out. Dusty breaks from the Horsemen and is standing between Nikita and the Horsemen...looking back and forth. The crowd is eerily silent. Nikita charges across the ring, right past Dusty and clothes-lined the shit out of Flair, then Tully and Arn. Looking stunned, Dusty joins the attack on the Horsemen. Dusty pinned JJ Dillon, gaining another title shot. With the win...Dusty got up in the line of Nikita's stare. Dusty looked worried, now in the ring with 6 heels. Dusty extended his hand to Nikita...who grabbed his hand and pulled him in face-to-face and then hugged Dusty, raising his arm in the air. That night, life circumstances re-aligned priorities and alliances. It changed the program direction, gave rise to the stature of the young Russian star and launched the team of the "Super Powers" (Dusty/Nikita). I had goose bumps when Nikita attacked the Horsemen and just now, as I relived it again.
    Last edited by 5 Finger Death Punch; 09-25-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    I still remember the cover of PWI with Nikita - "I cry for Magnum TA!"

My favorite storyline of all time was the Austin-Triple-H feud. Austin was hit by a car at SS '99. He was sidelined for many months. The buildup was amazing. Triple-H and The Rock had been Austin's archrivals leading up to the collision. Austin went on a rampage upon returning investigating who hit him. It was finally revealed that Rikishi hit Austin with the car to help The Rock with his career and that it was masterminded by Triple-H. He defeated Rikishi in a steel cage on Raw and dropped Triple-H from 30 feet in the air at SS '00. They finally ended the feud in a brutal cage match at NWO '01. After WM '01, where Austin turned heel and allied himself with Mr. McMahon, Austin and Triple-H teamed up to dominate the WWF.

I started watching wrestling from 2002 and one of the best rivalries-storyline going around was Shawn Micheals vs HHH.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Finger Death Punch View Post
    I agree the entire NWO storyline was the best storyline of all time! While I completely enjoyed the edge of your seat, what is going to happen next, I have a different favorite from a few years earlier. It took place in WCW, before the days of the Monday Night Wars, before internet "spoilers" and before "writers" scripted everything from gimmicks, outcomes and lines(mic). The storyline developed out of one of the worst tragedies to happen to Pro Wrestling...the car crash and ultimate end of a career for a future NWA World Champion...Magnum TA.

The set-up was the 4 Horsemen running all over the VA/NC area...Flair World Champ, Blanchard (lost US Title to Nikita Koloff), Arn & Ole Tag Champs. The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes was the #1 contender for the World Title. Magnum TA was tagging in 2, 3 & 4 man tags with Dusty and the Road Warriors battling the Horsemen and the Russians (Ivan & Nikita), leading up to the "GREAT AMERICAN BASH". At every turn(week to week), Dusty, Warriors and TA were left beaten and down due to the dirtiest player in the game and the numbers game. Dusty kept coming up short against Flair, usually because of Horsemen interference of Flair's use of a Gordon Soley coined "international object". Magnum was battling Nikita for the US Title, all over the Mid-Atlantic area in the Best of 7 series...different types of matches. The first to win the 4th match would become US Champ. Matches included, Russian Chains, Indian Strap, 1st Blood , Cage and I Quit formats.

Dusty lost a match to Flair and was told he would not get another shot...TA was down to the 7th match at the "BASH". Dusty went off on Flair, Arn and Tully Blanchard at various times, prompting JJ Dillon to have a cage match...Dusty Rhodes & Magnum TA vs any 2 members of the Horsemen at the BASH. If Dusty wins, he would get one more shot. Then tragedy hit the day before the Super Bowl. Magnum TA crashed his car on an icy road in Greensboro. At the time, no one knew for sure how long Magnum would be out or the extent of his career ending injuries.

As the main event at the "BASH" was to begin...the cage was lowered into place...JJ Dillon came to the ring, just as he did the night before on World Championship Wrestling and stated Dusty no longer had a partner, stating no one wanted to be his partner and they'd be crazy to cross the Horsemen. Then Tully, Arn and Ole entered the ring, followed by the playing of Wrestling's National Anthem, Space Oddesey and Flair's spectacle entrance. Now 5 men are inside the caged ring. Dusty now starts to make his way to the ring...all business, no dancing, no shaking hands with fans, no charismatic smile, no jacket, robe or shirt. He gets to the top of the steps, looks back and enters the ring. JJ says, he knows Dusty isn't stupid enough to face them by himself and suggests Dusty leaves and forgets about this match and the World Title. Dusty grabs his crotch and flips the bird to Flair, which pisses Flair off. The Horsemen surround Dusty, when suddenly their is a commotion in the aisle. The crowd is reacting in a mixed manner and parts the way for Nikita Koloff(Magnums nemesis). The Horsemen attack Dusty as Nikita climbs through the cage door. Flair and Arn begin to laugh and celebrate as Nikita posses, tongue out, Russian Sickle loaded, glaring at Dusty. Flair encourages Nikita to take Dusty out. Dusty breaks from the Horsemen and is standing between Nikita and the Horsemen...looking back and forth. The crowd is eerily silent. Nikita charges across the ring, right past Dusty and clothes-lined the shit out of Flair, then Tully and Arn. Looking stunned, Dusty joins the attack on the Horsemen. Dusty pinned JJ Dillon, gaining another title shot. With the win...Dusty got up in the line of Nikita's stare. Dusty looked worried, now in the ring with 6 heels. Dusty extended his hand to Nikita...who grabbed his hand and pulled him in face-to-face and then hugged Dusty, raising his arm in the air. That night, life circumstances re-aligned priorities and alliances. It changed the program direction, gave rise to the stature of the young Russian star and launched the team of the "Super Powers" (Dusty/Nikita). I had goose bumps when Nikita attacked the Horsemen and just now, as I relived it again.
    You might want to go back and recheck some of your facts. Tully lost the US title to TA in the I quit match at Starcade. The best of seven series was not seven different types of matches.

Murdock, Flair, Dibiase - Mid-South

Been watching since '94....am currently re-watching the whole Invasion angle in '01....getting pretty stoked for it to end though, because even though that was probably the last HUGE thing to happen in wrestling, i remember a year or two later the ONLY reason i watched RAW was for the Booker T/Goldust combo! For me they were just two of the most entertaining wrestlers at the time in the E, and somehow to unlikely people, made one super funny tag team, and all their segments had me in stiches! Anyone have any thoughts or memories on that angle?

EDIT: This angle/Storyline, isn't my favorite...by a long shot....for that i'd have to do some deep meditation BUT it does stick out to me right now and will always be a memorable one to me. I was around 12 at the time, so one could only imagine why haha
    Last edited by Cam Pain; 10-02-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    i really enjoyed the rock vs the mcmahon-helmsley regime. jericho, dudleys, hardys, too cool, kane, taker etc all had some nice run ins with the regime as well. i still remember fondly of the rock & earl hebner match vs hhh xpac n road dogg w/ vince, shane, stephanie, tori, patterson n brisco in dxs corner.

Hollywood Rock vs Hogan was hilarious to me and just plain ol disrespectful.

HHH vs Hbk fued was great to see

Bret Hart vs stone cold rivalry

Rock vs HHH rivalry attitude era

theres more..... *passes out *
    Last edited by chunkkynutzzz; 01-01-2014 at 11:39 PM.

MARK DIMENSION
    *EWNCW INTERNATIONAL CHAMPION
    NOVEMBER.27,2011-March.6,2012

*EwncW EVOLUTION CHAMPION
    11.12.2012-5.28.2013

THE NEW ASSAULT PROGRAM
    *BWA INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONS
    9.4.2011-Forever

*BWA/EwncW INTERNET CHAMPIONS
    5.5.2012-9.26.2012

*EwncW CHAMPIONS
    4.7.2013-8.25.2013