View Poll Results: What issue needs to be addressed first?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spike TV network

6 21.43%
  • Hulk Hogan's Character

7 25.00%
  • Dixie Carter as Head

11 39.29%
  • Other

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TNA's issues

TNA's issues

We all know that TNA has them. Issues with storylines, issues with pushes, issues with talents... TNA has issues in many regards. I love TNA and I am one who is quick to defend them. They are the counter to WWE that I need. I enjoy the roster they have and the matches that they put out. Some complain by screwy finishes to matches while others express their dislike for the halted pushes to certain stars. Those to me are personal preferences to how someone would book a show; this thread is more towards the idea of three major issues that affect the company on a bigger level than what I would like to see as a fan. Let's take a look at the 3 issues I am going to bring into question.

Spike TV - Many people are attributing Spike to be the reason as to why we are seeing Rampage and Ortiz on Impact. Spike has been the home for TNA since 2005. I thought that this move was for sure a step up from Fox Sports. The show felt a bit "bigger" being on this network. Fast forward 8 years and it seems as if the Spike/TNA union has been beneficial, to a point. I like the fact that Spike seems to be "invested" in the TNA product, but are they affecting too many decisions that TNA is making? Are they failing to provide enough financial backing, advertising, or screen time to the company? Are they using TNA as a stepping stone in order to attempt a recreation in the success they once had with UFC by requesting talent from Bellator to be focused on one of their more "reliable" (yes, I use that loosely) shows on their network? Personally, I think what TNA is doing to cater to the requests of Spike will help in negotiations, but is it affecting the TNA product in such a negative way that it warrants the attempted movement to a different network? I don't think so.

Hulk Hogan - Let's face it; when it comes to name recognition in the wrestling business, you can't get much higher than Hulk Hogan. Coming into this, I saw it as a viable alliance between TNA and this talent because I figured Bischoff (who I think benefits TNA when off screen) was attached. What I wasn't wanting was Hogan returning to an in-ring talent or as the main focus of the TNA product; which I was disappointed by on both levels. I think Hogan is a viable talent as a GM of the show, but it still seems TNA focus more time on Hogan than they should. I think this is due to the amount of $$ they spend on Hogan. How could they not feature one (if not the) higher paid talents on the show as much as possible. Hogan still gets the reaction from fans in the arenas because, let's face it, it's Hulk Hogan. But does his name recognition warrant the funds spent on him? Does focusing the show around this higher paid talent result in increased viewership for the show? Could TNA even get rid of Hogan or would Spike TV executive cut Dixie off at the knees if she chose to let him go? What is it that Hogan is truly providing TNA?

Dixie Carter - She's the head of the company. Ultimately, success or failure should fall upon her shoulders, correct? Honestly, if TNA closed today I think Dixie would be 1 of 3 who were noted as the reasoning behind TNA's failure and not take the sole responsibility that would follow other "Head of the Company" in that situation. Dixie is a genuinely nice person, if unbearable on the screen. She seems to do her best to show her appreciation towards Impact fans and interact with them as much as possible. She has shown interest to the point of crediting the fan demands as the reasons for moving TNA to a live program and even moving out of the Impact Zone. But let's face it, if it's a good decision or bad, it comes down to Dixie being the one to sign off on it. Was bringing in Hogan and Bischoff a genuinely beneficial business decision if the ratings are where they currently sit? Was moving the Impact show on the road financially the smartest move for her company? Is her catering to the requests of Spike TV going to be worth the risk of turning off her core audience who has remained long enough to keep their numbers steady? Is she doing everything possible to bring in new fans to the show?

Personally, I think Hogan is the top issue with TNA at the moment. Not in his role, because I can buy Hogan as the GM. But in what it takes to keep Hogan a pivotal character on TNA programming. Hogan is a character whose salary might be used toward new or younger talent. His time required to be used on Impact programming to justify his existence on the roster could be spent on in-ring time, or for storylines outside of just the major ones the show is focusing on. Hogan is a great talent for who he is and the name he brings, but in the role he currently fills, I don't think he warrants the price tag and time needed on screen... Especially when they could use someone such as Sting to fill a similar role without the need to spend as much time of 2 hours per week show focused on him.

But that's just my opinion, what about you guys? If you could change one these issues, which would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

The problem starts at the top--Dixie Carter doesn't and has never had any idea what she's doing. Not a single business decision she's made has done anything to increase TNA's standing in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    We all know that TNA has them. Issues with storylines, issues with pushes, issues with talents... TNA has issues in many regards. I love TNA and I am one who is quick to defend them. They are the counter to WWE that I need. I enjoy the roster they have and the matches that they put out. Some complain by screwy finishes to matches while others express their dislike for the halted pushes to certain stars. Those to me are personal preferences to how someone would book a show; this thread is more towards the idea of three major issues that affect the company on a bigger level than what I would like to see as a fan. Let's take a look at the 3 issues I am going to bring into question.

Spike TV - Many people are attributing Spike to be the reason as to why we are seeing Rampage and Ortiz on Impact. Spike has been the home for TNA since 2005. I thought that this move was for sure a step up from Fox Sports. The show felt a bit "bigger" being on this network. Fast forward 8 years and it seems as if the Spike/TNA union has been beneficial, to a point. I like the fact that Spike seems to be "invested" in the TNA product, but are they affecting too many decisions that TNA is making? Are they failing to provide enough financial backing, advertising, or screen time to the company? Are they using TNA as a stepping stone in order to attempt a recreation in the success they once had with UFC by requesting talent from Bellator to be focused on one of their more "reliable" (yes, I use that loosely) shows on their network? Personally, I think what TNA is doing to cater to the requests of Spike will help in negotiations, but is it affecting the TNA product in such a negative way that it warrants the attempted movement to a different network? I don't think so.

Hulk Hogan - Let's face it; when it comes to name recognition in the wrestling business, you can't get much higher than Hulk Hogan. Coming into this, I saw it as a viable alliance between TNA and this talent because I figured Bischoff (who I think benefits TNA when off screen) was attached. What I wasn't wanting was Hogan returning to an in-ring talent or as the main focus of the TNA product; which I was disappointed by on both levels. I think Hogan is a viable talent as a GM of the show, but it still seems TNA focus more time on Hogan than they should. I think this is due to the amount of $$ they spend on Hogan. How could they not feature one (if not the) higher paid talents on the show as much as possible. Hogan still gets the reaction from fans in the arenas because, let's face it, it's Hulk Hogan. But does his name recognition warrant the funds spent on him? Does focusing the show around this higher paid talent result in increased viewership for the show? Could TNA even get rid of Hogan or would Spike TV executive cut Dixie off at the knees if she chose to let him go? What is it that Hogan is truly providing TNA?

Dixie Carter - She's the head of the company. Ultimately, success or failure should fall upon her shoulders, correct? Honestly, if TNA closed today I think Dixie would be 1 of 3 who were noted as the reasoning behind TNA's failure and not take the sole responsibility that would follow other "Head of the Company" in that situation. Dixie is a genuinely nice person, if unbearable on the screen. She seems to do her best to show her appreciation towards Impact fans and interact with them as much as possible. She has shown interest to the point of crediting the fan demands as the reasons for moving TNA to a live program and even moving out of the Impact Zone. But let's face it, if it's a good decision or bad, it comes down to Dixie being the one to sign off on it. Was bringing in Hogan and Bischoff a genuinely beneficial business decision if the ratings are where they currently sit? Was moving the Impact show on the road financially the smartest move for her company? Is her catering to the requests of Spike TV going to be worth the risk of turning off her core audience who has remained long enough to keep their numbers steady? Is she doing everything possible to bring in new fans to the show?

Personally, I think Hogan is the top issue with TNA at the moment. Not in his role, because I can buy Hogan as the GM. But in what it takes to keep Hogan a pivotal character on TNA programming. Hogan is a character whose salary might be used toward new or younger talent. His time required to be used on Impact programming to justify his existence on the roster could be spent on in-ring time, or for storylines outside of just the major ones the show is focusing on. Hogan is a great talent for who he is and the name he brings, but in the role he currently fills, I don't think he warrants the price tag and time needed on screen... Especially when they could use someone such as Sting to fill a similar role without the need to spend as much time of 2 hours per week show focused on him.

But that's just my opinion, what about you guys? If you could change one these issues, which would it be?
    Good Post. This would've made a nice blog if there was a little more beef added to it. I agree with Hogan being an issue and I agree with Dixie being an issue. She's head of the company but is obviously just following the lead of Bischoff and/or Hogan.

Spike TV is a different story. Spike TV is a terrible station these days. I've blogged about this before. If you compare the programming on other cable networks with the programming on Spike TV, it's no wonder TNA's ratings typically are low. If they were to move to the Fox Network and be broadcast on FX or something, that would work so much better. Look at the different options to promote the product. Look at the popular shows on FX like Sons of Anarchy and American Horror Story. Plus, they do UFC...a much better branded MMA promotion than Bellator. I would love if they could cut a deal with Fox, and get the hell out of Viacom. And I'd bet ratings would double easily. Do more people see commercials while watching. Ink, Bar Rescue, and 1000 Ways to Die? Or Sons of Anarchy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and The Bridge? Just saying. And being that FX does Nascar, College Football, and UFC, wrestling would actually be a decent fit.

Quote Originally Posted by thesubverse View Post
    The problem starts at the top--Dixie Carter doesn't and has never had any idea what she's doing. Not a single business decision she's made has done anything to increase TNA's standing in the world.
    Well thats not exactly true, its a much more recognisable brand than what it was 10 years ago, due to a number of business decisions. Some worked better than others admittedly, but you cant say that she hasnt done anything right.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior View Post
    That's Awesome...I think you just stomped the nuts of the entire IWC with this comment. A thing of beauty.

Blog Entries
    I'm not going to lie, it a little of all mixed together and then some....

Spike- will say they have faith in TNA as it a top 5 show on the network... Plus they are actively involve, but not as active as they should be.... IMO Spike should be pushing and helping get TNA new programming even if it on another (sister network) MTV or CMT or VH1...
    2 hours do very little to help the show overall a week... If they have a extra hour or 2 a week it could do wonders to promote Impact..

Hulk Hogan- think he came and served his purpose but it didn't bring what it needed to bring.... I say him and Bully Ray one on one loser leave TNA at Bound for Glory... Send Hogan out of the company... Besides it will save the company say 1 or 2 million dollars, they could use to pay 2 or 3 talented mid-card talent.

Dixie Carter- her biggest problem I see as much as she is the boss of the 2nd biggest Wrestling company in the world or at least USA.. She to much of a fan as well... as most guys who come in from outside the business is.. so I'll say she needs to hire someone with some wrestling knowledge to assist her with day to day operations of the company...

other- mis-management seems to be the biggest problem... or guys not doing their job Bruce Prichard letted several contracts go by and expire with out any strong negotiations... Other then I guess Bobby Roode... Could go on and on with the blame game but there so many one can name and say and blame..
    We all judge others even if it isn't our place to judge, but supposedly at the end we are all judged by one!!!
    Wrestling, women and money who could ask for more???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HCollins-TNA1 View Post
    I'm not going to lie, it a little of all mixed together and then some....

Spike- will say they have faith in TNA as it a top 5 show on the network... Plus they are actively involve, but not as active as they should be.... IMO Spike should be pushing and helping get TNA new programming even if it on another (sister network) MTV or CMT or VH1...
    2 hours do very little to help the show overall a week... If they have a extra hour or 2 a week it could do wonders to promote Impact..

Hulk Hogan- think he came and served his purpose but it didn't bring what it needed to bring.... I say him and Bully Ray one on one loser leave TNA at Bound for Glory... Send Hogan out of the company... Besides it will save the company say 1 or 2 million dollars, they could use to pay 2 or 3 talented mid-card talent.

Dixie Carter- her biggest problem I see as much as she is the boss of the 2nd biggest Wrestling company in the world or at least USA.. She to much of a fan as well... as most guys who come in from outside the business is.. so I'll say she needs to hire someone with some wrestling knowledge to assist her with day to day operations of the company...

other- mis-management seems to be the biggest problem... or guys not doing their job Bruce Prichard letted several contracts go by and expire with out any strong negotiations... Other then I guess Bobby Roode... Could go on and on with the blame game but there so many one can name and say and blame..
    ^^^This^^^ HCollins-TNA1 I believe hit the nail on the head with his post. There are ultimately too many problems with TNA right now. It's hard to choose just one when there are so many factors involved. It's because of ALL of these factors listed above that the TNA talent is getting frustrated - and rightfully so. Dixie couldn't run a screwdriver, (although she probably can drink them well), let alone a company. At least by herself that she can't. Hogan is all about Hogan and getting the biggest slice of the pie for doing little to nothing - always has been, Spike TV don't really seem like they want any programming to last - least of all pro-wrestling from any promotion.

I just hope TNA can last long enough to make the changes the really need to survive and thrive. One of the biggest reasons pro-wrestling isn't as successful today is because of the lack of viable competition between promotions. That's why we get silly storylines and stupid finishes - everyone just half-asses their jobs now since there isn't too many people out there that can replace them.

I might of got sidetracked a little but it all works hand in hand. Bottom line is at this point if you change one thing, you have to change it all as they are all connected, especially where TNA is concerned.

UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

Combination of a couple of things really to much time for Hogan, Dixie's decisions, etc. A lot of problems i think.

i dont blame it on spike. spike gets more rating a week then amc. amc has 6 hit tv shows that get high ratings. why do they get high ratings? word of mouth.

it dixie who is to blame. she makes stupid moves.

I think it's a combination of Spike and Dixie, Spike has too much say in how it goes down and Dixie doesn't have a backbone.

I voted against Hogan. Right now I don't think his star is drawing the attention it needs to be, he's expensive and a novelty that can be more easily replaced than Spike (which I don't think is a problem) or Dixie.

Divas to believe in.