Normal Member

Daniel Bryan: The REAL ultimate underdog?

Ok keeping it short and sweet;
    Although Rey Mysterio is by far the smallest competitor in the WWE to have gone after a world title,
    I think in the way things have turned out in the past few year Daniel Bryan has by far surpassed Rey on that status
    and should be considered the real ultimate underdog.

Could it be possible, that Bryan's two biggest losses are what have propelled him to being at the stage he is today?

Daniel Bryan v Sheamus - WM 28
    I can't remember I think it was 18 seconds that it took for him to lose the title. Then overnight Bryan became single-handedly one of the most over guys in the company.

Daniel Bryan v John Cena [Randy cashing in the MITB briefcase shortly after the match and subsequent pedigree]
    The pure BS of the whole situation increased the massive support for bryan, further establishing his overness in the company

So let me ask you guys
    Could it be said that even though Daniel Bryan is head and shoulders above most of the wrestlers on the roster, literally could put you in hundreds of submission holds, is technically sound and is definitely a deserved champion;
    That Daniel Bryan's Losses are the major reason for his popularity? That his much frowned upon size is the reason we are so drawn to him?

Thoughts

[On a side note, they mention how small daniel bryan is standing at 5 ft 10, when Big E Langston stands at only 5 ft 11]

Big E is built like a brick shit house though. Although DB has bulked up massively. I agree what pretty much everything.
    "If the devil can't defeat me, cancer doesn't stand a chance in hell! Pray for sick children who face this horrible disease 'cause The Snake will be just fine."
    Get well soon Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

Jessie J has nothing on her

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beatfighter3000 View Post
    Ok keeping it short and sweet;
    Although Rey Mysterio is by far the smallest competitor in the WWE to have gone after a world title,
    I think in the way things have turned out in the past few year Daniel Bryan has by far surpassed Rey on that status
    and should be considered the real ultimate underdog.

Could it be possible, that Bryan's two biggest losses are what have propelled him to being at the stage he is today?

Daniel Bryan v Sheamus - WM 28
    I can't remember I think it was 18 seconds that it took for him to lose the title. Then overnight Bryan became single-handedly one of the most over guys in the company.

Daniel Bryan v John Cena [Randy cashing in the MITB briefcase shortly after the match and subsequent pedigree]
    The pure BS of the whole situation increased the massive support for bryan, further establishing his overness in the company

So let me ask you guys
    Could it be said that even though Daniel Bryan is head and shoulders above most of the wrestlers on the roster, literally could put you in hundreds of submission holds, is technically sound and is definitely a deserved champion;
    That Daniel Bryan's Losses are the major reason for his popularity? That his much frowned upon size is the reason we are so drawn to him?

Thoughts

[On a side note, they mention how small daniel bryan is standing at 5 ft 10, when Big E Langston stands at only 5 ft 11]
    Big E Langston is also almost 300 pounds and a power lifter...

But you are onto something about his over-ness... Part of the reason he got so over is because WWE booked him to lose. Fans knew he was arguably the best wrestler on the roster and he deserved better than to be beaten down in 18 seconds. Fans wanted him to succeed and WWE allowed him to at the end of the day.

They booked him in such a manner that when John Cena was "choosing" his opponent for summerslam the crowd exploded in yes chants... That's because everyone thought he deserved the push because WWE allowed us to see Daniel Bryan struggle and then eventually succeed by beating great superstars. I mean, he made Randy Orton tap to close raw a couple months back right? That's kind of a big deal.

I disagree with you comparing him to Rey though... Totally different styles and Daniel Bryan doesn't seem to be over because of his size per say... but because of how WWE booked him and his in ring ability. Rey is relevant because he's a high flyer... Bryan is a submission machine.
    #BeJelly

Daniel Bryans face makes me angry.

Honestly the thing...LOL @ that dog gif!... anyway, the thing that got Bryan over was "Shut up AJ". I think people were intrigued by him on NXT. The WWE really dropped the ball by not having a true Bryan v Michael Cole feud. That would have been an outstanding start to his career. A program that should have ended in a match would have been great.

After that, he was popular with the IWC, but still very bland and not so interesting to the majority of the fan base. When he won the title from Show, I dont think a lot of people bought into him, even after his feuds with Show and Henry. What started to get him over and culminated at the Miami Mania was his relationship with AJ. He started getting huge pops when ever he would simply say, "Shut up AJ". Losing in 18 seconds to Sheamus looked like a massive slap in the face at the time. The fans turned on Sheamus for a good 5 months because of it. However, Bryan instantly became a darling regardless of his heel status. That post Wrestlemania RAW dark match in Miami was a fantastic way of kicking off his mega star popularity.

So I would say, "Shut up AJ", followed by losing at WM in 18 seconds, the subsequent RAW and then yes, the screw job by HHH has all worked in DB's favor. I highly doubt the WWE knew having him lose in 18 seconds would lead to this level of popularity, but they do know having a guy that the McMahons (HHH) are against is a great way to build a star.

I think we can all but guarantee "no more title matches" after Night of Champions, followed up by a Royal Rumble win and getting the Title at WM30 will ensure he's about as popular as any wrestler since Stone Cold & the Rock. Plus, you know there will be a HHH v Daniel Bryan PPV match on the way to Wrestlemania.

Also, anyone think the WWE will eventually do a HHH, Daniel Bryan, HBK program? That is since Bryan is an HBK protege, HHH's BFF, etc?

I respect Daniel Bryan. He is indeed the ultimate underdog as he wrestled at high school gyms and wrestled for only a meal ticket home. His story is ultimately the rising up of a successful ROH star to now former WWE talent. I am not a fanboy of superstars such as Ambose and Bryan but I respect the hell out of them for not giving up their dream of becoming WWE Superstars and hopefully multiple time World Champions on Smackdown and Raw.

" The Only people who try and tell you that you can't do something, are the people who have failed."

Rankings of WWE Prediction's
    WWE Hell in the Cell: 6th Place-164 PTS

If Bryan is eventually going to be the face of the WWE, in which we're all hoping for, he needs to be booked correctly. i.e. He needs to be booked as the guy who could take 300+ pound monsters and just turn them inside out.
    At the end of the day Bryan should be booked as the guy who can make you tap, regardless of who you are.

No doubt about it DB has benefited massively from those two losses.