Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cena

Cena

Alot of people in the IWC seem to dislike Cena. That's fine. I actually have no problem with the man. Even though he is the face of the company he is still but a small piece of the WWE. Him getting main event slots or getting countless title runs is not whats wrong with the WWE. I am not even saying there is anything wrong with the WWE. But if there is its not because Cena is champion again or because he is in alot of main events.

There are dozens of other performers on the show. So even if Cena is boring or unentertaining etc etc. That doesn't ruin an entire show. Its like watching a good movie and you get one scene that is bad. That doesn't make the entire movie garbage.

So why do people think Cena taking time off will make the show so much better. And if you dislike him that much how about you just mute the tv while he is on or change the channel and boom problem solved Raw just got that much better.

I was actually surprised by his promo last night, first time Cena has said something and it has drawn me in, he had genuine emotion in his eyes, I just think he is stale.
    "If the devil can't defeat me, cancer doesn't stand a chance in hell! Pray for sick children who face this horrible disease 'cause The Snake will be just fine."
    Get well soon Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

Jessie J has nothing on her

Quote Originally Posted by TNA 'The very best' View Post
    I was actually surprised by his promo last night, first time Cena has said something and it has drawn me in, he had genuine emotion in his eyes, I just think he is stale.
    Yeah that was a very good promo by Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by browne81 View Post
    Yeah that was a very good promo by Cena.
    If reports are true and Cena takes time off I think it would be for the best, peoples problem is that he is always in the main event title or not, give DB and Orton a chance to hold the company and let Cena go and rest. When he is back dont chuck him straight into the title scene give him a good feud with Curtis Axel or Sandow or even a heel Kofi move him off the title scene and feud with some mid carders to elevate them, hell even give him an IC title run and bring some prestige back to it with a good feud.
    "If the devil can't defeat me, cancer doesn't stand a chance in hell! Pray for sick children who face this horrible disease 'cause The Snake will be just fine."

If reports are true and Cena takes time off I think it would be for the best, peoples problem is that he is always in the main event title or not, give DB and Orton a chance to hold the company and let Cena go and rest. When he is back dont chuck him straight into the title scene give him a good feud with Curtis Axel or Sandow or even a heel Kofi move him off the title scene and feud with some mid carders to elevate them, hell even give him an IC title run and bring some prestige back to it with a good feud.
    Cena isn't really holding the company. He is just the face. Its not like he is taking up all the tv time. If DB or whoever isn't in the mainevent so what. DB etc etc can still put on a great match and not be in the mainevent.

He is holding the the company in the sense they rely on him for all the big feuds. Its doesnt matter about having good matches, he is in the majority of air time when it comes to big promos or main events, let someone else take over while he rests.

I have been wanting to write a blog about him but just haven't had the time so I'll summarize what my thoughts about Cena is. Cena is a good role model. He is this generation's Hulk Hogan. The problem that I think is relevant to everybody, including the WWE, is that Cena, like Hogan, is only relevant in the main event going against the title. He doesn't have what it takes to be in the midcard or to feud with somebody over something other than the championship. His character is not developed that way, just like Hogan. Right now, CM Punk is having a feud with Paul Heyman and Brock Lesnar. He had a feud with Jericho. He's had countless other feuds that didn't have to do with the WWE title. Randy Orton is the same way. So is Daniel Bryan, Kane, etc. These other main event stars can feud about something else other than the title and make the feud worth watching. Cena is always mentioning the championship in his promos when he's not in the immediate title picture. Cena lacks that like Hogan does. Any other wrestler can win another title and make the title relevant. Cena can't win any other title because he doesn't know how to be something other than the main focus. If Cena wasn't in the title picture, he would be irrelevant.

Seriously? Look, I'm no Cena basher. I definitely respect everything he has done, but he has been stale for awhile. As for his promo....it was the exact same cookie cutter John Cena promo he does anytime he faces someone who is over with the fans more. The same promo done for his matches with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Punk, and now Bryan. He does the same schtick each time. Talks about how he has overcome the odds before and will again, how he is here for the fans,how they have the option to cheer or boo him, how he still has loyal fans and will always be there for them. Also, while doing so he is using his "Angry Cena" voice and has taken his shirt off. Every time. Wash, rinse, repeat. The words may not be EXACT but they are basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodStone612 View Post
    Seriously? Look, I'm no Cena basher. I definitely respect everything he has done, but he has been stale for awhile. As for his promo....it was the exact same cookie cutter John Cena promo he does anytime he faces someone who is over with the fans more. The same promo done for his matches with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Punk, and now Bryan. He does the same schtick each time. Talks about how he has overcome the odds before and will again, how he is here for the fans,how they have the option to cheer or boo him, how he still has loyal fans and will always be there for them. Also, while doing so he is using his "Angry Cena" voice and has taken his shirt off. Every time. Wash, rinse, repeat. The words may not be EXACT but they are basically the same.

I was referring more to the point where he was talking about granting a kid a wish earlier in the day, it looked like it actually got to him amd unless you have ever been in that situation you wont know what it's like, from that point yes it was a classic Cena promo but it just felt like he had more emotion in it, which I felt was from earlier in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by browne81 View Post
    Alot of people in the IWC seem to dislike Cena. That's fine. I actually have no problem with the man. Even though he is the face of the company he is still but a small piece of the WWE. Him getting main event slots or getting countless title runs is not whats wrong with the WWE. I am not even saying there is anything wrong with the WWE. But if there is its not because Cena is champion again or because he is in alot of main events.

There are dozens of other performers on the show. So even if Cena is boring or unentertaining etc etc. That doesn't ruin an entire show. Its like watching a good movie and you get one scene that is bad. That doesn't make the entire movie garbage.

So why do people think Cena taking time off will make the show so much better. And if you dislike him that much how about you just mute the tv while he is on or change the channel and boom problem solved Raw just got that much better.

The problem with Champy Pants is that too often he ends the show. It's the climax of a show that leaves the lasting feeling for the audience. That's why bands save their best/most popular songs for the end of the set, why actors work harder to make the third act of a play great. If the guy in the main event is going through the motions, yet again, over coming the odds, yet again, punching the mat and not his opponent during the five knuckle shuffle, yet again, it gets boring. When the audience gets bored by your main event they go home feeling like the show wasn't as good.
    By mixing things up, making things less predictable and utilising different wrestlers WWE could a) be more entertaining, b) allow superstars to rest and recover (seriously, have you seen Cena's elbow?!), c) allow other talent a chance to shine. That's why he needs time off, that's why Sheamus' injury is a blessing in disguise and why I think Punk and Del Rio need time off too. It's not about changing channel when it's boring, WWE should be doing everything they can to keep as many viewers interested as they can. At the moment they aren't.

When Cena cut his promo on Monday, and failed to understand what "parody" means, he, yet again, tried to position himself as the underdog after saying, "I've stood in for a dozen years...in front of the biggest names this business has to offer...everyone of those matches, Jack, I did it while I was holding this." [raises title] "Please, please think I'm a joke, please think I'm a parody, please think I'm going to waltz into Los Angeles on Sunday, just a shell of a man..." Every damn time, it's the same. "you're good, I'm better, I want you to think I'm shit." and every time he wins it's "I fought, I struggled, I overcame the odds FOR YOU!" Cm Punk said it right, he's a dynasty. But rather than embrace that he insists on this faux man-of-the-people attitude, the guy lives in a mansion with a lift and a walk in closet and a pool with a frickin' water slide! (yes, I'm watching Total Divas) and he makes out that every night he goes out there and puts his body on the line for each and everyone one of the WWE universe, not because he loves the money, not because he enjoys the fame, not because quite frankly he'll never get paid this much doing anything else, but because you believe in him. Because poor little Timmy with cancer will die if he doesn't get a meet and greet with John Cena (how's about paying for some private treatment for Timmy, John?), because the millions and millions of Hulkamaniacs give him the power to overcome those guys who are better in the ring, better on the mic, probably just as able to grant wishes and sell T-shirts but aren't "The Man."

I watched that promo on Monday, and again just now, and it makes me angry. That same symbol of success through mediocrity that we've been seeing since Hogan is still there shitting on the little guy who deserves a lot more respect, a lot more money and much better status. The boys club that is the WWE, that made stars of HHH, Hogan, Cena and Warrior, needs to be broken up. Great wrestlers should be champions not great corporate "yes" men. If Cena took time off it would at least give someone else the chance to reach that brass ring, to take the spotlight for a moment and scream "For Christ's sake we can all do what he does given a chance!" That would make wrestling, as a whole not just WWE, better.

Divas to believe in.