Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

A-Ry on Commentary

So this past SmackDown I guess Alex Riley was filling in for JBL....Thoughts on how he did? Personally, I thought the dude was a breath of fresh air and was pretty enthusiastic about the whole thing. His strength has always been his charisma and talking IMO. He called the action well and although I'd prefer to see him in-ring, I think WWE has given up on him in that regard and I wouldn't mind seeing him a bit more often on the commentary desk.

One negative though...he didn't constantly say 'We fight on Friday nights!' JBL style.

Chris Diamond
    IWA Endurance Champion
    3/12/13-

Antonio Rizzo
    Chaos Roster member

Head of IWA Chaos

Wade Barrett
    Former Member of the United Kingdom stable

Daniel Bryan
    ????
    ????

Blog Entries
    I actually really enjoyed Alex Riley on commentary. It makes me question why he's not a bigger name in WWE already, he has some great mic skills.
    #BeJelly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I actually really enjoyed Alex Riley on commentary. It makes me question why he's not a bigger name in WWE already, he has some great mic skills.
    They REALLY screwed up on him big time back in 2011 in my view. However, he was also dodgy in ring to be honest.

Chris Diamond
    IWA Endurance Champion
    3/12/13-

Antonio Rizzo
    Chaos Roster member

Head of IWA Chaos

Wade Barrett

Daniel Bryan
    ????
    ????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NiallF96 View Post
    They REALLY screwed up on him big time back in 2011 in my view. However, he was also dodgy in ring to be honest.
    I mean, it's not like ring work is the number one priority of WWE anyway anymore. He's not terrible in the ring, though he's not great.
    #BeJelly

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I mean, it's not like ring work is the number one priority of WWE anyway anymore. He's not terrible in the ring, though he's not great.
    He had a couple of significant botches, botched spot in The Rumble being the worst I believe. As for his commentary he harped on about developmental too much and I found it hard to tell his voice from Cole's, besides that no complaints.

Divas to believe in.

Blog Entries
    He did well and was fresh. Definitely potential. But I thought he mentioned his own (not very substantial) in-ring career a bit too much. JBL can do that, because he's a fifteen year vet with a few titles under his belt, but A-Ry does not have enough experience to not become repetitive quick.
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

I like JBL, I really do, but theirs some things he says over and over (and over) that bother the hell out of me. That being said, Alex Riley was okay on commentary, he was nice and enthusiastic, but some of the stories he was telling were completely irrelevant to the whole situation, that was the only complaint I had.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Piper View Post
    I like JBL, I really do, but theirs some things he says over and over (and over) that bother the hell out of me. That being said, Alex Riley was okay on commentary, he was nice and enthusiastic, but some of the stories he was telling were completely irrelevant to the whole situation, that was the only complaint I had.
    'We Fight on Friday Nights!'

And then on the Raw after Mania when Show attacked Orton and Sheamus, I'm pretty sure it was four times he said 'They wanted to fight him? Fight him now!'

Chris Diamond
    IWA Endurance Champion
    3/12/13-

Antonio Rizzo
    Chaos Roster member

Head of IWA Chaos

Wade Barrett

Daniel Bryan
    ????
    ????

I'd rather have heard Matt Striker. Oops....

Blog Entries
    I'd rather have had Matt Striker at the table and A-Ry in the ring.

I don't think this signals the end of Riley's in-ring career. If the stories are true and Cena is STILL pissed at him, then Cena's a real jerk. Say whatever nice things you want about him, but if he's the real reason that Riley's not being used on tv in a more prominent role, then he's an absolute nut-sack of a human being.

Riley's solid in the ring, great on the mic, has a lot of charisma, the crowd love him, and he has the look of a very marketable wrestler.
    I've not heard him at the commentary table yet, but I have no doubt that he's great there too be honest.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!