Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What Do People Think of Wade Barrett?

Now before I begin I must say that of the current roster Barrett is one of my favorites, and no, that doesn't mean that I fanboy over him. I just believe that he's an all-around talented wrestler.

I love that I can say that Barrett is a three time IC champ (why'd Miz take it for less than a day?). It gives Wade some serious credibility that he held a belt three times and for a decent amount of time for each reign.

It's easy to forget that Barrett was the leader of the Nexus since we only really still see Ryback and DB now, but in 2010 the Nexus completely dominated the WWE...well, at least until Summerslam (dang it Cena!). He then went on to lead the Corre, which didn't really do that much but still proved that he was a capable leader in addition to being a great wrestler. After that it was pretty much losing against Orton all over again. Luckily he made a rebound after his injury last year.

To me Wade has two problems working against him - his finishers and part of his gimmick. One, The Wasteland doesn't seem too powerful, it's similar to the AA, it's just another slam that most wrestlers eat dozens of through a match. I suppose that if The Wasteland were applied AFTER that many slams then well, it would work better, but usually most matches don't go on that long. His other finisher The Bullhammer seems more like it really would knock somebody out if it had momentum, but he performed this move at a dead standstill to Jack Swagger (I think) on one of the ladders last Sunday and it had the same effect. Meh.

Two, his gimmick, while not bad, doesn't really have that hook that grabs people and makes them cheer for him (or against him really). Barrett reminds me of William Regal in so many ways. Barrett does whatever he has to do to win, is a capable leader whenever he's in a group, has great power and surprising speed for a larger wrestler, is pretty good on the mic (not excellent...yet) and has been with the company for a while now. He just hasn't found "it" yet, which greatly saddens me. I want to hear "your world heavyweight champion, Wade Barrett!" sooner rather than later.

What does everybody else think about Wade?

I really like Barrett, but for the moment I actually believe that he would be boring as World champ, and something needs to change about him. His theme is now very good for him, he really need a gimmick change, but I believe that his move set needs an overhaul. Although he has signatures that do very much work (winds of change, pumphandle slam, Bullhammer, etc), the Wasteland is a set-up move, not a finish, in my opinion. The "Bare-Knuckle Brawler" gimmick very much limits his moveset, which is unfortunate, given that WWE would not have anything for him otherwise. These are all my opinions, but it takes the faith of WWE to pick up the ball and run with it, just to see where it goes, and I really hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Piper View Post
    I really like Barrett, but for the moment I actually believe that he would be boring as World champ, and something needs to change about him. His theme is now very good for him, he really need a gimmick change, but I believe that his move set needs an overhaul. Although he has signatures that do very much work (winds of change, pumphandle slam, Bullhammer, etc), the Wasteland is a set-up move, not a finish, in my opinion. The "Bare-Knuckle Brawler" gimmick very much limits his moveset, which is unfortunate, given that WWE would not have anything for him otherwise. These are all my opinions, but it takes the faith of WWE to pick up the ball and run with it, just to see where it goes, and I really hope they do.
    Yeah, part of what I was talking about was how he really hasn't found that "it" - that certain something that makes him break out from the rest of the roster and be a real champ, an interesting champ. I don't think he really needs to exactly change his entire gimmick, just add something to it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what that would be.

Barrett had all his momentum stopped when he injured himself as I personally think he was poised to take MITB instead of Ziggler.

Just hasn't found a way to get that all back. How to fix it, I don't know.

Blog Entries
    I like him he needs a new theme or lyrics to song

Lana the only reason i like Rusev

RTE Creator of
    Graves and Deception, Silas Parker and Blaze Evans ( Amazing Perfection)

IWA creator of
    Dakota Graves ( The New Generation)

SWA creator of
    Aries

WWE Fantasy Fed
    Heath Slater, Leo Kruger & Kevin Thorn ( HellRaisers)

WWE Prediction Contest
    2014 EC 1st

Blog Entries
    He also needs to do the hitman gimmick he did in FCW when he uwas paid to get crap done

Lana the only reason i like Rusev

RTE Creator of
    Graves and Deception, Silas Parker and Blaze Evans ( Amazing Perfection)

IWA creator of
    Dakota Graves ( The New Generation)

SWA creator of
    Aries

WWE Fantasy Fed
    Heath Slater, Leo Kruger & Kevin Thorn ( HellRaisers)

WWE Prediction Contest
    2014 EC 1st

Quote Originally Posted by mr.onemanband View Post
    He also needs to do the hitman gimmick he did in FCW when he uwas paid to get crap done
    Hey, that sounds like a good idea. I don't know about basing a whole gimmick around it but he could definitely work it into his persona. For instance, if Vince or some other wrestler wanted somebody taken out they would pay Barrett and he'd take 'em out. He has mentioned being "all about the money" in his past promos and will do whatever it takes to further himself. I don't see him being a hitman exclusively though. He wouldn't be Vince's lackey, but if somebody needs help and the price is right...

I like Barrett as well and he is a few steps away to being a top heel in the business but he does need help in standing out. More heelish, I might add.

I have the feeling that Barrett will turn face soon. Same for Drew McIntyre. I really like both of them. Barrett is more main event material at this time, but both need to be rebuild correctly, especially McIntyre.
    Respect the beard !

Normal Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.onemanband View Post
    I liked the team of him and drew mcintyre as "The Empire", Regal added as a manager would be brilliant...

Then at the end of next year when scotland breaks from the UK - split them and have a great wee rivalry.