Blog Entries

Former WWE Star Wins Again In MMA Bout!

*Source: Jody Kohn

Read more http://prommainsider.com/bobby-lashl...n-three-weeks/ *

With his second fight in a three week span, former WWE star Bobby Lashley [9-2] picked up his second win via submission (rear-naked choke) against Matt Larson [2-3] in the main event of ‘Global Warrior Challenge: The British Invasion’, held in Kansas City, MO this past weekend.

Bobby Lashley had this to say after his dominating performance:
    “I got a couple more fights to go before we take that big step,” Lashley said afterward. “But I just keep getting more comfortable in this cage. And when I get comfortable, I get dangerous. So I can’t wait for the next one.”
    While other former (and current) WWE stars such as Brock Lesnar [5-3]; Dave Bautista [1-0]; etc... have ventured into the world of mma, none have really taken to the sport as Lashley has. Sure Brock Lesnar was catapulted to the front of the UFC Heavyweight Division within a short span of time and captured the UFC Heavyweight Championship, however I have a feeling this was more due to star power than by skill.

Fans of the sport(s) of mma and pro-wrestling are starting to see a trend of 'jumping ship' from mma to the pro-wrestling ring and vice-versa. Quinton Jackson [32-11] ('Rampage') recently signed with both Bellator MMA and TNA. Brock Lesnar went from WWE to the UFC and then back to WWE. Dave Bautista (former WWE star) is still in mma looking for fight number two while at the same time running his mma school in Florida. Even Kurt Angle trained with the likes of his personal friend Frank Trigg [21-9]. CM Punk trains in Muay Thai; Ken Shamrock fought in the UFC and in the WWF; 'King Mo' Lawler fights in mma and occasionally in TNA; Steve Blackman was in Martial Arts and the WWF; Dan Severn; and the list goes on and on. Here's some other WWE stars that have ventured into mma training:

Vladamir Kozlov
    - Sambo training background
    - Trained in a seminar with grandmaster Sambo & MMA fighter Fedor Emelianenko a few years back

Dave Bautista
    - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu background under the Gracies
    - Muay Thai training background aswell

Eve Torres
    - Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    - Kickboxing background aswell

Brock Lesnar
    - NCAA Division I National Champion Freestyle Wrestler with record of 106 wins and 5 losses
    - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with Rodrigo Medeiros
    - Boxing with Peter Welsch
    - Kickboxing & Catch Wrestling with Erik Paulson
    - Owns an MMA gym (Death Clutch Gym) and coaches numerous training partners

Undertaker
    - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt under Steven Williams
    - Trains in Kickboxing and MMA as well (which is why he wears MMA gloves to the ring)

Kane
    - Trained in MMA and has done a few shoot style MMA fights years back in Japan (MMA fights with fixed endings)

Rob Van Dam
    - Trained Kickboxer

Jimmy Wang Yang
    - Trained in Judo / Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    - Kickboxing aswell

Alberto Del Rio
    - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu + Greco Roman Wrestling background
    - Kickboxing aswell
    - Fought in MMA as Dos Caras Jr, unfortunately his career was made famous because he was knocked out with a head kick in one minute by MMA legend Mirko Crocop

Shelton Benjamin
    - Two Time All American Heavyweight Wrestler with record of 36 wins and 6 losses
    - Trained at University of Minnesota with Brock Lesnar

Kurt Angle
    - Olympic Gold Medalist wrestler
    - The best wrestler to ever wrestle in the WWE
    - Training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA
    - Known for out-wrestling Brock Lesnar in a backstage match

Santino Marella
    - Judo Blackbelt
    - MMA Training

The list is long and goes back to early pro-wrestling days. The connection between mma and pro-wrestling is real and very close as the training in both sports helps limit injuries to the competitors.

Will Bobby Lashley come back to the WWE or the world of pro-wrestling? Only time will tell, but it won't be soon as the former WWE star has found a groove in mma and is set to make his mark.

UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

Blog Entries
    I didn't know a lot of that stuff, would love to see those Kane fights

Santino is trained in MMA, but his finisher is the Cobra. See, this is why WWE doesn't work