Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Matt Striker: What Could Have Been

So WWE have decided not to renew Matt Striker's contract.

This comes as sad news to me. I've always been an avid fan of Striker, all the way through when he was an active talent on the roster in ECW, to his managerial tenure, to his run as a commentator, and even recently as match coordinator of NXT Redemption and backstage interviewer.

Striker is something that many in WWE isn't; a wrestling fan. This was evident in his commentary.
    At a time when WWE's commentary team could do with a revamp, Striker was both experienced and overqualified if anything to fill the boots of Lawler for example at the table. I thoroughly enjoyed his commentary when he was behind the table in WWECW and on Smackdown.

And what of his managerial roles? a great mouthpiece for Big Daddy V, and didn't do a thing after that, minus a one night thing with Tyson Kidd when he was looking for a manager.
    I think Striker could have made a great manager for a heel Alex Riley or someone like that.

I'm disappointed that Striker's been let go while they elect to keep someone like Lawler on as a commentator. I get that Lawler is a HOF'er and gets massive pops each time he's on, but he sucks as a commentator. But Striker offered much more than that. He could have been utilized as a manager for someone in desperate need of a mouthpiece.

Thoughts on this release?
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Blog Entries
    Stryker and Lawler as a commentary team would be awesome! Not sure why you hate on the guy so much, he does his job, which is pure color...

as far as Stryker goes, couldn't agree more, he was the best play-by-play guy they had (with JR out) and unlike Michael Cole, actually knows the names of the moves. I loved the amount of backstory he could bring to every match, especially a title match, to help it feel like more of a big deal, and can only hope he takes that to another company

Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.

Blog Entries
    I personally don't think it's a big loss, his commentary was alright nothing special...

i don't want to be one of those guys who say well he should go to TNA. but TNA should try hard to get him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thedag View Post
    i don't want to be one of those guys who say well he should go to TNA. but TNA should try hard to get him.
    He's a talented guy, either ROH or TNA would be better off with him

Blog Entries
    Liked him, especially the work on dvd's and commentary. When he's on a dvd to tell a story, you see the passion.. I'm immediateley thinking about his story about Jimmy Snuka diving of the cage, which Striker saw happen as a young boy. Dude loves wrestling.

Maybe a bit too much. Last few years I had the feel that he felt too much pressure, it was all a bit forced. I don't think he stood up enough for himself to make it in WWE.
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

Quote Originally Posted by Marx View Post
    Liked him, especially the work on dvd's and commentary. When he's on a dvd to tell a story, you see the passion.. I'm imediateley thinking about his story about Jimmy Snuka diving of the cage, which Striker saw happen as a young boy. Dude loves wrestling.

Maybe a bit too much. Last few years I had the feel that he felt too much pressure, it was all a bit forced. I don't think he stood up enough for himself to make it in WWE.
    what is he mick foley now?

I personally don't care for him one bit. He was rarely used in WWE TV Screen Time. Which doesn't bring that much of surprise in his release and the same can be said for someone like JTG. To me he was nothing special. I also hate the fact that some people are praising the guy a little too much. We barely saw him and people loved him more than guys we see more of. I just hope he does well with his future in his career in wrestling.

A STAR WAS BORN!!!! #ThankYouBrock

I like Striker, never saw him replacing Lawler, who has a massive amount of experience in WWE, and wrestling in general. He could have been a great SD announcer, or even Main Event.

Him and Scott Stanford(Who has the voice every announcer dreams they could have) could have been great for SD, maybe throw in Josh Matthews to make SD seem like the young brand.
    Kaige Chamberlain
    Ballad of an Asshole

Former RTE Tag-Team Champion(w/ Xavier Hightower[1])
    Current EWNCW Tag-Team Champion (Solo; 3/30/14) [1]
    'Father' Black Angel:
    Preacher of the Voices

Winner of BotN[Seraphim]

I'm trying to be number one, why would I settle?
    @IWACreative_Parody Tweeter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marx View Post
    Liked him, especially the work on dvd's and commentary. When he's on a dvd to tell a story, you see the passion.. I'm immediateley thinking about his story about Jimmy Snuka diving of the cage, which Striker saw happen as a young boy. Dude loves wrestling.

What sold it for me was his work on the Rey Mysterio dvd. He did a great job keeping the focus on Rey, and hitting all of the best parts (or as many as he could) for questions. was just a total pro.