Yep, this hoary, old subject again.
I have a few ideas about how to expand this division with very little extra work on WWE's part (which they would love). Now that The Shield is holding the tag team belts, they need to hold them for a good time and defend them against good competition without just competing in squash matches all the time. In order to do this, the rest of the division needs bringing up a notch or three to provide a level of legitimacy to title defenses.
I've already heard people suggesting that all it takes is The Shield just holding the titles and damn the competition, just having them in possession of the belts makes them worthwhile. All I can say to that is that is just downright ignorant, fantasyland type thinking. It's a completely blinkered way of viewing things and does your favourite team more harm than good. Just like all those one eyed sports team supporters we all know and hate, they drive away far more people than they endear.
So, here's the teams we have going right now;
The Prime Time Players
- considered by most a joke of a team, I think a few really good matches with any other team (doesn't have to be and probably shouldn't be the champs though) could do them the world of good in the eyes of fans.
- a team that has a great entrance, a good energy and great possible future potential - if WWE let them.
Tons Of Funk
- this is yet another team that could really catch on, even if it would largely be with the kids. Again probably just a good feud away from getting more respect.
- I don't know why these guys weren't made champs before now. In a stacked singles scene, these guys are better off here for now - and the chemistry! Oh! The chemistry!
- probably not going to stay together but who knows. They still add much needed depth right now - and pretty much are a lock for great matches.
Epico & Primo -
situated somewhere between the Uso's and PTP in regard, these guys, like Hell No can always give a great match. It's a pity WWE does nothing to get fans invested in them. They should rehash the old Killer Bees gimmick of 'masked confusion' and maybe get rid of Rosa and get a valet/manager who can talk.
- we're all fairly certain McIntyre can work a good match aren't we?
Every division needs a bottom and 3MB fill that void nicely. But right now, they're kind of all over the place.
As well as those teams we have the possibility of Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara
(what else are you going to have them do?), Justin Gabriel & Tyson Kidd
(with Kidd being out, perhaps this would be a chance for a returning Evan Bourne
?), Kofi & R-Truth
(again, what else?), Hunico & Comacho
(who knows whats going on here? I think Hunico is injured?) Here's a few other ideas using some established, well regarded stars -
- some combination of these or even all 3 going against The Shield, with one of them focusing on Ambrose's US title, the six man matches would go off like a frog in a sock.
Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder
- together again, these guys weren't horrible the first time around.
Alberto Del Rio & Ricardo Rodriguez
- come on, you know you wanna see RR performing all the time. And ADR could do well out of the main title picture for a while, for now. Or at least when this thing with Dolph and Swagger is over.
Mark Henry & MVP
- I always like this team and I wouldn't mind seeing MVP return to WWE.
Sheamus & Finlay -
Now I know this is unlikely and Finlay is probably not in ring shape but Sheamus needs to get away from singles competition, like ADR, for a while.
So, whaddya think? That's a pretty stacked division there. I hear Haitch has some faith in the tags so anything is possible. I know many of these scenarios are unlikely but it's fun to throw ideas around. Tell us some of your own and if you just come here to pooh pooh the tag division, kindly leave!