Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The John Cena problem

Now I want to start this off by saying that I have no problem with John Cena and I think that he is amazing for the WWE and the wrestling business general. However with that being said I think that the WWE has a John Cena problem. I think the John Cena problem is the WWE forcing Cena down our throats 24/7 to the point of where one could argue that almost half of WWE's programming is used to promote John Cena. WWE is willing to do anything, sacrifice any superstar in order to keep John Cena from looking weak. Like last Monday Night where John Cena by himself, did something that no other team could do, and that is beat the Shield. I don't get why they couldn't have Daniel Bryan, or Kane, at least take out one member, but nope it had to be John Cena by himself.

Now some of you might be thinking well this isn't that bad or you're only mad because Cena beat your indy darlings. And that isn't the case. My problem is how this makes the rest of the roster look. It makes everyone who the Shield took out like that much weaker. If Cena can beat the Shield out by himself then why couldn't Ryback, Sheamus, Kane, Undertaker, Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, or Big Show do it when they had "super teams" on their sides? It makes that list of people look weaker for not being able to do what man could do by himself.

Plus it doesn't stop there. John Cena has been making people look weak for some time now, whether it is intentional or not I don't know. I don't know because I'm not backstage at WWE creative meetings. He made Ryder look weak by having him in his feud with Kane where Kane just dominated Ryder, because Kane couldn't dominate Cena without Cena looking weak, with Ryder getting little to no offense in. He made Alberto Del Rio look weak by beating him in his second title defense, and his first PPV title defense. He made Dolph Ziggler look weak by beating him week after week after week. Sure he lost to Ziggler in a ladder match, but then he went on to dominate Ziggler for the rest of the feud even when Ziggler had Big E. and AJ by his side. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Ryback look weak after their feud.

I get that Cena is the face of the WWE and that's fine, but let's be honest one of the biggest reasons the WWE hasn't been able to create new stars is WWE focusing every last ounce of energy they have into making Cena look like Superman. Now this isn't a call to return to the Attitude Era, but when WWE had the biggest array of main event stars was during the Attitude Era where they focused on a wide variety of people. During the Attitude Era you had Stone Cold, HHH, the Rock, the Undertaker, Mankind, Kane, Kurt Angle, Big Show, and Chris Jericho. Now a days the only real main eventers WWE has are John Cena, CM Punk, Sheamus, and Randy Orton. That's pathetic with the amount of titles the WWE has now and the amount of time WWE has to push stars. And the WWE has the stars in Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, the Shield, the Miz, Antonio Cesaro, Wade Barrett, Kofi Kingston, Alberto Del Rio, Cody Rhodes, and a lot of other talented individuals. The WWE needs to start giving these guys a chance to make a name for themselves or risk the empire they have built because Cena is 36, Sheamus is 38, Randy Orton is 33, and CM Punk is 31 and probably won't be staying much longer.
    Brad Maddox is the new face of the WWE!

Blog Entries
    Nothing new about Super-Cena. WWE creative needs a shot of ammonia up the arse. I often wonder if this isn't just a directive from the big kahuna himself, Vinny Mac and that creatives' hands are just plain old tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Nothing new about Super-Cena. WWE creative needs a shot of ammonia up the arse. I often wonder if this isn't just a directive from the big kahuna himself, Vinny Mac and that creatives' hands are just plain old tied.
    I won't lie it probably is just Vince because if this site is accurate, which I'm not guaranteeing that it is, then Vince only trusts Cena.

I don't really see it as Cena beating the shield. He really only pinned one of them, Roman got himself disqualified which the commentators put over as the Shield sacrificing themselves for the good of the team(Plus it made Roman look like a monster sort of, by pushing around the ref to get to Cena). They lost, sure, but it wasn't like Cena single handedly picked them off one by one like he did the Nexus some years back when he was fired. Shield still came out looking strong at the end, most everyone got some decent build.

Dean was the last Shield member.
    Cena was the last of his team
    Kane and Roman both looked like good big guys, with Kane getting DQ'd for not stopping destroying the shield, basically by himself, and with Roman pushing around the referee because he was in the way.
    Bryan had a damn good flurry of offense until he was taken out by the headlock driver(which is starting to grow on me)
    Seth didn't get as much of a build as the others, but all three further went on to beat up Cena and Triple Powerbomb him.
    Kaige Chamberlain
    Ballad of an Asshole

Former RTE Tag-Team Champion(w/ Xavier Hightower[1])
    Current EWNCW Tag-Team Champion (Solo; 3/30/14) [1]
    'Father' Black Angel:
    Preacher of the Voices

Winner of BotN[Seraphim]

I'm trying to be number one, why would I settle?
    @IWACreative_Parody Tweeter

Fresh Member
    Yes very true.I know cena works hard and im not dissing his wrestling,but he wins too much,cant lose clean when he got pinned by reigns his ankle was gone on him, his charactor is like superman exept he has no weekness.ziggler hit him with 2 finishers cell door cross the head slepper hold and big e slam. It makes it boring and predictable even lesner lost to him first match back.It would be great if they made him lose clean once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    I won't lie it probably is just Vince because if this site is accurate, which I'm not guaranteeing that it is, then Vince only trusts Cena.
    Well a company can not put all their eggs into one basket.

What if this happens all at one time

What if Punk decides- screw WWE- and doesn't come back? What if Orton gets his 3rd strike and is out for a year?. What if Sheamus gets a really bad sunburn and can not wrestle for a few months lol?

Then what if Cena got in a really bad accident right after all the above happened and could never wrestle again?

I hope none of the above really happens(well except the Orton thing) but if it all did happen, WWE has not built up enough people to just jump in their slots.

Like Peter said, everybody they have pitted against Cena- Cena always dominated them in the end. And this past Monday- that was ridiculous- an injured Cena overpowering 3 men? Yeah, I think the injury is a work just to make the fans get behind him even more, to show that unlike Rock, Cena can work through his injuries. If Cena were really hurt, he wouldn't have run out to the ring last Monday

Rest in Peace Eva "Ezra"

^
    ah, Renee Young

I have never liked Cena. They always bill him as the underdog and make it look like he is overcoming obstacles. It's absurd.
    The final straw for me was the I Quit match he had with The Miz. He had his ass kicked for 30 minutes only to come back, no sell everything and win in a matter of seconds.
    Cena, while being a good person, as a wrestler is terrible.

It doesn't just end there either Peter. I was about to post something similar to this too, but you beat me to the punch. I wanna preface this thing by saying that I legitimately like Cena. I think his in-ring work is massively underrated, and when he isn't telling corny jokes his mic work can be special. Still, I think one of the main problems is that creative keeps putting him with the hot new commodity, hoping that somehow that'll get him over with those that dislike him. The only problem is, all they really accomplish is getting that hot new thing to completely lose it's steam. Peter you gave some examples of this in your OP, but there are even more.

Let's start off with The Rock. The fact of the matter is, when Rocky first came back there was an extraordinary buzz around the WWE. Everyone was pumped for a while. Cena and Rock were trading verbal blows, and Cena delivered some great material in his promos. Material that almost any other wrestler could have delivered and gotten some of the people on his side, but since it was Cena, all it really did was get a lot of the cynics out there a reason to start hating The Rock.

You mentioned Ryder, so I won't go there into detail, but it's the same type of thing. Ryder was getting over big time. Involve him with Cena, and now most people are sick and tired of Ryder.

How about what is imo probably the worst offence, and that's Big Johnny. John Laurinitus had a pretty damn entertaining storyline with CM Punk going on. Big Johnny was everything that Punk wasn't. Punk was cool, brash, cocky, anti-authoritative, basically everything SCSA was back in the day, and Big Johnny was the slimeball, sneaky, asshole boss that was his rival, just like McMahon was in the attitude era. Their rivalry could have been all time great, but it was cut short because Johnny was picking up steam as a heel, and who else are you gonna give that guy to besides your top gun, right? Nope. What made the Punk/Johnny storyline work was the two polar opposites clashing heads, with the bad guy calling all the shots against that badass anti-authoritative guy that was so over. So they give Laurinitus to John Cena, someone who's always gonna tow the company line, and the storyline falls completely flat. People realized that Big Johnny is just kinda lame. He's bland and boring and can't carry a heel storyline unless there is that polar opposite to go against him. All the sudden, Big Johnny is off of TV and the WWE missed a huge boat with him and Punk.

Peter, you mentioned Ziggler, but how about AJ Lee? She was another one that was super-over. Her hot crazy chick gimmick was the most over thing a Diva has done probably since the Lita and Edge storyline. You have her with Punk and Bryan and Kane and that storyline was pretty damn fun. WWE could have carried that over into the Diva's division where Eve was the top heel, and her and AJ coulda had a feud that people probably would have cared about, something that again hasn't been done in ages. Instead though, all of the sudden you stick her in a business suit and make her the GM, pretty much just to give her an outlet to be stuck with John Cena and eventually turn heel, and now the people turn on AJ.

Now Cena's stuck with Ryback and The Shield, two of the most over commodities in the WWE today, and I just hope creative doesn't bury their future again. Thing is, I would have really liked to see Cena vs Ryback, but the Ryback heel turn just doesn't make sense to me. They coulda both been faces pretty easily in this feud. Why can't Ryback just say he wants the title? What's to stop him from thinking he's just better than Cena and that he deserves it more than him? Why do we have to turn this monster into a whiney little bitch complaining that Cena didn't have his back? It makes Ryback look weak! Compound this with Ryback's first Raw as an antagonist to Cena, where Cena calls him out to the ring at the end of Raw, just for Ryback to come out, stare for a little while, and back off like he's scared of Cena beating him up or something. Why the hell does that make sense for Ryback's character?? It doesn't. It only serves to make Cena look like someone to be feared.

Now, with last night and the Shield, I just don't know. The worst part about all of this is, besides the Big Johnny instance and the Rock instance, all of these examples me and Peter mentioned could very well be the future of this company. One more thing. I'm not blaming Cena for any of this. I don't think Cena's the type of guy who wants to bury people. I don't think his ego is that big. Like I said in this post, he's just a guy who's gonna tow the company line, and I think that's even more disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJosephBanks View Post
    I don't really see it as Cena beating the shield. He really only pinned one of them, Roman got himself disqualified which the commentators put over as the Shield sacrificing themselves for the good of the team(Plus it made Roman look like a monster sort of, by pushing around the ref to get to Cena). They lost, sure, but it wasn't like Cena single handedly picked them off one by one like he did the Nexus some years back when he was fired. Shield still came out looking strong at the end, most everyone got some decent build.

Dean was the last Shield member.
    Cena was the last of his team
    Kane and Roman both looked like good big guys, with Kane getting DQ'd for not stopping destroying the shield, basically by himself, and with Roman pushing around the referee because he was in the way.
    Bryan had a damn good flurry of offense until he was taken out by the headlock driver(which is starting to grow on me)
    Seth didn't get as much of a build as the others, but all three further went on to beat up Cena and Triple Powerbomb him.
    I get that and the loss wouldn't have stung as much if it wasn't their first loss as a team. Their first loss as a team came to one man. It just reminded me of how Goldberg lost his first match in WCW with the tazer. You build up this streak, you put over their undefeatedness just to have it all tossed aside for the sake of one man. Like I said in my post if Kane or Daniel Bryan at least took out one of them I'd be fine with the loss, but the fact that one man ended a pretty impressive undefeated streak just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    I get that and the loss wouldn't have stung as much if it wasn't their first loss as a team. Their first loss as a team came to one man. It just reminded me of how Goldberg lost his first match in WCW with the tazer. You build up this streak, you put over their undefeatedness just to have it all tossed aside for the sake of one man. Like I said in my post if Kane or Daniel Bryan at least took out one of them I'd be fine with the loss, but the fact that one man ended a pretty impressive undefeated streak just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    not to forget- an 'injured' man- a man who didn't need the win. thats why i never want to see UT and Cena at WM for fear creative will have Cena end that streak

Rest in Peace Eva "Ezra"

^
    ah, Renee Young