Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Heel Commentator: R.I.P.

I have recently been lamenting the loss of the true heel commentator in WWE. Mostly because JBL is not as heelish as he used to be on the mic. Although I still love what he does and concede that he does still cheer for the heels, he's also offsetting that with constant kudos to the good guys too.

King and JBL both used to do heel commentary and it was great, it would create great banter. Geez, even Cole had a turn at the heel and I have to wonder if maybe they didn't overdo it with the Cole/JR angle and thats what finally killed the good ol' heel commentator. I also think that having no commentators blatantly backing the bad guy has contributed to the rise of heel supporting smarks. I can almost guarantee that if Lawler were singing Punks praises every minute of the day, Punk would lose a few fans. I guess this gives the heels in WWE another element but I still miss a heel on commentary.

Mostly though, I miss the old JBL.

It was only a matter of time before "heel" or "face" commentators were gone. WWE is trying to appear to be a legitimate sport and in doing so you cant have commentators supporting either team but yes I do miss the old days.

I agree that heel commentators are missing these days, the King hasn't really been one for a while. I wonder if the heel to face changes have had something to do with it to a degree? Seems the changes happen more frequently these days.

JBL was a good heel commentator but there hasn't been a GREAT heel commentator since Bobby The Brain, though Heyman could be argued to be one. They seem to want to tie heel commentators to just one athlete now or group now or just aim to be against the face commentator rather than have opinions of their own. They need the face commentator to mostly do play by play in order for a heel commentator to work and well the art of play by play seems to be dead as well.

I guess what I'm saying is not only do I miss good heel commentary, I just miss good commentary

Blog Entries
    I think having polar opposites at the table made for good commentary.

I guess when the face commentators these days do play by play they actually try to be objective where as in the past they would call moves, praise the face in the match and then call out any cheating from the heel. The rise of tweeners doesn't help though, how can they back the person playing the face when they're also using shortcuts?

I miss the old "heel" "face" commentary too. King used to be so great when it was him and J.R. Now the poor guy just looks like he's miserable the whole time.
    2011 Prediction Contest: 4th, 2012 Prediction Contest: 11th, 2013 Prediction Contest: 4th

JBL comes off as a tweener leaning towards the heel side sometimes.

It does take away from what I used to enjoy so much with the commentating teams. Gorilla and Bobby, Ventura and McMahon... These guys helped to make matches more memorable and lasting in the mind. I can remember a match from Coliseum Home Video that was Marty Janetty vs. Shawn Michaels; the thing that makes it memorable was the back and forth between Gorilla Monsoon and Johnny Polo (Raven) that made the match enjoyable. I think the majority of wrestling fans would agree that when you have someone on commentary that gets under your skin (yet isn't annoying to listen to) by what they are saying, it helps you to pull for one superstar much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

Blog Entries
    It's interesting you mention that DRG because it definitely makes matches more rewatchable. I mean, the whole thing occurred to me when I was watching Benoit vs Finlay with Taz and Cole on commentary and it was just such a marked difference. Listening to Heenan & Monsoon could make even the worst matches watchable.

I think the two reasons why I can rewatch the 3 vs. 3 that kicked off the nWo is because of 2 major things; first is the history that it set in motion and second is because of Tony S, Bobby, and Dusty. As bad as Dusty was on commentary (my opinion), his undying loyalty to the good guy made it all the more fun to listen to Bobby rip him apart.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone