Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's so great about Barrett?

Okay I know there are a lot of Barrett fans on here, and there has been since his Nexus debut. But my question is why? I mean a lot of people say he's overdue for a world title run, but I don't think so. (I have predicted him to win Money in the Bank because he's the most obvious pick) For some reason he's been coming off rather stale lately. His entrance is boring, his finisher is okay. Every one of his mid-card reigns have been lackluster. It feels like ever since he lost his Nexus group, he's just been kind of lost. When he returned I liked the new vicious finisher, and I thought his whole bare-knuckled gimmick could work, but after awhile I still found him boring, but with a nice finisher. His promos have been okay, nothing specutalar okay. He's had a few good matches, but I don't know. I don't think he's as great as people think he is. I'm not sure if it his gimmick, is lack of charisma, I mean I've never seen him get a huge crowd reaction outside of his hometown. It's weird because I know Barrett can be good, but as of right now I find him incredibly boring.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Here's what I put Barrett's broad appeal down to - he's competent in the ring but not too flash but he has a few other things going for him; he seems like a knockabout guy - the sort of fella you could imagine hanging out with and knocking back a few cold ones with. Like an English Steve Austin. Also, he's ruggedly handsome and speaks well - which is something a lot of guys (who won't admit to it) really take a shine to in other blokes. So that's my assessment of why people do like him - he's like an everyman.

I think he's great in the ring and on the mic and the reason he seems a little boring is due to not getting any sort of push.
    Holds a mid card title with no real feud, barely defends it or has a credible reign and like most of the midcarders gets little time invested into him, certainly not enough for fans to care and to garner a reaction from the crowds.

He needs a new finisher, don't like the bullhammer. A powerbomb or something.

As Rob said he seems like the kind of guy you could have a beer with, as a Brit probably more so than Steve Austin did as Barrett probably drinks decent beer.

He's competent on the mic, competent in the ring and he looks like he can be a threat to people without looking like a roided idiot that cant move. His strikes look fairly realistic too, which is quite rare in WWE these days.

I wouldn't list him as one of my favourite wrestlers but I like him being on the roster and he'd make a good transitional champion some day

For me, you answered it yourself, it's due to what he did with the origional Nexus, but since then he has been misused, think of it like McIntyre light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
    As Rob said he seems like the kind of guy you could have a beer with, as a Brit probably more so than Steve Austin did as Barrett probably drinks decent beer.

He's competent on the mic, competent in the ring and he looks like he can be a threat to people without looking like a roided idiot that cant move. His strikes look fairly realistic too, which is quite rare in WWE these days.

I wouldn't list him as one of my favourite wrestlers but I like him being on the roster and he'd make a good transitional champion some day
    He may at that, but he wouldn't drink it warm! Ugh!

All of your views on Barrett are justifiable. But, to me honestly, they are a result of the poor booking by WWE. I personally think Wade Barrett would look ten times stronger if he had a better writers helping him out. I've been saying for a year now that WWE should take a more, "Fight Club" approach with Wade Barrett. Don't make him like the average wrestler. In fact, purposely admit that he lacks the abilities to be an average wrestler, but where he lacks in skills he makes up for it as a street fighter. Then have wear some taped fists and win his matches by KO.

Hell, you can even have him create his own match. Have him and a wrestler fight outside in an alley with a crowd surrounding them. And the only way to win, is by knockout. Do stuff with Wade Barrett like that and make it really interesting. But no, WWE feels it would be more beneficial to make him a typical, average, cowardly, cheapskate heel. Boring.
    <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">

This is where I post recent videos. This week's video:"
    WWE Summerslam 2014 Preview and Predictions"

Fresh Member
    He need a new finisher if he's going to go anywhere, the bull hammer elbow? C'mon, i buy into Santinos cobra more than that stupid finisher, Ohno has a 100000000000x better elbow than Barrett, that combined with the fact that he's just boring. Sure he's a great ring general, and he can talk on the mic, but everything he says is irrelevant, not to mention the fact that he thinks he's a big time movie star cause he got Collin Ferral's coffee once.

He is the good kind of bad guy. In your face but classy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Deluxe_08 View Post
    All of your views on Barrett are justifiable. But, to me honestly, they are a result of the poor booking by WWE. I personally think Wade Barrett would look ten times stronger if he had a better writers helping him out. I've been saying for a year now that WWE should take a more, "Fight Club" approach with Wade Barrett. Don't make him like the average wrestler. In fact, purposely admit that he lacks the abilities to be an average wrestler, but where he lacks in skills he makes up for it as a street fighter. Then have wear some taped fists and win his matches by KO.

Hell, you can even have him create his own match. Have him and a wrestler fight outside in an alley with a crowd surrounding them. And the only way to win, is by knockout. Do stuff with Wade Barrett like that and make it really interesting. But no, WWE feels it would be more beneficial to make him a typical, average, cowardly, cheapskate heel. Boring.
    I like that idea. I would give him a Ken Shamrock type character. I would give him a title called the Knockout championship where every match ends by knockout. You can have guys like Kassius Ohno, Big Show, Sheamus fight for the title.

Sidenote: I know TNA's divas title is called the knockout championship, but whatever.