Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Do a lot of the IWC want WWE to be something it never has and never will be?

For a long time now it would seem that many on here want a WWE full of indy guys and great technical wrestlers. Yes there are some great wrestlers currently on the roster and some equally great or even greater guys waiting for their shot at a WWE pay cheque. But lets face it, you are never going to get a roster full of those guys. The WWF/WWE has never had that kind of roster. Their roster has, since the 70's been awash with huge guys, larger than life gimmicks, crazy arse storylines and feuds. You may have notice they are a sport entertainment company, not a wrestling company.

Even a lot of the classic, legendary guys won't even that technically great. Arguably the greatest tag team of all time, Legion of Doom, were certainly far further on the huge guy, big gimmick side of the fence, than the technical side. Go back and watch any of their matches. Their move set was pretty limited. The 'wrestling' God of the 80's. Mr yellow and red himself. About as much wrestling talent as Michael Cole. His intended successor, Mr Warrior. Awesome to watch back in the day. Had arenas exploding. Move set to match Cena's. Then move on the the like's of Batista, Big Show, Cena etc..

What I'm getting at here is too many of you seem to want something that's never gonna happen in WWE. They make over the top, scripted, sport entertainment. If you want pure wrestling, from amazing technical wrestlers I suggest you change the channel and stop praying for WWE to change. I, for one, decide a while back to just watch the matches, enjoy the athleticism of what the guys do and let the sometimes shit booking just wash past me.
    Last edited by URATOOL; 04-14-2013 at 06:46 AM.

I agree, well said.

Divas to believe in.

Blog Entries
    I've been saying for a while that too many IWC fans watch WWE as a critic rather than as a fan. By picking faults in things all the time you're not going to enjoy watching anything ever.
    I just sit back and try and enjoy what's put out in front of me, regardless of how bad some of the things are. I can look past the bad and see good in what's put out there. I wouldn't still be watching otherwise.

Not saying we shouldn't criticize things, since we are here to discuss and debate the goings on in the wrestling world, and share our opinions on things. But some people take it way too far when criticizing. Just sit back and enjoy it. WWE's never going to be what the IWC wants it to be (an amped up ROH style company), so no point bitching about how it isn't like that.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by URATOOL View Post
    For a long time now it would seem that many on here want a WWE full of indy guys and great technical wrestlers. Yes there are some great wrestlers currently on the roster and some equally great or even greater guys waiting for their shot at a WWE pay cheque. But lets face it, you are never going to get a roster full of those guys. The WWF/WWE has never had that kind of roster. Their roster has, since the 70's been awash with huge guys, larger than life gimmicks, crazy arse storylines and feuds. You may have notice they are a sport entertainment company, not a wrestling company.

Even a lot of the classic, legendary guys won't even that technically great. Arguably the greatest tag team of all time, Legend of Doom, were certainly far further on the huge guy, big gimmick side of the fence, than the technical side. Go back and watch any of their matches. Their move set was pretty limited. The 'wrestling' God of the 80's. Mr yellow and red himself. About as much wrestling talent as Michael Cole. His intended successor, Mr Warrior. Awesome to watch back in the day. Had arenas exploding. Move set to match Cena's. Then move on the the like's of Batista, Big Show, Cena etc..

What I'm getting at here is too many of you seem to want something that's never gonna happen in WWE. They make over the top, scripted, sport entertainment. If you want pure wrestling, from amazing technical wrestlers I suggest you change the channel and stop praying for WWE to change. I, for one, decide a while back to just watch the matches, enjoy the athleticism of what the guys do and let the sometimes shit booking just wash past me.
    I always say this. There's a reason why WWF, with it's big colorful characters, exploded in the early 90s. All the small time indy promotions remain small because, quite frankly, technical wrestling isn't THAT entertaining.
    WWF was always about entertaining. Bret Hart, a gifted technical wrestler, still had a "spot" move list. Benoit, Guerrero etc all had the same.
    WCW, AWA, NWA etc, all preferred the big body builder type. Think of a list of the TOP wrestlers, ever. They were always big, body builders!
    I do think there should always be a mix though. WCW had a great cruiserweight division, that balanced out the heavyweights. It added another dimension to the show.

G
    GMU - UTID!

2012 - 2nd!

Quite well said. If you want technical wrestling, there's always ROH and Japan. WWE is not a wrestling company, its an entertainment company. They've even removed the word 'wrestling' from its name.

Black Ninja!
    Yes. They want wrestling. Not to be entertained.

To hell with insincerity. Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    Yes. They want wrestling. Not to be entertained.
    Then they will forever be disappointed, to some extent, if they watch WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by URATOOL View Post
    Then they will forever be disappointed, to some extent, if they watch WWE.
    I wonder what the fledgling IWC bitched about back in the 90s then. WWF and WCW were both entertainment. ECW had slightly more wrestling, mixed in with shit loads of blood and weapons. Definitely leaned towards the weapons part though.

G
    GMU - UTID!

2012 - 2nd!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowki View Post
    I wonder what the fledgling IWC bitched about back in the 90s then. WWF and WCW were both entertainment. ECW had slightly more wrestling, mixed in with shit loads of blood and weapons. Definitely leaned towards the weapons part though.
    Mostly they just enjoyed the showmanship of it. I rather suspect that for every indy/tech wrestling fan there is on the net, there are several who pretend to be like that but secret love the entertainment stuff. They just think it's cool to love only 'proper' wrestling. I can honestly say that if anyone truly watches all of WWE, IMPACT, RoH, NJPW, Dragon Gate etc.. They need to get a life. That's way to much screen time for any one hobby.

I think WWE is slowing moving from the big guy who can lift era, not towards a technical wrestler era but to an ATHLETIC era. Guys like Ziggler, D-Bry, Punk, Jericho, Rhodes, Christian, Fandango, Slater, The Uso's, Mahal, Gabriel, Kofi, Miz and Ryder. You're not gonna see them suplexing Mark Henry (by themselves) or roaring and people being awestruck by their sheer size, but they're damn good athletes and a lot of these guys aren't even technical wrestlers. We can only see a big guy get picked up so many times before it's just not a big thing anymore e.g Ryback's SS on Henry. Before it was booked we all knew that ryback would pick up someone big at WM...It's been done many times before, however:

Could be seen as a lot more entertaining than one man simply picking up another, there's just so much more that can be done in the ring with athletic ability instead of just strength.

Imagine Dolph Ziggler vs Cody Rhodes having 100 different matches and Triple H vs Brock Lesnar having 100 different matches. Does that make my point clearer?

In short the way I see it is that the 'E is or should move more from The Hulk to Captain America?
    Last edited by SkilletBoi; 04-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.

[thinks about midcard]