Fantastic article on Cena, the WWE Universe, and the phenomenon with Fan-Dan-Go.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Agreed. It is good.

You know, in a weird way, John Cena kind of is a heel. Well, not kind of, it might as well BE a heel. With the way WWE portrays him, he is constantly getting heat and almost everyone that attacks him gets cheered and praised for doing so. He gets boring chants, his stories are hard to invest in, and the commentators literally no selling how the fans react to him just make fans hate Cena even more. Sure, Cena has his fans, just like all wrestlers have their fans. I just think with how WWE portrays him as a white knight that is universally loved -- pretty much saying anyone that doesn't like him isn't a part of the masses -- makes him an easy target to hate.
    <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">

This is where I post recent videos. This week's video:"
    WWE Summerslam 2014 Preview and Predictions"

He's definitely a heel in the eyes of a significant portion of the audience, yeah. But the disconnect between the producers of the product and the people consuming it has them forging ahead with the stories they want to tell instead of the stories that many of us want to be told.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Blog Entries
    Smarkageddon, lol. Very well written.

The current state of Cena when it comes to his face/tweener/heel status is difficult to say the least. I think it is going to vary person to person depending on your definition of a heel. Is a heel someone who is hated by the majority of the fans regardless of how they're book or is it someone who is just booked against the faces?

Switching subjects a bit the article mentions that no one was invested in Cena's journey back to the top. Now that is hard for me to agree of disagree with since I don't watch WWE outside of the week before and after WrestleMania, but I do keep myself current. Cena was never really booked to hit "rock bottom" (no pun). He still headlined PPVs and rarely lost cleanly. His physical appearance didn't reflect a man down on his luck nor did many of his promos (at least the one that I saw). He made it seem like he lost everything but he was still the face of the company.

AJ Styles is being booked the same way Cena was supposed to be booked over the last year. They both go through a lot of stuff, hit rock-bottom, and climb back to the top. Believe it or not the TNA booking team is doing a much better job taking us through AJ's journey. AJ looks like a beat down man, he resulted to drinking and reckless behavior, and he is unstable. I think if Cena was booked to a fraction of that extent the fans would have an easier time connecting with him.

Quote Originally Posted by YOUcanCALLmeCRACK View Post
    The current state of Cena when it comes to his face/tweener/heel status is difficult to say the least. I think it is going to vary person to person depending on your definition of a heel. Is a heel someone who is hated by the majority of the fans regardless of how they're book or is it someone who is just booked against the faces?

Switching subjects a bit the article mentions that no one was invested in Cena's journey back to the top. Now that is hard for me to agree of disagree with since I don't watch WWE outside of the week before and after WrestleMania, but I do keep myself current. Cena was never really booked to hit "rock bottom" (no pun). He still headlined PPVs and rarely lost cleanly. His physical appearance didn't reflect a man down on his luck nor did many of his promos (at least the one that I saw). He made it seem like he lost everything but he was still the face of the company.

AJ Styles is being booked the same way Cena was supposed to be booked over the last year. They both go through a lot of stuff, hit rock-bottom, and climb back to the top. Believe it or not the TNA booking team is doing a much better job taking us through AJ's journey. AJ looks like a beat down man, he resulted to drinking and reckless behavior, and he is unstable. I think if Cena was booked to a fraction of that extent the fans would have an easier time connecting with him.
    I agree, instead of Cena going on a losing streak. He beat Brock Lesnar (though he was destroyed the whole match) I felt every match he should have lost, and more and more you can see him getting angrier, and then leave for I say 3 months. Have him come back in the Royal Rumble with a whole new look (he doesn't have to be a heel) and have him seem more vicious, and win it. It would have been more believable to see him get beat more often throughout the year. I mean he did get beat by Ziggler, and Tensai but all through dirty tactics. Then all of sudden, he was able to win the Royal Rumble. It felt like creative went the easier route they could with Cena. Having him win the Royal Rumble, then win at Wrestlemania and hug The Rock. I like Cena, but even I find him boring and stale.