Page 423 of 539 FirstFirst ... 323 373 413421422423424425 433 473 523 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,230 of 5382
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    You're preaching to the choir about Mendo there Ape. I'm glad he seems to have gotten the best of his demons and is getting work in some big movies now.
    Have you seen The Place Beyond The Pines yet? He does great, great work with Gosling in that. It's heavy and meditative, but I think you'd dig on some of its fatherhood themes. Plus, it's got a score by Mike Patton, and a shockingly solid performance from Bradley Cooper.

Rosencrantz and.... also has Richard Dreyfus which can only add to it's appeal, I think.
    Dude! He's totally another one of my favorites from the 80s!

*checks to see if Stakeout is on cable*

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

True Romance always gets lumped in with QT movies (as it should) but the director there was no novice either! In fact, it's a crime that Scott is overlooked a little there.
    True Romance is one of my favorites, but I often can't help but wonder what the film would have been like had Quentin directed, like originally intended.

Ape and DRG, as QT fans, you should try get your hands on something called Not Quite Hollywood. It's a film about the Ozploitation era of Australian filmmaking and how influenced he was by it. He's in a large chunk of it, talking it up big time. (it's available for download ssshhhh)
    Ooooh, now that sounds interesting. I'll see if I can't dig that up.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Have you seen The Place Beyond The Pines yet? He does great, great work with Gosling in that. It's heavy and meditative, but I think you'd dig on some of its fatherhood themes. Plus, it's got a score by Mike Patton, and a shockingly solid performance from Bradley Cooper.

Dude! He's totally another one of my favorites from the 80s!

*checks to see if Stakeout is on cable*
    I will watch that today actually. Didn't even know Mendo was in that. I really like Gosling (although I balked at Drive) and Cooper can do the business. Eva Mendes is just a huge plus too, so thats all the boxes ticked for me!

I watched Stakeout a couple of weeks ago. Was surprised by how solidly it holds up, I think I underrated that when it came out. Emilio, Whitaker, Dan Lauria, Aiden Quinn, even Madeline Stowe was alright. Great cast, great movie. I also especially like Dreyfus in The American President. I have a soft spot for that movie for some reason.

I have watched a couple of solid movies lately -
    The Open Road with Jeff Bridges, Justin Timberlake and Mary Steenburgen was a nice little movie. JT has really proved he can act if you ask me and I will watch Bridges watching paint dry. That guy fascinates me. 8/10
    Promised Land. This movie was extremely educational and revealing to me. Screenplay by (and starring) Matt Damon and John Krasinsky and directed by Gus Van Sant (I know right?) it also features Frances McDormand and Hal Holbrook. It tells the story of gas companies trying to buy up rights in small towns and how they go about it. I liked it but then I don't have conventional tastes. 8.5/10

Blog Entries
    True Romance is one of my favorites, but I often can't help but wonder what the film would have been like had Quentin directed, like originally intended.
    What happened there? Any idea? Too many irons in the fire? In any case, Tony Scott did a great job but it would be pretty hard to miss with that cast! Slater FTW!

Ooooh, now that sounds interesting. I'll see if I can't dig that up.
    You'd be doing yourself a HUGE favour as a fan. You can see how enthusiastic he is about it, how much it really did influence his style (Death Proof is a direct consequence of this influence as well as much of his gore style) and I respect him even more just watching and hearing just how much he knows his shit.

Am I the only one who loves Jackie Brown?

Blog Entries
    Bradley Cooper was very very solid, the Gosling part stole the film though. l hate to sound like a typical fanboy but that dude is amazing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    Bradley Cooper was very very solid, the Gosling part stole the film though. l hate to sound like a typical fanboy but that dude is amazing.
    He might be the flavour of the month in Hollywood and surrounds but the reason for that is because he's pretty damn good. No shame admitting to that

No you're not. I watched it the other day & really enjoyed it. I love De Niro, Samuel L. is always cool, & Pam Grier was foxy.

Nobody says "nigga" like Jackson either.
    Andy Cannon - EWNCW
    Former Inferno Ignition Champion: 11/12/12 - 5/27/13

"The Southern Warrior" Chris Gatling - IWA

Senior Member/Featured Blogger wrestlingfan66513's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What happened there? Any idea? Too many irons in the fire? In any case, Tony Scott did a great job but it would be pretty hard to miss with that cast! Slater FTW!

You'd be doing yourself a HUGE favour as a fan. You can see how enthusiastic he is about it, how much it really did influence his style (Death Proof is a direct consequence of this influence as well as much of his gore style) and I respect him even more just watching and hearing just how much he knows his shit.

Jackie Brown came out after Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs and I didn't like it at first because it didn't seem as good as those movies which might be why it gets some hate. But going back to watch it, I appreciated more for what it was and just forgot about Q.T's other films before it and as a result got more out of it.

Also I just got done re watching Being John Malkovich. I don't know why we don't see Spike Jonez in the directors chair much but I hope he does more projects.
    #BennysTeddy

Efedding

Mike Hawk
    EWNCW World Champion (11-12-13 to 5/1/14) Vacated
    Current IWA World Champion (12-15-13 to Present)
    IWA Blackout Champion (3-24-13 to 4-27-14)
    Former JBW Television Champion (12-2-12 to 8-2-13)
    Former ICW Tag Team champion
    1st and last EWA Carnage World champion

Mixed Emotions (Pride and Sorrow)
    Current EWNCW World Tag Team Champions (4-19-13 to 4-26-14)
    Last EWNCW Grand, Hardcore and International Tag Champions

Blog Entries
    I didn't think Jackie Brown was all that.

I will watch that today actually. Didn't even know Mendo was in that. I really like Gosling (although I balked at Drive) and Cooper can do the business. Eva Mendes is just a huge plus too, so thats all the boxes ticked for me!
    Yeah. She is the sex.

Girl's even better here than she was with her surprising turn in We Own The Night, so it's kind of cool to find out that she's actually/surprisingly legit. (I am also of the belief that we need to spearhead an online campaign to get her Tawny Kitaen-style on the hood of a car to make a new Dead Man"s Bones album cover. )

I watched Stakeout a couple of weeks ago. Was surprised by how solidly it holds up, I think I underrated that when it came out. Emilio, Whitaker, Dan Lauria, Aiden Quinn, even Madeline Stowe was alright. Great cast, great movie.
    Watched it incessantly as a kid after taping it onto a VHS by accident. Every night after dinner for a winter I was watching either Stakeout, Short Circuit, or Summer School. It was always one of those three movies. Nothing else.

I also especially like Dreyfus in The American President. I have a soft spot for that movie for some reason.
    Between that and Mr. Holland's Opus, Richard Dreyfuss was probably the best actor in all of '95. Not even joking.

I have watched a couple of solid movies lately -
    The Open Road with Jeff Bridges, Justin Timberlake and Mary Steenburgen was a nice little movie. JT has really proved he can act if you ask me and I will watch Bridges watching paint dry. That guy fascinates me. 8/10
    Promised Land. This movie was extremely educational and revealing to me. Screenplay by (and starring) Matt Damon and John Krasinsky and directed by Gus Van Sant (I know right?) it also features Frances McDormand and Hal Holbrook. It tells the story of gas companies trying to buy up rights in small towns and how they go about it. I liked it but then I don't have conventional tastes. 8.5/10
    Yeah, I've really been meaning to watch Promised Land. I love a huge chunk of the talent involved; Hal Holbrook in particular (his performance in That Evening Sun almost brought me to tears). Fracking or whatever might be a hard sell for my girl, but I'm thinking Krasinki might (hopefully) clinch the deal for me.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9