Page 325 of 523 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335375425 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 5224
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Really? It's heavily-favored to get an Oscar nomination (which is even more prestigious).

And one doesn't necessarily have to see something to be surprised by a snub or nomination. Both the Globes and the Oscars lean towards certain kinds of roles, actors, and projects, so not seeing nominations for awards-bait kind of roles/projects or recognition for the sort of projects/performances that typically get overlooked or are not even particularly worthy of said recognition can still be surprising to people in the know.
    I didn't know that.I wasn't expecting any nomination because i think critics felt that the third Batman movie wasn't as good as it predecessor was.

What Arsenal fans think about RVP moving to UTD:
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    There is a difference between playing shit and being shit. You said I think RVP is shit, where I'm saying he'll play shit... His ability will still be there but it just won't have a bug effect on UTD.
    Oh akbar....

Zero Dark Thirty is going to take home more awards than Argo is going to.
    Aye i forgot about that one.That movie gets insanely good reviews

There is a difference between playing shit and being shit. You said I think RVP is shit, where I'm saying he'll play shit... His ability will still be there but it just won't have a bug effect on UTD.
    Oh akbar....

Quote Originally Posted by magglis View Post
    I didn't know that.I wasn't expecting any nomination because i think critics felt that the third Batman movie wasn't as good as it predecessor was.
    The Two Towers was better-received than Return of the King...and Return of the King ended up winning the Oscar for Best Picture while The Two Towers didn't. So that means a whole lot of nothing.

Regardless, TDKR was still one of the best reviewed movies of the year.

Click HERE for must see Iron Sheik: Very Animated People hilarity

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)- 9.5
    Killer Is Dead (PS3)- 6.5
    Yoshi's New Island (3DS)- 7.5
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3)- 8.5

Infamous: Second Son (PS4)- 9.5

The Two Towers was better-received than Return of the King...and Return of the King ended up winning the Oscar for Best Picture while The Two Towers didn't. So that means a whole lot of nothing.

Regardless, TDKR was still one of the best reviewed movies of the year.
    Really?I thought that Return of the King was the stronger of the three and one of the rare examples that a movie is stronger than its predecessors.Well that is what i read(also what i believe).

I can't deny the fact that TDKR is a great movie.Is one of my favorite movies of the year but like you said before good movies usually don't win awards

Oh akbar....

Really?I thought that Return of the King was the stronger of the three and one of the rare examples that a movie is stronger than its predecessors.Well that is what i read(also what i believe).
    You should start checking out some review aggregators like Rotten Tomatoes. For example, 96% of critics rated The Two Towers favorably compared to 94% for Return of the King (with 92% of audiences rating The Two Towers favorably compared to 83% for Return of the King). Aggregate sites paint a much broader, more accurate picture of how things are generally received than our own personal tastes or that of what 1 or 2 reviews that we read may have said (for the record, though, I too preferred Return of the King).

Really, reviews don't necessarily even matter. One also has to take into account the competition in that given year, the award season push by the studio for that particular film, the current profile of the talent involved, and a whole plethora of other factors. It's never a black and white sort of thing.

Just some food for thought: Why did Scorsese win his first directing Oscar for The Departed when he has in-arguably directed several better films?

I can't deny the fact that TDKR is a great movie.Is one of my favorite movies of the year but like you said before good movies usually don't win awards
    It has no chance of winning, but with the Best Picture category having been expanded from 5 nominations to 10 nominations, TDKR getting nominated is a very realistic possibility.

You should start checking out some review aggregators like Rotten Tomatoes. For example, 96% of critics rated The Two Towers favorably compared to 94% for Return of the King (with 92% of audiences rating The Two Towers favorably compared to 83% for Return of the King). Aggregate sites paint a much broader, more accurate picture of how things are generally received than our own personal tastes or that of what 1 or 2 reviews that we read may have said (for the record, though, I too preferred Return of the King).

Really, reviews don't necessarily even matter. One also has to take into account the competition in that given year, the award season push by the studio for that particular film, the current profile of the talent involved, and a whole plethora of other factors. It's never a black and white sort of thing.

Just some food for thought: Why did Scorsese win his first directing Oscar for The Departed when he has in-arguably directed several better films?

It has no chance of winning, but with the Best Picture category having been expanded from 5 nominations to 10 nominations, TDKR getting nominated is a very realistic possibility.
    I usually follow IMDB and there Return of the King holds a 9/10 score there.Return of the king is actually my favorite movie and i believe is one of the best movies ever made

Don't really know why Scorsese never won an Oscar before the Departed.Movies like Raging Bull,Taxi Driver and his finest masterpiece Goodfellas are all oscar worthy and i might add my personal favorite Gangs of New York

Oh akbar....

I usually follow IMDB and there Return of the King holds a 9/10 score there.Return of the king is actually my favorite movie and i believe is one of the best movies ever made
    Don't take this as any sort of personal jab as that's not my intent- but IMDB is one of the least respectable movie sites out there. Any sort of movie buff that's actually worth his salt will tell you that an IMDB score means a whole lot of nothing. In addition to being chock full o' inaccurate information, the overwhelming majority of the people that populate that site are simpletons. It's not a hub for worthwhile insight and valuable critical analysis so much as it is the internet equivalent of the lunch table where the fanboys sit at.

IMDB is as one-sided and bias as it gets, so taking a score on there as gospel makes little to no sense. If one is just looking to have their own already-formed opinion validated, then, sure, I could see why someone would latch on to a number from over there. But trying to pass that off as some kind of accurate barometer for a film's general reception couldn't be any more misguided.

Don't really know why Scorsese never won an Oscar before the Departed.Movies like Raging Bull,Taxi Driver and his finest masterpiece Goodfellas are all oscar worthy and i might add my personal favorite Gangs of New York
    I'm not a big fan of Gangs of New York (except for Daniel Day Lewis' predictably awesome turn as The Butcher), but I'm definitely in agreement with you in regards to Goodfellas being Marty's masterpiece. As far as I'm concerned, that's the finest American movie of the past 30 years.

That Goodfellas lost the Best Picture Oscar to Dances With Wolves is just about all the proof I need that the Academy Awards are a total friggin' farce.

Blog Entries
    But...but...but.....I use IMDB! But seriously, I mainly use it for references to cast and crew and I find their "people who liked this movie liked..." can be as helpful as it can be totally off base. I don't pay attention to the ratings they have - look at the stupid bloody lists people put up! "Movies I Have Seen" - aaaaaaand there's six there. "Greatest Leading Men" and it's chock full of your Gerard Butlers, Ryan Reynolds' and Colin Farrells . This is what happens when you let the public build your site - hello Wikipedia, I'm looking at you!

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    But...but...but.....I use IMDB! But seriously, I mainly use it for references to cast and crew and I find their "people who liked this movie liked..." can be as helpful as it can be totally off base. I don't pay attention to the ratings they have - look at the stupid bloody lists people put up! "Movies I Have Seen" - aaaaaaand there's six there. "Greatest Leading Men" and it's chock full of your Gerard Butlers, Ryan Reynolds' and Colin Farrells . This is what happens when you let the public build your site - hello Wikipedia, I'm looking at you!
    Yeah, I'll totally use IMDB to reference someone's filmography...but that's, like, it. Everything you've said is pretty much spot on; the place is just a monument to bad taste (as well as an indictment on the failings of the modern school system).

Have you ever ventured into the IMDB message boards? That's a laugh a minute!