Page 217 of 541 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207215216217218219 227 267 317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 5403
    Quote Originally Posted by supergoing View Post
    Gladiator has aged very badly IMHO (but was also kind of awful to begin with anyway... IMHO)

-

(spoiler-free, embryonic Batman review)
    The Dark Knight Rises - much like The Dark Knight - takes many of its predecessor's elements and ramps them up a few notches, attempting to reach a higher level of transcendence with the overall output. While this tactic undoubtedly worked wonders for TDK, the result in this case is an over-ambitious and bloated film. The biggest reason for this is that, despite being 165 minutes long, the film feels like it should have ran much longer and/or been released as a two-parter. The massive scope that the story attempts to cover makes various plot-points and characters feel somewhat glossed-over and insignificant, to the point that certain events are rather lacking in punch because of it. As paradoxical as this may sound, had some things been fleshed out in more detail or extra dimensions inserted into the film, I think the movie would have turned out to be more cohesive rather than more unwieldy. I reckon it will be interesting to see if a future "director's cut" (or a decently made fan-edit) can really tidy up the pacing of the film and alter it's entire complexion for the better.

A few of the individual elements that the movie did well were the action sequences, the main villain's performance and the score, but I'm afraid that none of these are quite as great as the previous. (except perhaps the score) As for the film as a whole, it's certainly has its flaws, but it's quite an entertaining watch. At least, it's rarely boring. (5/10)
    You should put this in the Dark Knight Rises thread with spoilers and specific examples of what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadThinker View Post
    You should put this in the Dark Knight Rises thread with spoilers and specific examples of what you mean.
    meh, I don't really feel like posting in what's sure to become a fanboy circlejerk. Besides, there's only one sentence that warrants specific examples, so I'll just do it here.

For example, the way they had Bruce Wayne go from being gimpy with a cane at the beginning then almost instantly back to normal seriously undercuts Bane's beatdown and his broken back later in the film. If they were going to blow up Gotham with a nuke anyway, why did they bother to occupy the city for five months? What was the effect on the people of Gotham? Not that I didn't understand any of these points, but all of them should have been made into a bigger deal than they were.

As for characters: Bane, badass as he is, just wasn't as interesting as Joker or Ras because it's not made too clear what his motivations are for most of the film. It would've been nice to see more backstory or build up for him. Matter of fact, I feel similarly about most of the new characters as well - too much were introduced at once, and there simply wasn't enough interaction with them to make me care beyond superficialities. The Talia Al Ghul reveal is a prominent result of this - despite being a fairly clever and logical plot twist, it felt really weak and underwhelming due to her character up to that point being essentially those adjectives. So much so, that apparently I've forgotten what her character's name was. Hell, even the stock detective character of Foley (Matthew "Pvt. Joker" Modine) was given more depth than either of the main antagonists.

Also, the sentence in general heavily implies that the pacing of the film is all over the place. I did explicitly mention that elsewhere, but in a twist of meta-irony, it's something that I should have emphasised more and made clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    Anyone see the ending of Insidious?

The part with the Old Women getting closer by the pictures scared the life out of me.
    I can't remember the last time I was so underwhelmed by a film. So poor it was painful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    I can't remember the last time I was so underwhelmed by a film. So poor it was painful.
    But it had its scary moments right? Lol like I know the film just got silly in the middle when Darth Maul came and started running around the room.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    But it had its scary moments right? Lol like I know the film just got silly in the middle when Darth Maul came and started running around the room.
    I was more scared the last time I had a bad case of the Tom Tits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clrj3514 View Post
    I think a lot of the people who are so critical of it just want to sound smart. If you enjoyed the movie why be so dang nit-picky? Personally I love it!
    Because that's what reviewing is about.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingfan66513 View Post
    Also, it kind of felt the second movie didn't really matter storywise, it was more of a jump from 1 to 3. 2 just gave us why gave up being Batman.

As for the Robin thing, I think they could have scraped the Catwoman role for Robin and at the end of the movie have him become Nightwing
    I think they didn't want to include too much about the second one because of the Joker (Heath Legder death)

Quote Originally Posted by clrj3514 View Post
    I think a lot of the people who are so critical of it just want to sound smart. If you enjoyed the movie why be so dang nit-picky? Personally I love it!
    Yeah, the discussion in this thread would be a far more worthwhile endeavor if everyone was adding insightful and compelling nuggets such as "Personally I love it!" Who wants to be nit-picky when we can vapid and inane instead, amirite?

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Blog Entries
    I understand some people just like to watch movies. But some like to examine them too.