Page 216 of 541 FirstFirst ... 116 166 206214215216217218 226 266 316 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 5401
    Gladiator has aged very badly IMHO (but was also kind of awful to begin with anyway... IMHO)

-

(spoiler-free, embryonic Batman review)
    The Dark Knight Rises - much like The Dark Knight - takes many of its predecessor's elements and ramps them up a few notches, attempting to reach a higher level of transcendence with the overall output. While this tactic undoubtedly worked wonders for TDK, the result in this case is an over-ambitious and bloated film. The biggest reason for this is that, despite being 165 minutes long, the film feels like it should have ran much longer and/or been released as a two-parter. The massive scope that the story attempts to cover makes various plot-points and characters feel somewhat glossed-over and insignificant, to the point that certain events are rather lacking in punch because of it. As paradoxical as this may sound, had some things been fleshed out in more detail or extra dimensions inserted into the film, I think the movie would have turned out to be more cohesive rather than more unwieldy. I reckon it will be interesting to see if a future "director's cut" (or a decently made fan-edit) can really tidy up the pacing of the film and alter it's entire complexion for the better.

A few of the individual elements that the movie did well were the action sequences, the main villain's performance and the score, but I'm afraid that none of these are quite as great as the previous. (except perhaps the score) As for the film as a whole, it's certainly has its flaws, but it's quite an entertaining watch. At least, it's rarely boring. (5/10)

Blog Entries
    Gladiator is a fantastic film in my view, the middle might have got a little boring but it's still a great film regardless of how you feel about the director and actor. The main actress in the film was good, Joaquin Phoenix should've won a Oscar...all round memorable film.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    I'll merge this into the movies thread eventually but I thought we should have a thread by now where we can freely discuss The Dark Knight Rises.

So what were your impressions? Did it live up to the hype or your expectations?

I have been hearing a lot of negative reviews about Tom Hardy/Bane's voice. I quite liked the voice of Bane. It was a bit like Darth Connery, lol. I saw the movie in IMAX (3rd largest screen in the world) and the worst I can say about the voice is that it was slightly bass heavy which caused me to miss bits of dialogue.

The inclusion of Talia al Ghul was a nice touch. (It kept bugging me who Marion Cotillard reminded me of - I later realised it was Nicole Sullivan)
    Did anyone else notice that they never referred to Selina Kyle as Catwoman?

Obviously Nolan is not concerned with previous Batman timelines and story arcs and was intent on using these characters to tell a story of his own and I think that was probably the best way to go. The ending was equal parts an end and a new beginning. Should someone pick up where this movie left off? I don't know. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from when Joel Schumacher took it over.

Thoughts?
    Personally I loved the movie. I was surprised by the revelation of Talia al Ghul, but even more so by the Robin revelation, that I didnt see coming. Overall, I thought this was the best of the 3, and a fitting way to end the series.

Quote Originally Posted by supergoing View Post
    Gladiator has aged very badly IMHO (but was also kind of awful to begin with anyway... IMHO)

-

(spoiler-free, embryonic Batman review)
    The Dark Knight Rises - much like The Dark Knight - takes many of its predecessor's elements and ramps them up a few notches, attempting to reach a higher level of transcendence with the overall output. While this tactic undoubtedly worked wonders for TDK, the result in this case is an over-ambitious and bloated film. The biggest reason for this is that, despite being 165 minutes long, the film feels like it should have ran much longer and/or been released as a two-parter. The massive scope that the story attempts to cover makes various plot-points and characters feel somewhat glossed-over and insignificant, to the point that certain events are rather lacking in punch because of it. As paradoxical as this may sound, had some things been fleshed out in more detail or extra dimensions inserted into the film, I think the movie would have turned out to be more cohesive rather than more unwieldy. I reckon it will be interesting to see if a future "director's cut" (or a decently made fan-edit) can really tidy up the pacing of the film and alter it's entire complexion for the better.

A few of the individual elements that the movie did well were the action sequences, the main villain's performance and the score, but I'm afraid that none of these are quite as great as the previous. (except perhaps the score) As for the film as a whole, it's certainly has its flaws, but it's quite an entertaining watch. At least, it's rarely boring. (5/10)
    How can that be possible?

What Arsenal fans think about RVP moving to UTD:
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    There is a difference between playing shit and being shit. You said I think RVP is shit, where I'm saying he'll play shit... His ability will still be there but it just won't have a bug effect on UTD.
    Oh akbar....

Senior Member/Featured Blogger wrestlingfan66513's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I loved it but there are a few things that bugged me. I think they should have given Talia more screen time in the movie to make her turn mean more. The Bane voice is annoying at some points, but Bale's Batman voice still irks me. The other thing that confuses me is why Batman didn't use any gadgets in his first fight with Bane.
    #BennysTeddy

Efedding

Mike Hawk
    EWNCW World Champion (11-12-13 to 5/1/14) Vacated
    Current IWA World Champion (12-15-13 to Present)
    IWA Blackout Champion (3-24-13 to 4-27-14)
    Former JBW Television Champion (12-2-12 to 8-2-13)
    Former ICW Tag Team champion
    1st and last EWA Carnage World champion

Mixed Emotions (Pride and Sorrow)
    Current EWNCW World Tag Team Champions (4-19-13 to 4-26-14)
    Last EWNCW Grand, Hardcore and International Tag Champions

I've read a lot of die-hards saying that Robin's name isn't Robin Blake or whatever it was. And what they seemed to have missed was that Blake grew up in that boys home so obviously he was an orphan (like Dick Grayson). We don't know when he was sent there, so Robin Blake could just be an adopted name and maybe in the next set of films (if there are any), he can discover that he is really Dick Grayson and find out about his parents and who killed them, etc.

Now my question to you all is this:

Would you rather have Robin become Batman or Nightwing?

I would rather him be Nightwing, because that would set up the highly unlikely possibility of Bruce Wayne returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    You fucking legend.
    First IWA World Champion

Blog Entries
    Well there's different realities that have Bruce Wayne and Talia as parents to a girl, who becomes Huntress, then later as I recently discovered, a boy who becomes Robin number 5. I think that establishing one true timeline for Batman is out the window these days. I haven't liked Robin since I was a kid and never really liked Nightwing. I'd prefer for him to be Batman I think

My biggest issue was that it felt like 2 movies cobbled down to one. The elapsing of time is all over the map, so things feel alternately disjointed and rushed.

Oh, and for a Batman movie, it didn't have a whole lot of Batman.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Senior Member/Featured Blogger wrestlingfan66513's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also, it kind of felt the second movie didn't really matter storywise, it was more of a jump from 1 to 3. 2 just gave us why gave up being Batman.

As for the Robin thing, I think they could have scraped the Catwoman role for Robin and at the end of the movie have him become Nightwing
    #BennysTeddy

Efedding

Mike Hawk
    EWNCW World Champion (11-12-13 to 5/1/14) Vacated
    Current IWA World Champion (12-15-13 to Present)
    IWA Blackout Champion (3-24-13 to 4-27-14)
    Former JBW Television Champion (12-2-12 to 8-2-13)
    Former ICW Tag Team champion
    1st and last EWA Carnage World champion

Mixed Emotions (Pride and Sorrow)
    Current EWNCW World Tag Team Champions (4-19-13 to 4-26-14)
    Last EWNCW Grand, Hardcore and International Tag Champions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    My biggest issue was that it felt like 2 movies cobbled down to one. The elapsing of time is all over the map, so things feel alternately disjointed and rushed.

Oh, and for a Batman movie, it didn't have a whole lot of Batman.
    ^^^You could say that for any of the three movies, I think.

I think if anything, this had much more Batman and less Bruce Wayne in ratio to the first two. But I agree with your assessment of the disjointed feel and so much left unexplained - not that it was needed but it would have been nice. I would have to say, of those 3 movies you could, or should have made 5 or 6. Eight years gets explained away in a matter of minutes.