Page 211 of 539 FirstFirst ... 111 161 201209210211212213 221 261 311 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 5385
    Still haven't seen District 9. It's been on my watch list for a couple years now. Right there with Fight Club.
    I'd rather have nothing than have a lie.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    Still haven't seen District 9. It's been on my watch list for a couple years now. Right there with Fight Club.
    Forget District 9, give Fight Club a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    Forget District 9, give Fight Club a watch.
    Or he could, like, watch them both and then form his own opinion. Unless this is some sort of desert island scenario that I'm not aware of.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Blog Entries
    Well yeah, your idea works too... but the chances of him watching both in the near future are unlikely so I decided to recommend which film he should watch first before anyone else gives a different opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clrj3514 View Post
    Went & saw The Dark Knight Rises today.......freaking excellent! My new 2nd favorite movie.
    Ok, I'll bite. What's number 1? (if someone hasn't beaten me to asking...)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    So I watched District 9 on cable the other night. I personally liked the movie but never heard anything positive about the film... The reason I bring this up is because of something strange I notice.

Now with my cable provider, when I pull up the guide toolbar, and highlight a movie, there is usually a "star rating" next to the movie. I find they commonly go with the general populations opinion (i.e. Million Dollar Baby would have a 4 star where as Shaun of the Dead would at best get a 2, even if I loved the film personally...) I usually don't take these into consideration since I base my own thoughts on a movie by watching it myself, but District 9 caught me off guard with a 4 star rating. I am not sure if anyone has seen the film or not, but this is a similar rating I would have given the film based simply off the lack of expectation I had for the film the first time I watched it; not after watching it numerous time to nitpick the flaws.

I just wanted to ask how everyone rates their own films (for me it's by entertainment, the ability to get me to invest in characters, the ability to suspend or blend reality and fantasy, etc...) I would also like to know if anyone has found any websites that, more times than not, would rate films similar to how you rate them personally. I guess it's more a curiosity of mine since Netflix and many other services have a "tendency" feature that will recommend films based off of someone else’s review, thoughts, and "if you like this movie, then try..." surveys.
    OK, first - I loved District 9 for one of the same reasons you did - it caught me off guard. Watched it a few times since and was equally impressed. Now I know that some people really DON'T like it, so I have come to reconcile that it's one of those movies that's either really liked or hated - or possibly not 'hated' but suffers from the "I don't know what people were raving about" syndrome. Sharlto Copley is excellent in it.

I am fairly individual in my movie tastes, in that I'll watch anything to some level of enjoyment. If it's crap, it's crap but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I might go as far as to say "that movie was terrible!" or whatever but I rarely wish for my time back. In fact, I actively seek out bad movies sometimes. You occasionally discover hidden gems that way.

But basically, I have two criteria when watching movies - 1) you have to be able to suspend your own belief and 2) you need to be ready to believe anything. Now, they might sound like they're the same thing but they're slightly, and importantly, different. And it's the responsibility of the viewer, not the movie or the movie maker, to possess those qualities going in - otherwise you set yourself up for disappointment. It's not their fault for making a crap movie - it was my choice to roll the dice and take a chance on it. I'm much happier with this understanding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    Personally, I liked the film. I did not LOVE the film, but I liked it. If I was to chose, I would take Gran Torino over this film in the aspect of Eastwoods recent works... I would also take Cinderella Man over this movie in regards to watching a boxing drama... And since I am an avid hater of all things Russel Crow, that says ALOT. Personally, I think the best boxing movie made in the past 10-15 years goes to The Hurricane (I can not give a specific instant why; I just loved the film all around) - But I am biast since I still have yet to see "The Fighter" (I know I need to watch it, just gotta make the time)
    Highly recommend The Fighter. I haven't watched The Hurricane and can't bring myself to after reading something about Reuben Carter that painted him as an asshole. There's probably more to that story and I understand he's bitter but there it is.

Even though you hate Russell Crowe (haha) can I recommend Romper Stomper to you? It's pretty good, one of those made in 28 days things. I'm not a huge Crowe fan but it's a good early work. Also worth a look is The Sum Of Us.

Blog Entries
    Went and saw Brave with my wife. it was cute, but not bad enough to make your teeth ache. had a few funny moments, and the animation was top-notch.

going to see Batman at a theater around here called Brewvies, that apparantly has not only a restaurant where they bring the food to your seat, but also has it's own microbrewery, which means tasty beer that I shouldn't buy because it costs too damn much.
    Life is good.

Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.

Blog Entries
    Wow so many people hate Russell Crowe? Lol

I loved him in Gladiator and LA Confidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. What's number 1? (if someone hasn't beaten me to asking...)
    Tombstone.

A pretty well-liked movie that no critics seems to actually "love". Is it historically accurate? Not really, but I'm not asking for a documentary. I can quote the thing line for line & it's a move I can watch ANYtime. I freaking love it!
    Andy Cannon - EWNCW
    Former Inferno Ignition Champion: 11/12/12 - 5/27/13

"The Southern Warrior" Chris Gatling - IWA

Wow so many people hate Russell Crowe? Lol

I loved him in Gladiator and LA Confidental.
    he is a lad one of the best

What Arsenal fans think about RVP moving to UTD:
    There is a difference between playing shit and being shit. You said I think RVP is shit, where I'm saying he'll play shit... His ability will still be there but it just won't have a bug effect on UTD.
    Oh akbar....