Page 503 of 541 FirstFirst ... 3 403 453 493501502503504505 513 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 5403
  1. #5021
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Batmania
    Posts
    24,366
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Androo View Post
    The Iceman was a fine film. The performance of Michael Shannon helped elevate it from just-above-average. He managed to present a sort of The Shining gangster hit-man (without the supernatural). He's got to be one of the top American actors working. He just got into the role. A slick showing. The supporting cast is pretty decent, too. I don't know if they were all fully utilised, but it was just good to see. Liotta was respectable, usual Liotta; Chris Evans was acceptable, it was good seeing him in something un-actionheroey. Didn't quite get the point of James Franco turning up for a minute, but hey ho.

    It's not like, "go out of your way to watch this!", but if you get an opportunity to watch it, watch it. I guess.
    I watched this last night. I thought it was a good role choice for Evans, who needs to get out there more in roles like this. I got the feeling with Franco that he was just visiting the set and they decided to pop him in there. Schwimmer was entertaining as he didn't "Ross" it up, Winona was competent too. Shannon was well cast as Kuklinski in both appearance and style. I've seen extensive interviews with The Iceman and the similarity is remarkable. 7.5/10

  2. #5022
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Just watched The Way Way Back. Really enjoyed it but with the cast and the team behind it I sort of expected to. Steve Carrell plays an absolute prick. 8.5/10
    I've been wanting to see this movie for this very reason; Carell is vastly underrated.

    Have you seen Seeking A Friend For The End Of the World, by any chance? HIGHLY recommended. Dat ending. Oh, dat ending.


    Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5


  3. #5023
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Batmania
    Posts
    24,366
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    I've been wanting to see this movie for this very reason; Carell is vastly underrated.

    Have you seen Seeking A Friend For The End Of the World, by any chance? HIGHLY recommended. Dat ending. Oh, dat ending.
    Not yet but I'm definitely going to now. Was sort of avoiding it because I can't really stand Knightly.

    The main reason I watched The Way Way Back was because of Faxon & Rash both writing and directing it together. Alison Janney really nails her part too.

  4. #5024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    I watched this last night. I thought it was a good role choice for Evans, who needs to get out there more in roles like this. I got the feeling with Franco that he was just visiting the set and they decided to pop him in there. Schwimmer was entertaining as he didn't "Ross" it up, Winona was competent too. Shannon was well cast as Kuklinski in both appearance and style. I've seen extensive interviews with The Iceman and the similarity is remarkable. 7.5/10

    Yeah, I'm with you on everything. Evans has always come across as really unlikable, to me. Just one of those smug, thinks-he's-awesome, is-only-person-who-finds-him-funny, high school jock, type dude. Need to see more of him.

    Speaking of Shannon. I watched that Premium Rush, and it's a kinda throwaway formulaic, nothing, actiony chase movie, but Michael Shannon(again) and Joseph Gordon Levitt put in highly enjoyable performances, which made it ok.

  5. #5025
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Batmania
    Posts
    24,366
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Androo View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you on everything. Evans has always come across as really unlikable, to me. Just one of those smug, thinks-he's-awesome, is-only-person-who-finds-him-funny, high school jock, type dude. Need to see more of him.

    Speaking of Shannon. I watched that Premium Rush, and it's a kinda throwaway formulaic, nothing, actiony chase movie, but Michael Shannon(again) and Joseph Gordon Levitt put in highly enjoyable performances, which made it ok.
    I can see that about Evans with his early roles but it was Scott Pilgrim that really made me go, 'hang on, there might be something to this guy...'.

    On a totally unrelated note, does anyone else get the feeling that they come up with these Hunger Games titles and character names by pulling slightly more and more ludicrous names out of a hat and putting them together?

  6. #5026
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Not yet but I'm definitely going to now. Was sort of avoiding it because I can't really stand Knightly.

    The main reason I watched The Way Way Back was because of Faxon & Rash both writing and directing it together. Alison Janney really nails her part too.
    I've never been a fan, either, but she absolutely kills it here. Her and Carell have amazing chemistry together.


    Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5


  7. #5027
    Black Ninja! Wade Barrett 1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Pedestal of Superiority
    Posts
    15,849
    Finally dragged myself round to watching Gravity, really wish I had watched it at the IMAX. Really good movie, for me not as outstanding as many purveyed but still one of my top movies this year.

    On a side note, I really enjoy listening to younger fans going on about Hunger Games then talking them into watching Battle Royale, they never look at it the same again.

  8. #5028
    Super Member clrj3514's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,470
    I just watched Mud. This was an awesome movie IMO. Everything just worked, plus McConaughey was great as normal.
    Andy Cannon - EWNCW
    Former Inferno Ignition Champion: 11/12/12 - 5/27/13

    "The Southern Warrior" Chris Gatling - IWA


  9. #5029
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Batmania
    Posts
    24,366
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by clrj3514 View Post
    I just watched Mud. This was an awesome movie IMO. Everything just worked, plus McConaughey was great as normal.
    Hey, me too! Quite good, really liked Michael Shannon's role too. So often it seems screenwriters (or someone) feels it too necessary to make other characters more objectionable in order to make it overly clear who the protagonist is. This movie had none of that. I even empathised with the guys who were after Mud, since they weren't all bad, they just wanted to get the guy who killed their son/brother.

    I did notice the very subtle "women are a mans poison" under tones the movie had. Almost every guy in that movie had been or was in the process of being jerked around by a woman. It's not quite misogynistic but it's definitely there.

  10. #5030
    Super Member clrj3514's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Hey, me too! Quite good, really liked Michael Shannon's role too. So often it seems screenwriters (or someone) feels it too necessary to make other characters more objectionable in order to make it overly clear who the protagonist is. This movie had none of that. I even empathised with the guys who were after Mud, since they weren't all bad, they just wanted to get the guy who killed their son/brother.

    I did notice the very subtle "women are a mans poison" under tones the movie had. Almost every guy in that movie had been or was in the process of being jerked around by a woman. It's not quite misogynistic but it's definitely there.
    I liked Shannon's part too & wouldn't have complained with seeing a bit more of it. The dude is just good all the time. You're right though, everybody's view was understandable. I didn't even realize Reese Witherspoon was in it until I started watching. The acting from the kids was pretty great to IMO.

    There was never a point where I was wondering how much longer, which is definitely a good sign.
    Andy Cannon - EWNCW
    Former Inferno Ignition Champion: 11/12/12 - 5/27/13

    "The Southern Warrior" Chris Gatling - IWA


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.