Page 345 of 539 FirstFirst ... 245 295 335343344345346347 355 395 445 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 5383
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    I don't get this. Like, where is it written that Spiderman's coming of age story needs to be light? If anything, I think the darker approach actually makes more sense given the emotions one usually experiences in the transition from adolescence to adulthood. I'd even go so far as to say that was one of the movie's smarter choices; the more things are rooted in reality, the more weight the stakes have.
    I see where you're coming from but from I've seen of his origin story, before he dons the suit and the responsibility of the superhero life, he was just living the life of a normal teenager. But the tone of the move should have started to make a transition to the grit after his uncle's death and not make it a common element before the incentive occurs. I get with the subplot of finding out the truth of his parent's and all, not everything's going to be roses and sunshine but I still would have appreciated seeing that transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That's fair. I don't think they steered to far from the comics but you nailed where they did. They made spiderman way cooler than he was in the original origin story. That's why I didn't rate the movie higher than I did. I still found it incredibly enjoyable though. the acting was pretty solid for a super hero movie. I think strict adherence to the comic books though makes a boring movie. not every story can be told threw movies exactly how they were written down, while still being a good movie. also it leaves little to no movies to be made in the future because you have to hold true to the original movies.
    This is a weird thing to read in 2013.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    This is a weird thing to read in 2013.
    Fair point. I guess it would of been better stated that it was much better acting than the first spiderman series IMO. I think that was the point I was trying to get across... there is a ton of great acting in super hero movies nowadays.
    #BeJelly

Quote Originally Posted by K2Jelly View Post
    I see where you're coming from but from I've seen of his origin story, before he dons the suit and the responsibility of the superhero life, he was just living the life of a normal teenager. But the tone of the move should have started to make a transition to the grit after his uncle's death and not make it a common element before the incentive occurs. I get with the subplot of finding out the truth of his parent's and all, not everything's going to be roses and sunshine but I still would have appreciated seeing that transition.
    You lost me on tone, as that's not something that's supposed to change relative to the beats in a story. The tone is the overall feel of the story and the world it takes place in, and it's supposed to serve as, like, the constant, unseen back-drop for everything that unfolds.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Oh, you want the "normal" 1950's teenager life. Riiiight. Not the angry youth of today who were conceived to a Nirvana record.

I still don't even get the "normal teenager" thing. Does that mean that all filmmakers are supposed to adhere to some kind of template for depicting kids in similar scenarios? Is there only one way to present that story and/or those characters?

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Lets look at the Peter Parker character. The guy was such a bad nerd, he was socially inept and awkward in extremis. His take on the world and his emotional viewpoint were that of a 10 year old Richie Cunningham. It's hardly something you would choose to relate to the youth of today - or even 30 years ago.

Blog Entries
    I don't understand why you think I was thinking that filmmakers have to be restricted to one way of presentation in this particular genre. I was talking about one movie, not the mass assimilation to one ideal.

I don't understand why you think I was thinking that filmmakers have to be restricted to one way of presentation in this particular genre. I was talking about one movie, not the mass assimilation to one ideal.
    You seemed to be implying there was only one progression by which Peter Parker's story could be told, as if normal teenagers couldn't possibly be rooted in a more grounded and "gritty" world until someone died. Sorry if that's not what you were trying to say.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Look here...

Still, when making a comic book movie, it's best to translate the setting, the tone, the pivotal characteristics as best as possible. I had some problem with the execution of the story but my main irk is with the way it was presented. Spider-Man's only real dilemmas are with trying to balance his normal life with that of a superhero. Making Peter some angsty, snarky skateboarding nuisance didn't really sit well with me nor did the excessive use of dark elements surrounding the characters. It should have been subdued enough for the audience to know it was there without going overboard kinda like the SM universe should be. Besides that, his transition from a vengeance seeking marauder to Spider-Man was just to quick and awkward. So was Ben's death. It was just like "Oh, here it is. It happened. Now we can move on."

I recognize that art relies on expansion and all but in this case, I felt like a lot of things didn't sit well for me in this particular movie. By the way, I'm simply responding to you because I found your opinion on the matter something worth engaging not because I felt you were insinuating negative characteristics onto me and I'm retaliating. Anyways, I don't have problems with comic book movies deviating from original source material. I just don't feel like the core values and setting of the movie should be completely modified. In that sense, it doesn't even appear to reflect the material that they're basing the movie off of in the first place. For TASM, the tone felt topsy-turvy to the standard Spider-Man coming of age story and it should be more apparent that it come across as something less gritty and serious when its his coming of age story. There were some cons to the movie, such as the girl not acting solely as a reward for the hero like Raimi did with MJ for most of the trilogy, and I appreciated what they did with May and Ben.

All that seems pretty damn restrictive as to what you thought they SHOULD have done.