Page 246 of 520 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 5196
    Went to see Brave (2D) last week. I actually rather enjoyed it. I'm not one for liking something just because it's 'wherever-you-came-from', or whetever, but I would be lying if I said I didn't think it was pretty cool that it was Scotland. I think some of the Scottishness added to my enjoyment. Yeah, bits of the Caledonia collective felt a bit too contrived, (yeah, it's all contrived, it's a movie DUH me), but I guess most of Scottishland was like that in that time; and it's nothing to get worked up about in a kiddy film! I genuinely laughed numerous times. The animation is super splendor, as always; especially the Scottish landscape, which lends itself well to the Pixar lads.

I definitely got more of a sense of Disney than Pixar, that's not a bad thing, just a comment. I liked the more unique take on the Princess revovlement, not just the 'handsome Prince', fall in love, etc. The anthropomorphized bear stuff creeped me out a bit, but that's nothing Ursa Major, (see what I did there?). All in all, one for most of the fam. I might say "best childrens animation movie of the year so far", but, I don't think I've seen many more?

The animated short, La Luna, that preceeded Brave, was awfully sweet. And really worth half the price of an Orange Wednesday ticket by itself.

Blog Entries
    Highlander remake with Ryan Reynolds? Hmmmmm.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Highlander remake with Ryan Reynolds? Hmmmmm.....
    I appreciated the story but I really could not get myself to enjoy the film.

Reserved for when Arsenal lift the FA Cup

Blog Entries
    Watched 'Roadgames' with Stacy Keach and Jaimie Lee Curtis. It was shite. That's what I get for exploring Aussie cinema though.

Also saw 'Churchill: The Hollywood Years' starring Christian Slater (as Churchill), Neve Campbell (as Princess Elizabeth) and Harry Enfield as the King of England. It was poor, as expected, but if they can re-imagine the life of Lincoln so wildly, then this isn't much of a stretch. Some genuinely funny moments though.

Blog Entries
    I've yet to see The Hunger Games, Doesn't interest me at all from the trailers and premise but I'm hearing good word of mouth about it...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Tony Scott committed suicide. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ott-death.html

He directed Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, True Romance and was the brother of Blade Runner director Ridley.
    Wow I'm shocked.

Me and my mate had a rule that we always watch every Tony Scott Denzel collaboration... Deja vu, man on fire were my favourites.

I just watched The Wrestler. It's pretty freaking sad at parts but it was still a great movie IMO.
    Andy Cannon - EWNCW
    Former Inferno Ignition Champion: 11/12/12 - 5/27/13

"The Southern Warrior" Chris Gatling - IWA

I was having a debate with a friend today over Hans Zimmer's The Dark Knight Rises score. I thought the it was a triumph due to its emotiveness and musical qualities, (so much so that I actually downloaded the album) but my friend largely considers it a failure because he found it invasive and "obvious/safe" in its moods/motifs, as if it was spoonfeeding him what emotions he's supposed to be feeling throughout the movie. While I can agree that it did "invade" the action at times, in my opinion it served to help the feel of the film rather, than harm it. (However, I do tend to fully agree with his sentiments regarding some lesser modern scores that try far too hard to be "epic", as well as the overuse of themes like Lux Aeterna and O Fortuna in television-land. These can be so painfully self-aware that it's hard not to be distracted by them.)

So, what did y'all think of TDKR's soundtrack?

Or - as part of a related & wider topic of film/music discussion - do you think soundtracks are more effective when they are memorable/bombastic and at-the-forefront of the movie, or when they affect the movie so subtly that you'd barely even notice at all if you weren't listening for it?

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I've yet to see The Hunger Games, Doesn't interest me at all from the trailers and premise but I'm hearing good word of mouth about it...
    I never fancied watching it myself but was then made to and thought it was ok.Watch it with a lady friend and its quite good i guess.

Blog Entries
    Went with my boys to watch The Expendables 2 if you like action and want to see the older action stars like Arnold, Chuck, etc. you'll love it but if you enjoy complex storyline films not the flick for you.
    I'm jus sayin...