Page 329 of 531 FirstFirst ... 229 279 319327328329330331 339 379 429 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 5307
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Avoid any list that has Shawshank Redemptio in it's top 10. It's not that good.
    I think it's sort of interesting how Shawshank didn't come to be regarded the way that it is until after it was out of theaters. Like, when it initially came out, despite good reviews, no one really gave a shit about it. The movie didn't cost a whole lot to make, but it still struggled at the box office to even make its production budget back (effectually meaning that the studio didn't recoup any of its marketing costs until it took off on video).

That said, I'm a fan. And Kubrick fans can blow me, as I still consider Shawshank the most successful of all Stephen King adaptations (with Stand By Me and the black & white version of The Mist not too far behind).

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    I think it's sort of interesting how Shawshank didn't come to be regarded the way that it is until after it was out of theaters. Like, when it initially came out, despite good reviews, no one really gave a shit about it. The movie didn't cost a whole lot to make, but it still struggled at the box office to even make its production budget back (effectually meaning that the studio didn't recoup any of its marketing costs until it took off on video).

That said, I'm a fan. And Kubrick fans can blow me, as I still consider Shawshank the most successful of all Stephen King adaptations (with Stand By Me and the black & white version of The Mist not too far behind).
    But - Maximum Overdrive! Or Trucks!

That's due to the non-horror subject matter largely. I still haven't seen The Mist, I'll have to get to that. Admittedly I have never watched The Shining all in one sitting. I'm a bit meh about Kubrick myself. It's elitist film making for the margins, I believe. Of course, Misery was good. But the books are so reliant on the minds eye, that movies are just a let down. You can't possibly fit it all in.

But - Maximum Overdrive! Or Trucks!
    The only theatrical King adaptations that are worse than Maximum Overdive- I'm not even going to bother with the made-for-tv stuff because, holy fuckballs, the bulk of them are awful- are Dreamcatcher and Lawnmower Man.

That's due to the non-horror subject matter largely. I still haven't seen The Mist, I'll have to get to that. Admittedly I have never watched The Shining all in one sitting. I'm a bit meh about Kubrick myself. It's elitist film making for the margins, I believe. Of course, Misery was good. But the books are so reliant on the minds eye, that movies are just a let down. You can't possibly fit it all in.
    The Mist has some questionable CGI in it, but the black & white actually does a pretty awesome job of masking some of the shortcomings of the effects. Plus, the lack of color actually adds to the '50s B-movie quality of the whole thing.

I liked both Misery and Dolores Claiborne. Carrie's pretty good, too.

I've always found it hilarious to hear how much King hates Kubrick's version of The Shining. While waaaaaaaay overrated, I think the film still has a lot going for it. But to hear Steve talk about it, you'd think it inappropriately touched his kid or something.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

A personal favourite that you should try Maggs (which is surprisingly absent from both of the lists Akbar put up links for) is The Third Man. If you enjoy film noir, this is one of the finest ever examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    A personal favourite that you should try Maggs (which is surprisingly absent from both of the lists Akbar put up links for) is The Third Man. If you enjoy film noir, this is one of the finest ever examples.
    Great recommendation, Wade.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    If you get the chance at some point watch Django by Sergio Corbucci, the inspiration for this film. Great film.
    I'm aiming to see it before I go watch this new one. I've heard that it's a good flick.

Quote Originally Posted by AWrestlingGod View Post
    Leonardo Dicaprio should be great as the racist slave owner.
    I should think so. DiCaprio's definitely got better as he's aged, so I'm sure he'll be great in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingfan66513 View Post
    I'm more excited to see Christoph Waltz as the German Bounty hunter. It reminds me of his part in Inglorious Bastards as the Nazi Jew hunter that got him an Oscar.
    I got that too. I loved Waltz in Inglorious, and I can't wait to see him in this one. Great actor.

Quote Originally Posted by AWrestlingGod View Post
    Yes all actors have been praised for there roles. Also critics are saying this is Tarantino's best work since Pulp Fiction. So excited.
    Really? That's definitely got me even more excited! Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies of all time (possibly my #1 favorite), so I'm eagerly anticipating this now!

Something wrong with Google? Don't read the lists on IMDB is all I can say.
    IMDB's lists are so 'off' it's ridiculous at times.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Blog Entries
    The only theatrical King adaptations that are worse than Maximum Overdive- I'm not even going to bother with the made-for-tv stuff because, holy fuckballs, the bulk of them are awful- are Dreamcatcher and Lawnmower Man.

The Mist has some questionable CGI in it, but the black & white actually does a pretty awesome job of masking some of the shortcomings of the effects. Plus, the lack of color actually adds to the '50s B-movie quality of the whole thing.

I liked both Misery and Dolores Claiborne. Carrie's pretty good, too.

I've always found it hilarious to hear how much King hates Kubrick's version of The Shining. While waaaaaaaay overrated, I think the film still has a lot going for it. But to hear Steve talk about it, you'd think it inappropriately touched his kid or something.
    Dreamcatcher was just a sad effort. I'm not even sure what that was meant to be. Yet another attempt by King to tell yet another story about a group of friends all grown up and dealing with some drama.
    A lot of people rave about It but I hated it - with the exception of Tim Curry. Hated the book too. The adaptations of The Tommyknockers and The Langoliers were the definition of tedium.
    I don't know how King can be critical of directors after the Maximum Overdrive debacle.
    I didn't mind The Dark Half and Christine, but it was likely because I enjoyed the books so much. I wish Thinner had been better too.

Blog Entries
    I must be the only person in the world that thought the Kill Bill movies were over the top crap.

I must be the only person in the world that thought the Kill Bill movies were over the top crap.
    Remember the last time we had this conversation and it resulted in you deleting a thread? Good times.

But, yeah, I think they're both brilliant. Vol. 1 might even be my favorite thing Tarantino has ever done.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Remember the last time we had this conversation and it resulted in you deleting a thread? Good times.

But, yeah, I think they're both brilliant. Vol. 1 might even be my favorite thing Tarantino has ever done.
    Oh wow. Vaguely? Sounds like something I'd do. I didn't really lock it into the old memory box though. But to be honest, not a lot stays there these days! Anyway, I didn't like it so FACK the Kill Bill!

Parting shot: Uma Thurman is the American Nicole Kidman.