- No Best Picture nomination for The Master or The Dark Knight Rises
- No directing nomination for Tom Hooper, even though Les Miz is one of the best received movies of the year
- Anthony Hopkins got shut out for Hitchcock despite it being the sort of thing the Globes usually eat right up
- Quvenzhane Wallis didn't get recognized for her brilliant work in Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Nicole Kidman did get nominated for The Paperboy (WTF?)
- Game of Thrones didn't get a single nomination for anything (Dinklage won a Globe last year)
And this is just the stuff off the top of my head.
None of this is really worth caring about (both the Globes and the Oscars are pointless affairs that hardly ever recognize the talent truly most deserving as they're more political affairs than anything else) but there were most definitely some shake-ups and surprises this year.