Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by URATOOL View Post
    Every title in sports entertainment is merely a way of raising a competitor above their peers for an amount of time. Nothing more. A good title run is all about how entertaining the performer is during their reign. A heel run with a title, where they avoid defending as often as they can, can actually be more entertaining than a bland run with loads of predictable or boring defences. Frequency of defences is a ridiculous marker of entertainment. Titles are purely props in pro wrestling. Nothing more.
    Agreed. Titles are nothing more than props, and eventually, if you're established enough, you reach a point in your career where holding one is meaningless. Cena is the best example of main-eventer that no longer needs world title reigns. Kingston is the same way as a mid-carder with the secondary titles.

I thought Barrett was going too be a good IC Champion. But I was sadly mistaken.
    He has been a terrible champion. Both him and Cesaro have been crap.
    They have had no decent feuds. They have added nothing too the belts IMO.
    So I would much prefer it if they scrapped those two belts.

This is why they should have had Barrett vs Jericho so he can finally get a victory over someone meaningful. By the way, Kofi's last reign wasn't that impressive either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    I thought Barrett was going too be a good IC Champion. But I was sadly mistaken.
    He has been a terrible champion. Both him and Cesaro have been crap.
    They have had no decent feuds. They have added nothing too the belts IMO.
    So I would much prefer it if they scrapped those two belts.
    Can't disagree more about Cesaro. I think he's done wonderful as US champ. He's had more promo time since gaining the title and he's taken that opportunity with both hands and shown that he can talk well on the mic. He's had impressive showings in that he's performed his Neutralizer finisher on some impressive people such as Brodus Clay and The Great Khali. He's played the 'I'm not an American but I'm your US champ and you're going to like it' role well. Sure, since Wrestlemania season has got under way he hasn't had as much opportunity, but that was to be expected, since every year the mid card takes a back seat during this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne View Post
    This is why they should have had Barrett vs Jericho so he can finally get a victory over someone meaningful. By the way, Kofi's last reign wasn't that impressive either.
    None of Kingston's IC title reigns have been impressive.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Lets just hope Miz's reign with be more gripping.

Blog Entries
    Lets just hope Miz's reign with be more gripping.
    Adamant that Miz is wining eh?
    Not that I'm complaining. I think Miz has better mic skills than Barrett right now, and has more pedigree in that he's accomplished more in WWE thus far. His last IC title right wasn't anything special though (Don't remember that? Neither do I).

As long as they actually put effort into giving the title a meaningful feud and storyline then all will be well whoever holds the title.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Every title in sports entertainment is merely a way of raising a competitor above their peers for an amount of time. Nothing more. A good title run is all about how entertaining the performer is during their reign. A heel run with a title, where they avoid defending as often as they can, can actually be more entertaining than a bland run with loads of predictable or boring defences. Frequency of defences is a ridiculous marker of entertainment. Titles are purely props in pro wrestling. Nothing more.

That’s an understandable perspective, which is why I stated that my view on championship reigns is more of a “classic” outlook. The reigns that I put more value into are the ones that have a driven focus on someone doing everything they can to keep a hold of their prized possession. Cody’s reign didn’t have that for me as he would talk about the belt, but there was never a credible threat of him losing the title; the reign was more about making Cody look good with a prop than it was about him being a great IC champion (even if he said it 20,000 times). Had it been Cody sneaking away with title wins or even him finding loopholes to avoid defending, I would give the reign more credit, but the time spent with the belt was focused on his character development in relation to making him seem on Randy’s level; which was an obvious fallacy as Cody now sits where he’s at less than a year after losing the belt.

And frequency of defenses isn’t the key to a successful reign for me; just a key ingredient. I compared Cody to Devon in that both reigns had title defenses few and far between them. Both men were/are featured in tag matches during their time holding the belt. But you would say that Cody’s reign was better simply because you enjoy the transformation of Cody. My argument is that they are the same type of title reign; focused on the character, not on the characters desire to be seen as one of the better athletes in that specific division/card placement. With a title run like Ziggler’s, at least he gave off the appearance of being the next big thing due to his reign with the mid-card belt, which is how I feel the title should be used; a stepping stone. This is why Ziggler was able to move from Upper Mid-Card to Main Event level and manage to stay with it until he got traction in a division with much bigger fish, whereas Cody was being talked about as the next potential WHC champion only to be in the position he finds himself in this year. This is not a bash on Cody as he will be in the main event level soon, but if his title run had been more than just a prop he was holding, I feel they could have used his reign to catapult him like many others to another level. As I said before, we have differing opinions and I am perfectly okay with that; you are right in that the titles are props these days but I feel that they can be used for more than that in order to help developing mid-carders into more threatening and credible main eventers.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone