Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Normal Member
    Would be putting the title on the miz be any better though??

really?
    Last edited by rossmiller84; 03-26-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Spelling

Typical WM season in recent years really. The mid card titles get shit on somewhat over the two main titles and other main event talent matches.

I think (and hope) Barrett and Cesaro will both do much better post WM.

People might laugh at this, but the last time a mid-card belt REALLY shined was when Ryder ended Ziggler's lengthy run and captured the U.S. title. That finish got one of the biggest pops of the entire year. The next night on Raw: Ryder, DB, and Punk were celebrating their title victories. They were proud to hold them and it made the titles feel valuable and important.

Fast forward a few weeks, an EXTREMELY stale Jack Swagger takes the title off Ryder, than the title flip flops around for months on end until now, where the mid-card champs are used as sacrificial lambs to boost credibility of floating uppercard guys (Sheamus, Ryback, Orton, etc). Cesaro is phenomonal - a total stud athlete with ridiculous strength, agility, and grace. Barretts great too. But, the booking for those belts has just crumbled in recent months, and it's hurting the titleholders just as much as its hurting the titles they hold. It's frustrating.

Miz vs Barrett is a perfectly suitable offering for an Intercontinental match at Mania - but it's failed in its buildup. They've fought like 45 times in the last few months, why should we want to pay to see them fight a singles match at Mania? Can we get an in-ring face-to-face heated promo? Something?
    Last edited by El T Draino 316; 03-26-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

"I'm so damn good when I'm finished there won't be a dry eye - or dry seat - sorry ladies - in the entire arena." #HEEL

Is it creatives fault? That's the strongest possibility. Is it Barrett's fault? That could be a possibility too.

All I know is there was a thread I saw, I think it was in the last couple of days, that people were wanting Barrett pushed to the WWE or WHC picture.

I just hope that those people who were calling for him to do so, are not complaining about his bland IC reign. If so, you might have your question answered as to why he is not in the main event right now. Because if he can't have a memorable IC reign right now, what makes anyone think a WHC or WWE reign will be epic?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V View Post
    Is it creatives fault? That's the strongest possibility. Is it Barrett's fault? That could be a possibility too.

All I know is there was a thread I saw, I think it was in the last couple of days, that people were wanting Barrett pushed to the WWE or WHC picture.

I just hope that those people who were calling for him to do so, are not complaining about his bland IC reign. If so, you might have your question answered as to why he is not in the main event right now. Because if he can't have a memorable IC reign right now, what makes anyone think a WHC or WWE reign will be epic?
    WWE creative put little to no effort into their mid card titles and the feuds involving those titles (especially at this time of the year).

What they do put a lot of effort into is their main title feuds. If Barrett were to be put in a main event feud, he would flourish much more than he's doing with the IC title right now. Because he'd have more tv time, more material to work with, more effort being put into the stuff the creative team write for him etc.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    WWE creative put little to no effort into their mid card titles and the feuds involving those titles (especially at this time of the year).

What they do put a lot of effort into is their main title feuds. If Barrett were to be put in a main event feud, he would flourish much more than he's doing with the IC title right now. Because he'd have more tv time, more material to work with, more effort being put into the stuff the creative team write for him etc.
    I like Barrett, don't get me wrong. And even with the lack of creative effort, some guys can just make stuff interesting without writers.

I don't think his IC reign has been bad. The mid card titles in general are so watered down, that it almost doesn't matter. I just think Barrett isn't ready yet to be the man. He was a main eventer for a period of time already. But I think he can be in the future. I actually think he is a large part of the future.
    Last edited by Playboy Stevie V; 03-26-2013 at 02:43 PM.

There's something that's not quite clicking with Barrett. I think it's the very same something that's not clicking with Cesaro. What that is, I'm not entirely sure. If I were to take a stab at it, I'd say that they're creating gimmicks for these guys and totally not following through with them.

Okay, so Cesaro's a former rugby player that was kicked out for excessive aggression. Where's the excessive aggression? To me, this is the kind of character that should be ambushing people backstage, beating up on an already pinned opponent after the bell, making a guy tap out and keeping the hold locked in after the bell with this vicious dog-like look on his face with the refs trying to pry him off. So far he's been relatively tame... in fact, kind of the opposite when you think about it. He's got a clean, distinguished feel to him.

For Wade Barrett... I'm not even sure what his gimmick is now. If you look at the whole bare knuckle champion thing that they were putting him over with, he used a lot of strikes and it was working for awhile. Then he had his injury. If I recall people were slating him to be a future world champion, a future Money in the Bank winner. He came back with this whole "I went to underground fight clubs to re-ignite the fire in my belly" thing, and they gave him the elbow. Good... that's a start, but that was kind of the end also. I mean really, it's not a gimmick so much as it is a back-story. Cesaro's rugby thing is a back-story too but the aggression thing could've transferred into a gimmick. How do you transfer a former fist fighter into a gimmick? Give him a couple of fist moves, but what else can they do with that? I thought they should've put him in a street fight with Bo Dallas to get his just deserts for the little one-ups Bo was getting on him. I don't think they can do much with the fist fighter thing but every once and awhile at least give him that.
    Last edited by Viperfish; 03-26-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rossmiller84 View Post
    Would be putting the title on the miz be any better though??

really?
    Miz is on television 3 times a week. Sometimes 4. Even if they booked him the same way they do Barrett, at least we would be aware of who the IC Champion IS.

Quote Originally Posted by MachoManFan View Post
    Big Zeke says hi!
    I agree Barrett's reign has been pretty crappy but it's not as bad as Zeke or Big Show's recent IC runs. In fact looking at the last 3 years or so only Cody's 200+ days reign did anything to make the intercontinental title worthwhile.
    Haha but seriously he is on par with Zeke now i think well except he isn't injured!

It's all about the feud. When a feud is calm people can care less. There has to be something personal added along to make things interesting. Look at the other matches at wrestlemania, and then look at the U.S and I.C. titles.

One champion doesn't even have a match currentlybecause no one is built up as a believable threat to challenge him, while the one that has a match is having one with the person that couldn't win the other mid card title. This has little to no build up what so ever for either mid card titles challenged by the same person. Punk vs Taker is now personal. HHH vs Lesnar is personal . The WWE title goes without saying even though many don't like one or the other in the match for their reasons, and look at the WHC. All of those matches have something at stake, but them being personal makes them worth tuning in for. Even the Bellas have something more going with their fued than the mid card titles.

Drama sets the tone, not just being a loud mouth that has nothing important to say. It's the same for movies and other TV shows. People can talk all they want, but if some sort of action is involved to make it personal, it makes the match more to look forward to. You could hit someone then start fighting for no reason and it could be a good fight, but if you hit them and you say "I fucked your mom" and laugh while you hit them then there is more to the story that makes it more interesting. The match has to tell a story too, however, there are a lot of good matches that get overlooked because there was nothing personal involved. If we don't have a tone set that grips us and at the same time makes things less predictable (I know, I know) then we don't care.

There are many good wrestlers that are better than what they are but they hold back to tell a story to the audience. Telling a story makes us forget the obvious things that everyone should be questioning. Example: Cena beat HHH and HBK at separate wrestlmanias' but he couldn't beat the miz? Seriously? Can any of you believe that the 3MB could take out the Shield? IF 3MB wasn't a joke and built properly they could have been the Shield. Personal build-up for the feuds is what's missing.